PDA

View Full Version : Could we influence the cost of taping materials?

amestaper
02-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Over the last week I did a small labour only job where the client paid for materials. I nipped around to their local marchants and they paid these prices below per item;

17.50 for BG corner tape
12.50 for BG easifill 45
18.50 for Lafarge GTEC smartmix
4.95 for paper tape
6.50 for scrim tape

This is all fine when someone else pays for it, but if I had to pay these costs and remain competitive while pricing work using materials at these prices I would surely have to be a magician wouldnt I, scraping every last drop of stuff that hit the floor and not wasting anything?

Are the manufacturers, distributors being greedy gits or is it down to the cost of more expensive imported materials due to the drop in value of our currency? Surely we, as the consumer have the power to make them drop the prices?

My question is, are the current prices inline with market value or too expensive?

Captain perfect
02-05-2010, 10:54 AM
The price of materials has rocketed over the last 5 years which is only to be expected,

The problem seems to be that contractors are paying less per Msq in real terms considering
inflation.

We have recently been asked to give a price on 2 projects where the drylining contractor has
gone into adminastration mid contract, when we were told their original prices the fixers
& finnishers would be hard pushed to make 90 a day.

I see the fault with the main developers & contractors taking the lowest price to keep their bottom line the same. to please the share holders

turrican_007
03-05-2010, 07:22 AM
The whole cost of living is getting out of control, before you even to get to site you've spent 10-20 just in fuel, and if you are only making 90 a day after putting money by for tax etc whats the point :confused:

belmoreboy
05-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Could we influence the cost of taping materials?

Not with the big three (BG,Lafarge,Knauf) but maybe with some of the newer manufacturers like USG, wondertex.
just out of curiosity how many of you guys use or would use ready mix (as long as its not as hard as BG to sand down!)

And would you guys be interested in ready mixed in cardboard boxes, same as the states?

amestaper
06-05-2010, 06:28 AM
And would you guys be interested in ready mixed in cardboard boxes, same as the states?

Why not? The plastic tub probably adds over a pound to the price.

turrican_007
06-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Could we influence the cost of taping tools? :whistling:

the_legend
06-05-2010, 06:19 PM
the most i got quoted for bg joint cement 28 plus vat.
easyfill 45 22 plus vat.
makes you boak!!!
so i suppose the answer is yep,way to expensive..

the_legend
06-05-2010, 06:26 PM

no f****in chance,,unless you speak really,really,really nice with jam on it to marcuss:w00t:

have you seen the tools a well known company hires out (cough aetex),,they charge the same for speedtape tools as speedtapepro tools ,the pro tools nearly half the price of tapetech (greedy):nono:

Brian S
06-05-2010, 09:48 PM

Not with the big three (BG,Lafarge,Knauf) but maybe with some of the newer manufacturers like USG, wondertex.
just out of curiosity how many of you guys use or would use ready mix (as long as its not as hard as BG to sand down!)

Sounds good to me Marcus :fing02: cheaper than the current ready mix!
What about scrim, paper and flex?

belmoreboy
07-05-2010, 01:31 PM

Yes for sure (i have a few little things up my sleeve for later in the year which will make this forum the place to be for an absolute bargainnn!! ) watch this space

rockie robinson
10-05-2010, 01:26 PM
recently been sent some free samples from wondertex to use/try out . one was ready mix cement
in a plastic bag/container inside a cardboard box , what a waste of time !!! couldn't thin down , couldn't clean the bag out with your knife it kept splitting the bag , had more cement on myself than i used :mad:

guy4tools
17-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Over the last week I did a small labour only job where the client paid for materials. I nipped around to their local marchants and they paid these prices below per item;

17.50 for BG corner tape
12.50 for BG easifill 45
18.50 for Lafarge GTEC smartmix
4.95 for paper tape
6.50 for scrim tape

This is all fine when someone else pays for it, but if I had to pay these costs and remain competitive while pricing work using materials at these prices I would surely have to be a magician wouldnt I, scraping every last drop of stuff that hit the floor and not wasting anything?

Are the manufacturers, distributors being greedy gits or is it down to the cost of more expensive imported materials due to the drop in value of our currency? Surely we, as the consumer have the power to make them drop the prices?

My question is, are the current prices inline with market value or too expensive?

hi in my experenice for what its worth buying in quantity has a large bearing on price dont know how possible that is in these hard times though!!!

amestaper
18-05-2010, 05:55 PM
I havent bought by the pallet for over 2 years now. :mad:

Brian S
18-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Lafarge Trade Joint filler 5.40
Lafarge Trade Joint Cement 13.00
Minster own Brand Flex 7.15
Minster own Brand paper 2.60
Minster own Brand Scrim 1.60
Easifill 10.50

I do like Lafarge Trade Joint filler it will actually sand quite easily, and if you do find a snot you missed, it doesn't rip halve the paper off the board (so far)