PDA

View Full Version : Lafarge verses BG

turrican_007
14-02-2010, 07:21 AM
The site im working on is using Lafarge plasterboard and the rep has convinced me to try the new range of jointing compounds. I used there products about 6 years ago on a site that there spec was Lafarge products only, and to be honest i could`nt wait to get back to b.g.. Having told him this he has convinced me to give it another go because they have improved there jointing products now. The samples are being delivered when we start our new project in about 3 weeks. Has anybody tried the new Lafarge jointing materials and if so whats its like ?

amestaper
14-02-2010, 07:40 AM
I sampled a few tubs of GTEC ready mix in the autumn. No problems and was easier to sand than BG.

crack filler
14-02-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm using the Gtec trade joint cement at mo really like it

projoint
14-02-2010, 01:01 PM
lafarges joint filler (fast set) is great stuff, doesnt chip off in large chunks when you scrape your flexes back before second coating and doesn't shrink back a lot, and their finish (Joint cement) is very easy to sand down.
Don't like the Gtec smartmix (readymixed), seems really plasticy, really difficult to trowel up,They gave us some when they were developing it and we told them to bin the idea..horrible stuff.

turrican_007
14-02-2010, 01:13 PM
The rep told me that the joint filler is workable for 120mins (did not mention fast set) and to run it through a 7" box because of the time it gives you. Take the mesh out of the pump & run a brush stright through it for quick cleaning, Has anybody done this?

turrican_007
14-02-2010, 01:14 PM
I sampled a few tubs of GTEC ready mix in the autumn. No problems and was easier to sand than BG.

Do the sanding machines take to much off?

projoint
14-02-2010, 01:26 PM
The joint filler is what it's called now, used to be called fast set, typically I find it has a 90 minute set time, i'd be very cautious about sticking through a pump, cause when it starts to go it doesn't take long to go solid. The only tool I put it in is my nail spotter and even then I fill the spotter with my knife, not with the pump.
I guess if you gave yourself a cut off time of and hour then you'd be ok with it in boxes,pump but it's not something i'd be willing to try..pumps are a pain to clean at the best of times.

amestaper
14-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Do the sanding machines take to much off?

Just make sure to use a 220 grit paper.

TonyM
14-02-2010, 02:20 PM
I've always found that the Lafarge Fast Set and latterly Joint Filler has lumps of gum in it that need picking out before the next coat goes on. On using their joint cement, I don't think it blends in as nicely as BG. I've always stuck to BG joint filler, easifill and joint cement, although the cement can be a twat to rub down if you leave it too long. BG Quick Sand is good but not many merchants keep it or indeed can get it. I never use fast set to second coat with as if you rub through the cement coat to it, because joint filler is a coarser material, you get a 'hard edge' which shows after painting.

coastaldrywall
15-02-2010, 01:44 PM
i tend to use wondetex when i can get hold of it, well priced and sands like a dream, also the 45min stuff from sheetrock sands really well but wouldnt put it through a pump

turrican_007
15-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Just make sure to use a 220 grit paper.

220 grit or did you mean 120 grit?

amestaper
15-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Would use 220 discs on the electric sander with gtec, USG bluetop and Arrowlite type mixes but 120 with BG cos its a harder compound. This is just my own preference mind you.

pompey jake
15-02-2010, 06:20 PM
yeahnot bad the backet gear is ok but avoild the blue bag gear its takes 4 ever to knock up just been useing it on last job for 6 mouths was useing backet gear on job for 3 years before that

the_legend
15-02-2010, 06:24 PM
220 grade you must be there all day,ithought that was for my girls nails,no wonder the painters moan moan moan at me :mad:<--painter,100 or nothing for me.:boxing::nutkick:ive just found more smileys f :censored:ing site just gets better and better,any more surprises for me???

projoint
15-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Think your just gonna have to try it for yourself, cause I hate the readymixed stuff but love the gtec bagged finish. Totally opposite from above poster.

dryliner8
15-02-2010, 08:27 PM
we are using the gtec trade cement on our job mainly due to it being a lot cheaper than bg

fatboy69
16-02-2010, 03:55 PM
The rep told me that the joint filler is workable for 120mins (did not mention fast set) and to run it through a 7" box because of the time it gives you. Take the mesh out of the pump & run a brush stright through it for quick cleaning, Has anybody done this?

Haven't done it with that filler, but was working in Holland recently using a filler with a 75 min working time through the pump. It is a 2 man, 2 pump operation. So while 1 is being cleaned you can carry on boxing. Make sure there is a hose handy and your pump comes fully apart. Wouldn't really trust a quick clean.

amestaper
16-02-2010, 04:03 PM
220 grade you must be there all day,ithought that was for my girls nails,no wonder the painters moan moan moan at me :mad:<--painter,100 or nothing for me.:boxing::nutkick:ive just found more smileys f :censored:ing site just gets better and better,any more surprises for me???

100 grade on the softer compounds would just tear it to pieces. I used 220 last week with USG bluetop and buzzed around the job in no time cos it was attached to an electric sander whizzing at full speed. If you use 100 grit all the time, you must be a British Gypsum type of guy?

the_legend
16-02-2010, 06:02 PM
100 grade on the softer compounds would just tear it to pieces. I used 220 last week with USG bluetop and buzzed around the job in no time cos it was attached to an electric sander whizzing at full speed. If you use 100 grit all the time, you must be a British Gypsum type of guy?

yup british gypsum for me,just think its a more consistant standard to work with,ihave used lafarge but i think the lafarge fast set is to lumpy and takes ages to mix,and the lafarge finish dragged when you run your blade after boxing a few rooms,but having said that british gypsum can go as hard as a lady of the nights heart if you leave it for more than a week before sanding.maybe i should try some differant materials mind you i am probebly to stuck in my own ways.:a1259ffc:

TonyM
17-02-2010, 06:55 PM
I used the BG Promix Lite for a while, but it was no good for beadwork as it has no guts. Went through the boxes nicely though. I also tried Lafarge Fineform, and that dried like flint. You can't win with the readymixed gear!

Davie@ATT
17-03-2010, 05:23 PM
bg pesonally