PDA

View Full Version : how low would you go m2 price to get a contract (PRICE WISE)

SMITHS DECOR
03-02-2010, 02:31 PM
How low people you guys go with your m2 price to get a contract?
or even if you had to do price work for a company?

TonyM
03-02-2010, 04:15 PM
2.50 supply & fix, for 3 coats, sanded,and the boarding had better be good. If I think that there is an excessive amount of bead work, then that would be charged for too.

belmoreboy
03-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Same as Tony but would prefer 3.00 - Actually what am i on about would Prefer 5.00 !!:D
Prices have been the same or less this year than 5 years ago (sad state really!) especially when everyone else seems to increase prices every year without fail (eg materials)

TonyM
03-02-2010, 05:02 PM
I'm doing a few jobs at the moment. One at 2.25 labour only, one at 3.50 s&f + extra for beads, and one at 120 a day daywork + materials. It's what you can get! I'm not prepared to work for f*ck all.

amestaper
03-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Get in there with the ultimate question on everyones mind....

I would charge a little less than last years prices, and maybe, just maybe, take an even thinner slice off it if the job was a large one to keep me busy for several months. Renovation work is still commanding half decent prices at the moment. A price war isnt a good thing when materials and fuel prices are sky high, just try and raise your prices when things return to the way they were. Some of your customers would go elsewhere.

Like Tony I dont take kindly to customers taking the piss and knowing what I am going to charge even before I measure the job, because everyone including your competitors then knows your square metre rates and will beat your prices every time you bid against them.

You've got to have something else in your box of tricks to compete with other than just a keen quote. Surely?

turrican_007
04-02-2010, 08:59 AM
We have just taken on a job for 1.70m2 labour only, the only good side is its 12,000 m2 and its close to home, But i bet when we start (on Monday) the phone rings with a better offer. So do you hang out for the the better price or take whats offered? I know what i`ve done, but what would you lot do?

coastaldrywall
04-02-2010, 09:32 AM
i have had phone calls from guys willing to work for 1.50m2 labour only, so somewhere along the line we are a little to blame, because everyone is dropping prices to get work, i know a couple of guys that have worked for us in the past, that would always do three coats but have now dropped to doing two coats because the prices are bad, so now they just use easy fill for everything and put two coats on.

Sometimes its not the price its the meterage, like turrican_007 said they have 12,000 to do at 1.70 labour only, its close to home, labour only at 1.70 with meterage like that you could make a killing, if there is enough area ready to go at and you can box and bazooka, you can soon knock some meterage out,

SMITHS DECOR
04-02-2010, 12:48 PM
I have just came off the phone to mate of mine and he has been offered 1 per m2 and 90p m2 for beads(labour only ofcourse) but the advantage is that there is alot of m2 in front of him(a few years work) would you guys do it
things must be really bad tho.....

TonyM
04-02-2010, 04:17 PM
I have just came off the phone to mate of mine and he has been offered 1 per m2 and 90p m2 for beads(labour only ofcourse) but the advantage is that there is alot of m2 in front of him(a few years work) would you guys do it
things must be really bad tho.....

No, because someone will come along soon and do it for 90p and you'll have to drop your price or be off down the road. Tell them to get f*cked.

SMITHS DECOR
04-02-2010, 04:35 PM
yeah thats what I said but then you have to weigh up the options cause then you have a couple of years work in front of you then nego the price after say 6 months hopefully when things pick up. its up to him at the end of the day and I know what I would do.

turrican_007
04-02-2010, 05:24 PM
If you need the work take it mate, pride before a fall and all that...

belmoreboy
04-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Thats crazy prices what the hells going on in the trade right now!

ps Turican_007 just realised who you are, hope things are good

Marcus

SMITHS DECOR
05-02-2010, 09:18 PM
as the song goes

THINGS COULD ONLY GET BETTER....... Hopefully anyway.

thomas.savage
06-02-2010, 08:40 AM
Well all is pants for anyone working in the south west at the moment. its getting busy again but i am supplying and fix for 1.67. working for burnum plastering. others pay a little more some a little less... our margins are eroding every year, the jobs a waste of time unless your super quick and that brings its own problems (drying times pressure ect). i can two coat a four bed in ten hours on my own to a good standard but its asking alot to do this regularly. i used too but getting old now lol would love a powerful electric fan heater in every house, and practical stair safe system over a price rise. the respect has gone and we all get treated like naughty kids these days. i for one am loosing my motavation!

Captain perfect
06-02-2010, 09:31 AM
After taking nearly 9 months off with no work, but still pricing the odd job, Things have started to pick up this year with sevaral
enquries, I refused to drop or lower my prices by more than 15% which in the short term cost me work. But many a contractor
is now coming unstuck as subbies struggle to meet their commitments & or overheads.

