PDA

View Full Version : Recycling Sanding Dust

turrican_007
01-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Hi, Do any of you recycle the dust collected in your vacuums? I know its a bit pickey but it does work, we mix it with new gear and use it for putting on internals, only if we are supplying that is. You can claw back loads of materal this way and thats gotta be good for the pocket ooooops i mean environment. This is one way to get 150% use from your joint cement, who else does it?

amestaper
01-04-2010, 10:43 AM
This has crossed my mind when I've been tossing around a bags worth of dust in a skip.
Never did it because theres all kinds of crap sticking to the plasterboard surface that also gets sucked up by the sander. Like muddy footprints on the walls and ceiling (i hate that) etc, left by considerate guys that hung the sheeting.

crack filler
01-04-2010, 02:17 PM
always assumed it would flake off and lose strength and it would crumble not saying it does not work just assumed

turrican_007
01-04-2010, 02:48 PM
always assumed it would flake off and lose strength and it would crumble not saying it does not work just assumed

Never known it to do that, as long as you mix it with virgin gear on a sensible ratio it would not be a cause for concern.Just make sure it clean dust.

amestaper
01-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Virgin gear? LOL This is the most environmentally friendly comment we've had in a while.

This gears maybe OK through the gun but I defintely wouldnt box with it. Thanks for the money making tip, every little helps when every pennys a prisoner. :fing02:

PS. Is the taping gear manufactured in Colombia that it costs nearly 20 a bag these days?

Deck
01-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Are you guys serious? Surely once the material has set you cannot reuse it even as dust added to new stuff? this must effect the finished job and indeed the integrity of the finish? Any Chemists out there who can give an opinion?

the_legend
02-04-2010, 07:33 PM
yep i do i throw it a folk like a massive smoke bomb,then hide like a ninja,, its realy quite funny until the poor person takes an asthma attack then i feel stupid!!!so please dont try that,,unless you can record it and show us:sneaky::sneaky:lol

saleen836
02-04-2010, 08:14 PM
What ratio are you mixing the dust to new powder? You say you have not seen it peeling off but have you gone back to check work that you did say 6 months ago using a mix of sanding dust and new powder?

crack filler
02-04-2010, 09:01 PM
yep i do i throw it a folk like a massive smoke bomb,then hide like a ninja,, its realy quite funny until the poor person takes an asthma attack then i feel stupid!!!so please dont try that,,unless you can record it and show us:sneaky::sneaky:lol

just for science purposes what do you wrap it in to throw it in :fing02:

mik mpd
03-04-2010, 09:47 AM
I'd of thought using the old dust would just make your gear go off (set) a hell of a lot quicker

turrican_007
01-04-2011, 06:21 AM
Its been exactly a year since this post is anyone recycling sanding dust yet? :whistling:

amestaper
01-04-2011, 07:33 AM
I'm still guilty of not recycling.
Sometimes threads get buried under new entries so its better to start a new one. The forum should still link them under similar threads

jase hag
01-04-2011, 09:00 AM
not a good idea.

TonyM
01-04-2011, 10:24 AM
And the date today is...........?

amestaper
01-04-2011, 10:29 AM
And the date today is...........?

Youre the only member who spotted it Tony. :shhh: Turrican might have got another year from that without anyone noticing....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvyDWGF290M

crack filler
02-04-2011, 06:38 AM
Nice one Turrican I fell for it, never did it but fell for it

Gooseone
27-10-2011, 04:36 PM
I once was on this job with a few coworkers when one of them came up to me and said the mud was weird ......( setting type , wondertex , by hand )
I asked him which bag he got it out of , he pointed to the bag and i could not detect anything wrong.
Then i went mixing a bunch a bit later on , noticed it was mixing a bit weird .....also noticed my other coworker who was sanding running around laughing a lot....
One strike with the trowel and i knew there was something wrong ...yet could not figure out what it was.
Untill my laughing coworker came clean , he had filled a used bag with sanding dust :)

Lukcilly it was a "house of the future" which was only build temporary ...and i had not filled a lot of joints with it ;)

( Terrible job btw , the inner drywall indeed followed the outer walls as you see it here , luckily not all walls were drywalled )

( ow and sorry for the zombie resurrection )

amestaper
27-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Where was this job? and welcome to the site. :)

Gooseone
27-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Amsterdam , and thanks for the welcome.
I'll introduce myself later on , if i would do it now it would just be one big rant about how craftmanship is not appreciated anymore , prices being way too low etc etc.
It is comforting to know these issues are not exclusive for the Netherlands :D
(including the reusing of sanding dust , hehe )