PDA

View Full Version : ready mix for texturing

BiGbAd
21-12-2008, 07:04 PM
I want to create a plaster effect in our spare room. Can I use jointing compound to create a stipple or swirl pattern on the ceiling?
Theres a tub of ready mix left over by the taper and jointer and didnt want to waste it.
Thanks!

the_tapeinator
21-12-2008, 08:13 PM
If the ceilings recently been taped, you can. If it hasnt been painted then you can apply it directly onto the boards without any PVA solution. It may take days for this stuff to dry if it is a heavy texture, so if you need it to dry out in a hurry I would use a real texturing compound like artex which sets hard within an hour or so.

amestaper
22-12-2008, 05:33 PM
I've used it and had no problems. Just remember to prime coat then paint it. I dont think it would stay up long otherwise.

23-12-2008, 12:03 PM
That stuffs sets hard as nails and tricky to sand, good idea to use it up doing a ceiling texture.

amestaper
04-01-2009, 08:55 PM
That stuffs sets hard as nails and tricky to sand, good idea to use it up doing a ceiling texture.

I agree. I wouldnt use the Gyproc brand standard Ready Mix for taping, under any circumstances. Had problems with it in the past and would use either Lafarge Readymix Lite or the newer Gyproc ProMix Lite. I prefer to mix my own joint cement given the choice.

BiGbAd
27-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Thanks for all you help as it worked out good. :fing02: