PDA

View Full Version : Machine Taping Awareness

TonyM
08-02-2010, 07:37 PM
I can't believe the amount of jobs I go on, for companies that have been building timber frame houses for decades, and they look at me getting my tools out and say "what's that?" These tools have been around for ages but few builders and developers are aware of them. On the job I have just started, they thought I was going to rub down with a piece of sandpaper in my hand, because that's what the last bloke did.

crack filler
08-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Its not just tool awareness tony its job awareness, I still get "so you just paint over that now" or "do you plaster over that" and the best one from the site agents when I'm topping," when will you finish" reply today, then its "all rubbed down as well".
Seriously got to bang your head against a wall.:rolleyes:

belmoreboy
08-02-2010, 09:25 PM
I hear you both !!! been trying to get awareness out there for ages hope im doing a good job with the website and i send out stacks of info on taping tools to builders every week, oulining the benefits of taping over plastering in new build and renovation work.

In 2007/2008 we had stands at 5 toolfairs and even attended interbuild for the whole week.

It's hard work, but its what we get outta bed for in the morning!

And WHY WHY WHY do they still keep skimming timber frame and thinking its nice and modern to cove it and then wonder why it cracks at the ceiling line!!!!!! ARRRRRRGGGGHHHH! :mad:

It's up to us all to spread the word !

Good luck Taping Warriors

:D

swazi
11-02-2010, 06:27 PM
I hear all kinds of things from nearly every trade and level of position on site. Clueless springs to mind. Most often I get treated like some kind of magician who can fill anything, even gaping holes. when I explain that I need to put a patch in, they look at me like I'm over complicating things and ask, "can't you just bung a bit of filler in there". I've had them all really... "So, now you just rub it down do you?" after bedding tapes or after priming.

On the flip side, just think how they will try and squeeze the prices if they think machines can do it all, from the most ridiculous detail to simple flats. At the moment prices are bad and that's while they think you do it by hand.