PDA

View Full Version : Fibafuse fibreglass tape

FibaFuse
23-02-2010, 12:58 PM
You may want to try FibaFuse (www.fibafuse.com (http://www.fibafuse.com)). Its looks like paper except it is made of fiberglass. There's no adhesive on it so you can use in autotapers and best of all its very porous so it drys quickly. I found tapers who mainly use paper like FibaFuse becuase its easy to embed and drys fast.

the_legend
23-02-2010, 05:49 PM
didnt they try something like this before,not trying to shoot it down but whats that wrong with paper tape that you need to merge fiba and paper together.fiba for flat, paper for internals,:glare:how much more expensive than normal tape is it??

thomas.savage
23-02-2010, 06:00 PM
tried fiba tape in the internals.... bad times! nothing wrong with using it on flat joints though. never had issues with cracking. maybe the odd door head and when the house has been super heated with a gas bin heater and no windows left open... i would like the idea of a reinforced compound for use in the internals that would negate paper tape and allow you to just a apply a coat and flush out with a can am corner flusher and finish with a corner finisher.... must be possible what do you all think? i was thinking an elastic filler with fiber shreds though it...

TonyM
23-02-2010, 06:44 PM
. must be possible what do you all think? i was thinking an elastic filler with fiber shreds though it...

Already been done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9GQoMl9Od4&feature=related (http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9GQoMl9Od4&feature=related)

FibaFuse
23-02-2010, 07:36 PM
didnt they try something like this before,not trying to shoot it down but whats that wrong with paper tape that you need to merge fiba and paper together.fiba for flat, paper for internals,:glare:how much more expensive than normal tape is it??

yes a fleece tape is extensively used in eastern Europe but FibaFuse differentiates itself because it has a permanent center fold line so it can be used in inside corners. the reason you merge the features of fiba and paper is...

- open fiber design - fuses with compound to create 70% stronger joints compared to paper tape
- mold resistant because its made of glass like fibatape
- smooth finish to joint compound - eliminates blisters and bubbles common with paper tape
- compound dries faster than paper

the professional tapers like it because its easy to embed compare to paper and fibafuse sits tight against the wall so feathering is easier.

Captain perfect
23-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Hi fiba fuse

It certainly sounds a great product I can see a few benefits.

Is it priced to compete with fiba or paper tape

FibaFuse
23-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Hi fiba fuse

It certainly sounds a great product I can see a few benefits.

Is it priced to compete with fiba or paper tape

its priced between paper and fiba; in US it retails at $4.00-5.00 USD per 250-foot roll. what does paper and fiba retail for in the UK?

TonyM
23-02-2010, 09:06 PM
its priced between paper and fiba; in US it retails at $4.00-5.00 USD per 250-foot roll. what does paper and fiba retail for in the UK?

I pay about £2.20 + 17.5% vat for paper (150 metres) and about £2.00 + vat for scrim (90 metres)

belmoreboy
25-02-2010, 09:07 AM
I guess the success will be down to pricing ! Has anyone really suffered from paper tape and mould? Not noticed this a problem myself for a long while.

BTW amestaper the guy on the video in Myron Ferguson - He writes books and has a couple of dvd's out on Drywall in the states - The dvd is quote fun to watch - got a couple of copies somewhere if anyones interested!

amestaper
25-02-2010, 11:47 AM
BTW amestaper the guy on the video in Myron Ferguson - He writes
books and has a couple of dvd's out on Drywall in the states - The dvd is quote fun to watch -
got a couple of copies somewhere if anyones interested!

This is in regards to the question I asked on the Fibafuse introductory thread? I've read some of his articles elsewhere when I was doing some research about the taping tools for my own website. He's very clued up as his family has a long history in the drywall trade and he moderates a forum over at walls n ceilings. Send me a dee vee dee if you have some spare. Thanks. :fing02:

I wouldnt mind a trial run of the fibafuse tape but nobody I know stocks any. Seems a bit pricey but anything that drys fast is a bonus in this neck of the woods. Are you planning on importing any?

FibaFuse
25-02-2010, 12:58 PM
This is in regards to the question I asked on the Fibafuse introductory thread? I've read some of his articles elsewhere when I was doing some research about the taping tools for my own website. He's very clued up as his family has a long history in the drywall trade and he moderates a forum over at walls n ceilings. Send me a dee vee dee if you have some spare. Thanks. :fing02:

I wouldnt mind a trial run of the fibafuse tape but nobody I know stocks any. Seems a bit pricey but anything that drys fast is a bonus in this neck of the woods. Are you planning on importing any?

mould resistance is an inherent benefit of fibafuse since its made from fibreglass. the real benefits are embeds easier, sits tight against drywall, and like amestaper said, drys faster. that's why guys in the states like it. its stronger in resistance to cracking compared to paper too but i don't think cracking is too much of a problem for you. Or is it???

amestaper
25-02-2010, 01:11 PM
but i don't think cracking is too much of a problem for you. Or is it???

Only time I have ever had trouble with mould or cracking is if the drywall has gotten damp for whatever reason or the heating was turned up to Austalian outback type temperatures, then its not the tapers fault if the whole timber frame warps with the sudden upwards change in heat. Im happy to use whatever type of tape there is available to help me do the job effectively in the shortest timescale possible. Drying times are unfortunately a big problem in the Scottish winter so I find I need to use a fibre tape quite often.