I have just picked up 7 3.5 million houses for a timber frame company who we regulary worked for but decided to
take on cheaper labour, They are now living to regret it! on 1 unit alone they had a 2.5K bill from the painters.

PAY CHEAP PAY TWICE

crack filler
06-02-2010, 09:17 PM
what you have to take into account is can you afford not to do it, if you have been out of work for a little while the bills are probably stacking up, in a perfect world we would all stick together and refuse to go that low but in reallity if you don't do it someone else will. If your subbing do it and walk away when it gets better elsewhere.
I had a site agent on a show house last week newly promoted snagging my work with a torch and his nose 6inches from the wall, no price pays for that.

The point is do whats best for you our time will come around again and they will pay for good tradesmen.

turrican_007
07-02-2010, 09:44 AM
I know a lot of bad tapers that have had no work for ages, and i know good tapers that have had work but at a reduced rate.
The contractors are having to drop there price to get the work themself, because of the competition. So the lower rate will be passed onto us, thats business. If you have continued to work over the last 2 years at whatever rate you must be a half decent taper. The contractors can pick and choose, they dont have to put up with shite trademans at the moment, and when the industry picks up it tapers like us, that will be in a strong position to get the rates we deserve and the contractors know that. Contractors will pay for good tapers but only when they are getting the rate that they want....

PAY CHEAP PAY TWICE, not always true my friend...

p.s. Hi Marcus

matt
07-02-2010, 06:08 PM
I know of Painting Contractors in Scotland who have been paying 1 m2 rates for the last ten years and getting away with it. They get the rough squad in pay them shite money, pay a supervisor to go round and pencil it all up, get the guys back in to fix it before they will release the huge retentions they have taken. If they just pay decent guys decent money then there is no supervisor with a copper pipe roaming around in a company van!!
Waste of money

thomas.savage
07-02-2010, 06:40 PM
iv been on strike twice in the last ten months. in the end we all do what we have too. in an ideal world it would be lovely to be able to allow every coat to dry and do a perfect job but in this country thats impossible without propper heating. no contractor wants to pay for heaters nor do they like the idea of leaving a job to dry inbetween coats. you only go back to top off, to find the dumb c**ts have put the kitchen in and the chippy is getting a cob on because you have started to throw his shit out the window lol... had some dumb painter miss coat one of my units the other day befor i had rubbed it down...painters dont know enough to charge a battery never mind contra charge me... i say we all get together and burn down the headquaters of barrats and persimmon etc. its us the workers that are paying for the down turn, i got a tax rebate this year for the first time since i went self employed, it was i nice suprise but then again it was confirmation that i had earned f*ck all in 2008 2009...

saleen836
07-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Well all is pants for anyone working in the south west at the moment. its getting busy again but i am supplying and fix for 1.67. working for burnum plastering. others pay a little more some a little less... our margins are eroding every year, the jobs a waste of time unless your super quick and that brings its own problems (drying times pressure ect). i can two coat a four bed in ten hours on my own to a good standard but its asking alot to do this regularly. i used too but getting old now lol would love a powerful electric fan heater in every house, and practical stair safe system over a price rise. the respect has gone and we all get treated like naughty kids these days. i for one am loosing my motavation!
That would be just walls only with cove to every room! otherwise your either doing a really really rough job or talking pants!

thomas.savage
08-02-2010, 11:15 AM
That would be just walls only with cove to every room! otherwise your either doing a really really rough job or talking pants!
thats a no on both fronts, coving is a thing of the past down my way as too is artex. i have had consistent work for one of the best drylining contractors in the country for the past four years. things have been a little shit over the past two years but every one suffering. if i was rough i would not be working in the ressesion! was not bragging just expressing my situation like very one else on this site. i do two coat, although can three coat a four stroke five bed in a day with a decent lad doing the mixing, nails, fetch and carry and putting up the internals... could send you referances if you want lol!

matt
08-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Can I ask is this with a spray machine you are talking about?

saleen836
08-02-2010, 09:07 PM
thats a no on both fronts, coving is a thing of the past down my way as too is artex. i have had consistent work for one of the best drylining contractors in the country for the past four years. things have been a little shit over the past two years but every one suffering. if i was rough i would not be working in the ressesion! was not bragging just expressing my situation like very one else on this site. i do two coat, although can three coat a four stroke five bed in a day with a decent lad doing the mixing, nails, fetch and carry and putting up the internals... could send you referances if you want lol!

Care to name this drylining contractor? If your saying you can tape up and apply 3 coats in one day to a 4/5 bed house with a decent lad, do you also use this decent lad to 2 coat the 3 bed house in 10 hours?

