PDA

View Full Version : sheetrock training,anyone on here done it

bosmorau
09-01-2010, 08:27 PM
i have been reading up on this level five finish and i know they do a training course but would like to know if anyone has done it and what they think as i am considering doing it myself if it's not too expensive, i think i can scrape enough together to buy the equipment but would like to here opinions for and against from my fellow professionals

it looks a good system but how well known/used is it in the uk ?, how much is the training and what are the opportunities for work on completion, its all well and good getting trained up but if architects are not specifying the system where is the work coming from.

amestaper
09-01-2010, 10:02 PM
I've been impressed with what I've seen from both quality of finish and easy peasyness of application as you dont even have to finish the taping before you start spraying. The taping stage involves a flat tape covered with a 7 inch box and everything else gets bedded in with one coat??? Thats all then you spray it with pro spray, followed by a coat of tuff hide or redi wall.

Training courses were free the last time I asked. If you are a large company like these main contractors (http://europe.usg.com/index.php?id=2482) and regularly work on projects of this size (http://europe.usg.com/index.php?id=2480) then I wouldn't see a problem because they can train all your guys on site. For sole traders and small sub contractors like I am, it probably isn't worth their time or effort and you would be better getting trained up on someone elses job. I know I would be good at it but I just dont have a local large school or hospital contract to invite them around.

You made a good point in your last question. Where is the work coming from because I have never been asked by any architect or client to provide this finish. I believe level5 is a trademark or copyright belonging to USG and they only tender the work out to their approved contractors or ambassadors (http://europe.usg.com/index.php?id=2481) who are trained by them in plasterboard, concrete and blockwork finishes.

Thats my take on the system and I am a bit disappointed I havent done the course either bosmorau. If I'm wrong then the guys from USG are welcome to join in and correct me. I've also given 3 links back to their site and the horses mouth to see what the official word is.

Just thinking. Why don't we all have a taping forum level 5 training week get together thingy at USG, then we can all go and get drunk down the pub?

TonyM
09-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Just thinking. Why don't we all have a taping forum level 5 training week get together thingy at USG, then we can all go and get drunk down the pub?

Is that before, during or after the course?

TonyM
09-01-2010, 10:52 PM
On a serious note. I think the system is probably quite good if you have an eye for detail and take pride in your work. I've heard reports on these skim drywall systems and most of them slated the finish, remarking on there being quite a stipply finish, how the whole process takes longer than traditional skim, and how it's very labour intensive. I don't see it as a system that the small subby can use. It's always going to be the big boys who want umpteen hundreds or thousands of metres turned out in 5 minutes with a large number of operatives on site all rushing around looking busy. It's ok for Sheetrock to say that you'll get more business out of it because you can offer different colours etc, and take part of the finishing contract off the painters, but in turn you are going to piss the painters off by taking their work. If you live in a small county like I do, then word gets round. You don't shit on your own doorstep.

bosmorau
10-01-2010, 12:07 AM
surely it could be just as attractive to the self builder looking for a quality finish thats goiing to save him some money or the small buider or devoloper, these types of business cant afford to use the big boys.

re a training week at usg good idea , are they missing a trick by not getting guys like us on board and are they losing business by concentrating solely on the large companies.

DMS
11-01-2010, 02:07 PM
I innitially helped USG get the training going & promoted the level 5 finish. Currently they are offering training for free, only if you have a job or have shown you are serious by buying the equipment. the reason being when they innitially started promoting the system, they spent alot of time training people who didnt then folow through. The system is being spec'd more and more particularly in the north east but it is also in play in the south west, london and manchester areas. Pretty much everything amestaper noted is correct. I can provide the equipment and training if necessary, otherwise USG will generally send their demonstrator down to train you once the job kicks off. It is pretty straight forward.
Dan Mills 0786 795 3014

belmoreboy
11-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Great idea and nice finish from what ive seen - biggest issue i have is the same as others - just not seeing it specified anywhere and we are pricing for some fairly large contracts (schools, cinemas, hospitals etc)

when i have mentioned it to surveyors and contracts managers on some of the larger jobs they just look puzzled and have never heard of level 5 system.

