PDA

View Full Version : Advice about a Banjo please

Gregors-07
20-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Hi im looking at gettin a banjo to help put my internals up http://www.all-wall.com/Categories/Banjos/Marshalltown-Tapeshooter-Banjo.

I cant afford a bazooka so was looking at gettin one of these. Does any one know how they work and how good they are. I been putting mine up with a tar brush on a pole and as you can guess it takes some time and is quite messy.

Thanks for helping me out.

amestaper
20-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Add $93.45 for delivery to the UK and this piece of kit will cost you $228.45.
Ive seen second hand tools on ebay go for less than this.

Gregors-07
20-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Add $93.45 for delivery to the UK and this piece of kit will cost you $228.45.
Ive seen second hand tools on ebay go for less than this.

Want gonna buy from here just wanna know if there any good and how do they work?

Thanks

Brian S
20-05-2010, 05:15 PM
What about some Better Than Ever stuff, would probably be cheaper, and you could 2nd coat with it which you couldn't with a banjo

Gregors-07
20-05-2010, 05:25 PM
What about some Better Than Ever stuff, would probably be cheaper, and you could 2nd coat with it which you couldn't with a banjo

I got an internal box for second coat so thats no problem. Although which one would you say was better?. Are they easy to use? Will enough muck be put on behind cos thats a pet hate for the people im working for at the minute is blown tapes?

Thanks

amestaper
20-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Want gonna buy from here just wanna know if there any good and how do they work?

Thanks

Picked you up wrong then, sorry about that. Havent used one but the blade on the front looks dangeous and Im sure theres a thread somewhere else in the tools and materials section that shows this very banjo in action in a video file. It's messy and slow as

PS. I found the thread over here http://www.tapingandjointing.com/forum/showthread.php?378-Worst-taping-tool-ever

Its not the same tool but theres a link and a few comments that may be useful to you.

Brian S
20-05-2010, 06:49 PM
If you have an internal box, why not just get an internal applicator to fit the box

Mud head 90 degree about halfway down http://www.thetapingstore.com/

dryfix
20-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Forget then"banjo",they are prehistoric and very messy,go with Brians post,or keep an eye on ebay for a auto taper.

cornerbox
22-05-2010, 09:14 AM
I use the Banjo for small Jobs and the taper for big jobs,make sure the Banjo is loaded properly and your mix is right and it works just fine.

belmoreboy
31-05-2010, 08:35 PM
sold a stck of banjos in the past as cornerbox mentioned, great for small jobs and firetaping etc, we stock the marshalltown one but goldblatt make a decent one - make sure the mud compartment is fully covered as they are designed in the states where they board sideways so gear dropping out isnt an issue

DMS
02-06-2010, 08:41 AM
i would tend to agree with the rest of the forum, the banjo works but is messy, most people are using it for fire taping only. a good answer if you do not want to go for the auto taper is, a lambswool roller used in conjuction with a Northstar corner roller (to bed the tapes) and a northstar angle head to flush them. alternatively you can use a rowl plow which beds the tapes and flushes at the same time, not quite as effective and robust but much less expensive. pm me for pricing on the above

DMS
02-06-2010, 08:47 AM
if you ad a teaspoon of pva to your mud when you are finishing internals it should help the tapes bind to the plasterboard and avoid blow outs, also using a corner roller beds the tapes and transfers the compound from the back to the front ready for flushing, which should also eliminate the problem. obviously the taper puts just the right amount on the wall but you should be able to figure it out with the lambswool roller easily, if there isn't enough left over to flush it without adding more you are not putting enough on, and if there is a pile of compound at the bottom of the corner you are putting too much on.

crack filler
02-06-2010, 04:11 PM
seriously if you dont do anything else get rid of the tar brush and stick a corner roller on a pole http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/f/FDDCORNERR/ much quicker than a brush

E.K Taper
02-06-2010, 05:58 PM
You beat me too it, Crack Filler.
Decorating Direct sell them for around 3.50 plus postage, but spend over 50 and the postage is free so buy 15!
worth it in the long run