Captain perfect
08-02-2010, 09:27 PM
although I can three coat a four stroke five bed in a day with a decent lad doing the mixing, putting the tapes on, ,nails heads 2 coated, External beads,fetch and carry and putting up the internals & sanding... could send you referances if you want lol!

Corrected for you:):)

PS
Does he have any brothers?

thomas.savage
09-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Can I ask is this with a spray machine you are talking about?
no all by hand apart from the internals, i use a syring, columbia three inch finishing head. put them up by hand using the syringe and applicator, put tape in by hand and roll in with north star corner roller then glid over with better than ever two inch flusher. leave for a bit then finish with angle head. i am not rough and dont talk bollocks... well i dont lie at least lol

thomas.savage
09-02-2010, 06:19 PM
working on my own, need a slave!

matt
09-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Can't believe you're still hand taping and you've been earning good money with one of the best drylining outfits for past 4 years. Get your slave some tools you miserable git!

swazi
11-02-2010, 06:59 PM
I've had all kinds of prices thrown at me. some good some bad. some of the worst prices I've worked for was for a company that offered 2,50/m only to subtract every opening ( doors, windows, access panels) from the measure. The site was death trap too with every trade in all areas trying to do their job at the same time.
I'm now working for 1,30/m and making more money than I have in a couple years due to good organization and very large runs. All water and materials are delivered promptly to where I'm working and the area is cleared of everything and closed to me until I finish. The area is also well heated with electric fan heaters so drying is pretty good, even in this weather. Makes the job very productive and easy to do and I can make a decent amount every week while still doing a proper job that is snag free.
Price per metre can be misleading sometimes because conditions on site can make an enormous difference.

If you can negotiate certain site conditions, then it is possible to make money at what seems like low prices. I guess this is where trade awareness comes into it. what I mean is, the client needs to know how taping works and how to get the most out of it for the lowest price. To often I see work done in a completely inefficient manner, where everyone loses. The taper and the client...

turrican_007
27-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Have been told that a big dry lining firm (in Uxbridge!) are paying the jointers 60 day to tape and joint with no price work.. take it or leave it, and they are taking it! I trust the information as the last i heard they were paying 90p m2 on price work and for that you had to paper tape all joints and all windows and door openings were taken out the price. God bless Great Britain.

the_legend
27-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Have been told that a big dry lining firm (in Uxbridge!) are paying the jointers 60 day to tape and joint with no price work.. take it or leave it, and they are taking it! I trust the information as the last i heard they were paying 90p m2 on price work and for that you had to paper tape all joints and all windows and door openings were taken out the price. God bless Great Britain.

f**cking must be jokeing turrican,that cant be right 60 bucks are they stupid,does the company supply tape tools or do they have to bring there own?? there at it if thats right mate, hope they go tits up miserable bastards, hope you dont work for the twats?:nono:

Captain perfect
27-02-2010, 03:29 PM

Any one who will work for This major three letter firm, for this money is a true MUG,,

as they will still snag your work to f*ck so they can knock you even more $$

When I started out I used to house bash for them in the winter months when things were quiet,
very handy for re building the stock levels,

coastaldrywall
27-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Jim Burke must be making a fortune

turrican_007
27-02-2010, 04:41 PM

I know a cover who did 2 flats for them after Christmas because he needed the work,didnt ask the price, did the flats (lounge and hall) and got 7.00 for each one, and they were on the top floor!, not funny but i laughed my c*ck off when he told me,and so did he, hehehehe,

the_legend
27-02-2010, 06:25 PM
why does anybody do work for them???:confused:

turktown taper
01-03-2010, 07:50 PM
bloody robbers !!!

pompey jake
04-03-2010, 08:23 PM
i reakon i could work for 50p a merte in fact ill work for free fuk it

Captain perfect
04-03-2010, 08:33 PM
But how much would you charge to sort this shite out

pompey jake
04-03-2010, 08:36 PM
told ya ill do it for free just pick me up :fing02:

Captain perfect
04-03-2010, 08:42 PM
told ya ill do it for free just pick me up :fing02:

I'll be round @ 5;30 am cheers :D

pompey jake
04-03-2010, 08:45 PM
ok i live in waterlooville near portsmouth haha :p

geordieboy
19-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Thats crazy prices what the hells going on in the trade right now!

ps Turican_007 just realised who you are, hope things are good

Marcus
agree, how can you run a taping business on 1 m2 when everything else has gone up in price eg materials , van insurance , public liability insurance, fuel prices , drywall taping is a hard physical game to be in , why are we selling ourselves short ,people are stating they were getting nearly 4 per m2 just 5 years ago , we have to stick to our prices

DMC
22-10-2011, 03:03 PM
We should all stick to our prices and our pride, but what we should and what we will probably do is another matter.

