PDA

View Full Version : Any news of sites kicking off in Central Scotland

matt
21-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Any news of sites kicking off in Central Scotland anyone, its so quiet right now its unreal.
With the weather as it is, its probably making things even slower.
Phoned a contract manager i know usually has work and he's been bumped.
Another contact off the already dwindling list.

amestaper
26-02-2010, 08:15 PM
Everybodys keeping pretty quiet about what little work they have in case someone comes in and takes it from them. There are sites where I live, but only the outsides are finished so the scaffolding can be removed from the job and the interiors are all empty shells. Where you from?

matt
26-02-2010, 08:39 PM
The Ski resort AKA Cumbernauld

amestaper
26-02-2010, 08:45 PM
I think theres a couple of forum users from the Kilsyth and Cumbernauld area. I worked in Kirkie just before Christmas, has it all dried up there?

matt
26-02-2010, 08:59 PM
We don't work direct , just subs and I usually find subbies doing work in C/nauld are based in dunfermline vice-versa. Hard to try and get guys numbers and names when they got their own guys from out of town.

amestaper
26-02-2010, 09:09 PM
I always find it strange that a lot of contractors wont use local labour and get guys from out of town to do the work. When I was younger I questioned why we werent encouraged to work in our local town and was surprised with the answer from a contracts manager "So ye cannae nick any materials laddie". What a prick he was.

The M8 is stacked with squads of builders travelling between Edinburgh - Glasgow and I very rarely venture west of Livingston to work these days.

matt
26-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Funny you should say that, we were working in edinburgh for months and passed a taping firm **tapers from out that way and we would see them every day at the same time at the same part of the m9 on the road home. If only there was a job xchange you could save a fortune on fuel and save the world.