I think im correct in saying that most people on here have only heard about system here on forum !! (more education needed i feel)

drywall finisher
31-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Have you guys heard of
Drywall Finishing Council ?

Drywall Finishing Council is a Not For Profit, Mutual Benefit Organization that seeks to represent the issues that are commonly faced by manufacturers of materials used in the finishing of drywall.
The Drywall Finishing Council was founded in 1992 as a small group of manufactures of drywall finishing materials. Founding members were united by concerns over a lack of industry standards related to both specification and application procedures and a shared commitment to address these issues.

www.dwfc.org (http://www.dwfc.org)

drywall finisher

phil
31-03-2010, 11:25 PM
i have been reading up on this level five finish and i know they do a training course but would like to know if anyone has done it and what they think as i am considering doing it myself if it's not too expensive, i think i can scrape enough together to buy the equipment but would like to here opinions for and against from my fellow professionals

it looks a good system but how well known/used is it in the uk ?, how much is the training and what are the opportunities for work on completion, its all well and good getting trained up but if architects are not specifying the system where is the work coming from.

i have been on sites where they have used this, and i have used sto, and knauf who have similar systems, it is very good, i think its better on larger sites, it really comes into its own when you are working on large areas, you can really cover large areas, a hand application of skim cant compete, two men spray skimming can do what five or six hand applicators can do. however you need to put some money in, a graco mark v airless machine is a must but its about 3.8K at least then you need a hopper and a roller which is a further 800, then you need to know how to use it. predicted application rates will only be achieved with a lot of practice. but its very forgiving and the finish is fantastic. having used these spray skims i would have my doubts about doing small areas as there are quite a few hours spent waiting to be able to do the next part of the application, this isnt a problem on larger sites. you tape joint apply the spray skim, spatula it flat which will fill any holes etc, lightly sand it down to remove any spatula marks and then protect it with a spray applied primer surfacer, which will also help fill any small dents etc. thats it, so basically its ready to be topcoated. USG also provide a coloured primer surfacer which means that the decorator will only need to apply a mist coat in the same colour to finish. excellent idea. typical charges are a bit strange at the moment but they average between 6 & 10 pm2 depending on size and how complex it is. hope this helps, and if i have got anything wrong or forgotten anything please feel free to add to this.

DMS
07-04-2010, 02:56 PM
i have been on sites where they have used this, and i have used sto, and knauf who have similar systems, it is very good, i think its better on larger sites, it really comes into its own when you are working on large areas, you can really cover large areas, a hand application of skim cant compete, two men spray skimming can do what five or six hand applicators can do. however you need to put some money in, a graco mark v airless machine is a must but its about 3.8K at least then you need a hopper and a roller which is a further 800, then you need to know how to use it. predicted application rates will only be achieved with a lot of practice. but its very forgiving and the finish is fantastic. having used these spray skims i would have my doubts about doing small areas as there are quite a few hours spent waiting to be able to do the next part of the application, this isnt a problem on larger sites. you tape joint apply the spray skim, spatula it flat which will fill any holes etc, lightly sand it down to remove any spatula marks and then protect it with a spray applied primer surfacer, which will also help fill any small dents etc. thats it, so basically its ready to be topcoated. USG also provide a coloured primer surfacer which means that the decorator will only need to apply a mist coat in the same colour to finish. excellent idea. typical charges are a bit strange at the moment but they average between 6 & 10 pm2 depending on size and how complex it is. hope this helps, and if i have got anything wrong or forgotten anything please feel free to add to this.

That is more or less it, though we can an offer a kit which includes the hopper bag roller and mark V for significantly less than 4600.00. the finish is very straight forward, it shouldn't take meor than a week to get used to it and get a full head of steam going.