Slip n Slide
08-11-2011, 09:52 AM
Prices and Pride ? in fairness as just joined here and loooking thru other threads about 20% to 30% cuts from 99% of contractors, i would work for bare minimum having no major overheads or other ppl to worry about i cannot afford to think my pride is going to pay my morgage. if its enough to keep the Wolf's away from my door then you do what has to be done .. Ill Pride myself in keeping a roof over my head.

amestaper
08-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Why would you want to let your pride and principals slip when you know for sure that some quantity surveyors and architects are continuing to charge 6.50+ per m2 during these days of supposed austerity/belt tightening and making 3 to 4 times more than you ever will without striking a blow? Thats quite a lucrative business model if you can run a site with 1000's of workers making billions in profit for shareholders dont you think?

DMC
08-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Prices and Pride ? in fairness as just joined here and loooking thru other threads about 20% to 30% cuts from 99% of contractors, i would work for bare minimum having no major overheads or other ppl to worry about i cannot afford to think my pride is going to pay my morgage. if its enough to keep the Wolf's away from my door then you do what has to be done .. Ill Pride myself in keeping a roof over my head.

So even if your prices were chopped midway through a contract by your employer, because they know they can you would just accept it?

geordieboy
08-11-2011, 03:57 PM

slip & slide you are the sort of guy the builders are looking for someone who will do the work for the bare minimum , you will get a lot of work,what i was trying to state was that if everyone stuck to their prices they would still have to get us in to do the work. do you think mechanics , lawyers , suppliers , insurance companies etc...... dropped their prices recently , no they have put them up , so why should we in the building trade drop our prices to what it was 10 years ago , i will tell you why , because of people like you doing the work for next to nothing.

jase hag
08-11-2011, 04:02 PM
slip & slide you are the sort of guy the builders are looking for someone who will do the work for the bare minimum , you will get a lot of work,what i was trying to state was that if everyone stuck to their prices they would still have to get us in to do the work. do you think mechanics , lawyers , suppliers , insurance companies etc...... dropped their prices recently , no they have put them up , so why should we in the building trade drop our prices to what it was 10 years ago , i will tell you why , because of people like you doing the work for next to nothing.
well said geordieboy

Slip n Slide
09-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Hey after a 30% crush on prices due the current state of the economy and ya have Kid on T0ol Tapers out there with a squad of 10 paying them 25 a shift and hammering the sites for < wont mention the names> who prefer production not quality working for the minimum isnt summit anyone wants to do .. but to even stay in the game long enough ya have to bite the bullet thats all ya can do .. saying no means either the above mentioned numpties and we all know a few of them or some polish outfit will just do the work . its How it is unless ya got some friendly contracts manager who ya can afford to take out to golf and maybe slip a few quid in his pockets to throw yer name in a hat .... Hey you give me someone who is gonna pay top rate and ill swap ya for the F*** Wit outfit givin us less than a 1 sq m. Like i said Wolfs dont take IOU'z

geordieboy
09-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Hey after a 30% crush on prices due the current state of the economy and ya have Kid on T0ol Tapers out there with a squad of 10 paying them 25 a shift and hammering the sites for < wont mention the names> who prefer production not quality working for the minimum isnt summit anyone wants to do .. but to even stay in the game long enough ya have to bite the bullet thats all ya can do .. saying no means either the above mentioned numpties and we all know a few of them or some polish outfit will just do the work . its How it is unless ya got some friendly contracts manager who ya can afford to take out to golf and maybe slip a few quid in his pockets to throw yer name in a hat .... Hey you give me someone who is gonna pay top rate and ill swap ya for the F*** Wit outfit givin us less than a 1 sq m. Like i said Wolfs dont take IOU'z

slip n slide if you look at one of the other threads on here, most people on here reckon they could tape on average to 500 sq m a week ,if your getting LESS than a 1 sq m that means you are getting a top line of under 500 a week thats if your taping to the average , take your tax off that,national insurance,fuel. public liability,tools ,van depreciation,accountant etc etc in my opinion its not worth doing it for that, i employ another guy & 1sq m wouldnt even cover his wages,i would wrap it in if i had to go less than 1 sq m

E.K Taper
09-11-2011, 10:22 PM
DMC and Geordieboy are right, dont drop your prices. I haven't dropped mine and my phone is ringing non stop, never been busier, not enough hours in the day. If you're good enough, people will pay for you, dont demean yourself by taking less.
I realise your talking about sitework but on there, you're just a number they will pump you the same as they pump the rest