I honestly like the sound of product. Its just a bugger I can look but not touch though. Do you have any plans for a European release?

FibaFuse
25-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Only time I have ever had trouble with mould or cracking is if the drywall has gotten damp for whatever reason or the heating was turned up to Austalian outback type temperatures, then its not the tapers fault if the whole timber frame warps with the sudden upwards change in heat. Im happy to use whatever type of tape there is available to help me do the job effectively in the shortest timescale possible. Drying times are unfortunately a big problem in the Scottish winter so I find I need to use a fibre tape quite often.

I honestly like the sound of product. Its just a bugger I can look but not touch though. Do you have any plans for a European release?

Belmore has shown interest in stocking product (belmore please correct me if I am wrong). We have a UK based sales person who will be discussing with them in more details.

in the meantime, i will send you a roll of FibaFuse. give me your address and phone number in a private post.

amestaper
25-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Cheers. Will send them to you in a moment. :fing02:

belmoreboy
25-02-2010, 01:23 PM
You are correct Mr Fibafuse - Will have some pricing details for everyone shortly.

amestaper
01-03-2010, 05:30 PM
The Fibafuse arrived by courier earlier this morning and this tape is far lighter than I expected.
Ive been showing a few friends today and should get around to watching the promo disk tonight, will let you know how I get on with it. :fing02:

FibaFuse
01-03-2010, 05:40 PM
The Fibafuse arrived by courier earlier this morning and this tape is far lighter than I expected.
Ive been showing a few friends today and should get around to watching the promo disk tonight, will let you know how I get on with it. :fing02:

That arrived fast. Looking forward to your opinion... good, bad, ugly or indifferent. Let me have it!!!

amestaper
01-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Yup. Very fast, the guy from UPS was out of breath. I wont be trying the tape this week but I can tell you that the tshirt fits fine just now. :D

FibaFuse
04-03-2010, 12:14 AM
Yup. Very fast, the guy from UPS was out of breath. I wont be trying the tape this week but I can tell you that the tshirt fits fine just now. :D

Glad to hear the tshirt fits okay. the UPS is a very fast swimmer so the big pond between north america and UK is nothing for him.:D

amestaper
10-03-2010, 01:45 PM
I tried about half a roll with air drying compound and I have mixed thoughts. It was great on the flat areas but not so good on the internal corners. It taped through the bazooka and rolled out OK but I found the corner angle head dragged the fibafuse, so I thinned the compound up some more. Maybe I would have been better using a different style head that glazes instead of pulling? If I had one I mean

Can I make a suggestion? Have you considered reinforcing the creaser wheel area with denser fibreglass or paper?

I also dont see any problems using this if youre a machine or hand taper apart from the odd tear in the corners by pushing too hard with a tool or blade. Drying times were much the same as usual because I had heaters in the room.

Do you have a sticky back alternative like traditional mesh tape for hand taping and patching etc?

I will try the other half of the roll alongside a new setting compound I have to sample tomorrow. Papercuts could be a thing of the past with this stuff but I did get a few fibres in my eyes. LOL

FibaFuse
16-03-2010, 02:04 PM
I tried about half a roll with air drying compound and I have mixed thoughts. It was great on the flat areas but not so good on the internal corners. It taped through the bazooka and rolled out OK but I found the corner angle head dragged the fibafuse, so I thinned the compound up some more. Maybe I would have been better using a different style head that glazes instead of pulling? If I had one I mean

Can I make a suggestion? Have you considered reinforcing the creaser wheel area with denser fibreglass or paper?

I also dont see any problems using this if youre a machine or hand taper apart from the odd tear in the corners by pushing too hard with a tool or blade. Drying times were much the same as usual because I had heaters in the room.

Do you have a sticky back alternative like traditional mesh tape for hand taping and patching etc?

I will try the other half of the roll alongside a new setting compound I have to sample tomorrow. Papercuts could be a thing of the past with this stuff but I did get a few fibres in my eyes. LOL

You bring up excellent points about FibaFuse being tough especially when used in inside corners. The reality is its glass and glass is fragile. Myron Ferguson, during the shooting of the how-to video, ran into the same issues initially. He was able to get around them by doing a couple of things...

1.Compound should be thinned slightly more than for paper tape
2.Utilize corner tools (glazer) when working in corners but apply a lot less pressure

** By doing these things you can use less pressure when embedding tape and cleaning excess mud. Thinner mud will ooze through FibaFuse easier so you donít need to squeeze it out like you would paper tape. It comes down to a change in technique... don't apply as much pressure with tools against tape. It works, give it a shot. Your shoulders and arms will thank you for it!!!

I do like your suggestion reinforcing the creaser wheel area; but the ideas i have cost too much. Would tapers pay for upgrade? When I first developed the tape, most tapers said itís a good product but if it costs more than paper then they wouldn't buy!!! So for the first generation we focused on price sensitivity. I'm working on some prototypes that are cost sensitive that makes fibafuse tougher. will keep you posted.

Looking forward to results from new setting compound.