PDA

View Full Version : Apla-Tech Continuous Flow System

admin
16-01-2009, 07:54 AM
These tools are becoming ever more popular on larger contracts.

Whats your opinion and do you recommend them?

TonyM
16-01-2009, 09:19 AM
It's a good system. The slimline boxes are better than the coaters, and the internal corner finishing is quick as....
If you are doing mainly commercial or large residential jobs, then it will pay for itself in no time at all. It is really a 2-3 man operation to use it to it's full potential, as the person on the tools, can cover a lot of area, leaving the others to touch up and blend in. With the CFS, you have the option to spray the drywall compound in order to achieve a level 5 finish.
I have the pneumatic system with the Canon which I use for my internals. I have the coaters but my normal boxes leave a better finish so I use them. Apla-tech have developed a slimline box for the Canon which I am hoping to see soon and will purchase when work picks up.

amestaper
16-01-2009, 12:15 PM
These kits still arent very popular up here in Scotland and I've only met one taper who uses it. He reckons they're excellent for warehouses and big jobs like open plan offices with suspended ceilings, but a real pain in the backside as they can slow you down on smaller jobs like new build housing. He was always tripping over the hoses was one of his comments.

Just looked at them on the wetndrywall site and they said to call for prices for a complete set.... whats the going rate Tony?

If you dont mind me asking?

admin
16-01-2009, 02:22 PM
...appearing like a complete dunce, whats the difference between the Continous Flow System and the Pneumatic Apla-Tech systems? I did notice some pricetags were pretty vague too at wetndrywall, especially relating to complete toolsets. Does this mean that they are willing to haggle a price?

I find it very interesting how these work compared to a regular style kit and price comparisons between the two are welcome.

the_tapeinator
16-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Have I to learn to use another set of tools all over again? A tip for the younger guys, take a look and try to keep up with any latest tools and gadgets that will make your life easier and generate more income. I remember old school plasterers used to tell us that tapers had nicked all there work. It wasnt like that, they wer too lazy to learn the new tools, tricks and methods. they were really annoyed but it was there own fault for thinking there would always be jobs available for them. The world passed these guys by while they sat around and felt sorry for theirselves. We all know most tapers are actually very talented plasterers or painters who could turn there hand to anything. An Interesting thread. thanks

TonyM
16-01-2009, 06:11 PM
I bought the Apla-tech pneumatic kit 3 yrs ago and spent about 3k with Wetndrywall. It was impressive stuff compared to basic hand jointing, especially on the internals. Once you are using it, and getting used to the various settings for mud flow, air pressure and the amount of 'crown' to put on a joint, you will see its faults (maybe faults is too harsh a word) and advantages. One of the guys working for me then bought the Northstar boxes and the finish from the box was better than that of the flat coaters. With the flat coaters, if the boarding isn't consistent, you will find yourself forever adjusting the coater blade to get the joint 'right.' it seemed easier with the box to get a spot on finish in one or two swipes. As mentioned earlier, apla-tech have now adapted the slimline cfs boxes to fit the Canon, which will leave the same finish as a normal flat box. The pneumatic system , pumps air to the Canon (to which the finishing heads etc are attached), and the Canon in turn is filled from the pump. The standard 3' Canon holds appx twice as much mud as a standard 10" box. I bought the Apla pump but didn't really need it, because I realised I could fill the Canon from a normal drywall pump, so bought a Cinta pump from Fantastic Tools in america, which is taller and pumps faster than a standard pump. I don't have the automatic taper as I only use paper tape on my internals, and mesh for the rest, so it would have been a lot of extra money for it to sit in my garage most of the time. It is a great bit of kit though, and should I get a large paper taping job, I will not hesitate to get one.

The CFS is a slightly different animal, in that the mud is pumped directly to your tools from a large airless spray plant. The airless alone will set you back 3-4K new. It is ,as you remark amestaper, really for big jobs. I have used it on 3 bed houses, and you do get cheesed off with the pipes (and being airless pipes they are quite stiff to withstand the high pressures) getting snagged and curling up. Plus, you will do your joints that quickly, you will be running out of work. When I was using the CFS system, I bought a large 90 litre hopper with a lid to feed the airless we had, which stopped crap from getting in the mix, and meant less mucking about filling buckets etc. At a guess, ths complete CFS set up could cost you upwards of 6-7K, but obviously the boys at Wetndrywall will tell you more precisely.

One unfortunate thing now is that all the Apla-Tech kit has gone up in price horrendously because of the strength of the dollar over the pound. Andy and Will at Wetndrywall are really helpful and know their stuff, and their after support is great. Have a look on their website and watch the videos of the Apla-Tech stuff, ans see what you think.

admin
17-01-2009, 07:30 AM
Thanks Tony,

You can see the Apla-Tech tools here at wetndrywall.com (http://www.wetndrywall.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=12&zenid=9b8690f6205e52027d03899baaa61704).

amestaper
17-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Good post Tony,

Now I see why the prices are all quoted as "call". The pound dollar exchange rate is poor compared to six months ago. :(

TonyM
17-01-2009, 12:17 PM
As a comparison, the Tape aplicator(without air end) is about 200 more than last August. Spoke to Will at Wetndrywall about then and he said get one quick, but didn't say why. Wish I had now.

The Taping Store
21-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Hi guys

You have a valid point about the Aplatech system, they can be bulky and you do have to drag around hoses etc which makes them cumbersome to use. You also need to think about the health and saftey nazis on site with hoses and power cables on site.

But still a good system but not very popular. I guess the full portability of existing taping tools (bazooka and boxes) means that with 2 pumps you can split the work between 2 guys with one taping and one boxing.