PDA

View Full Version : Working away from home

E.K Taper
09-06-2010, 12:38 AM
How much extra do you put on a job if it involves working away from home?
I have a job to do in north of Scotland which the contractor says I should be able to do in a weekend. he is supplying the material and paying the accomodation so it is basically a labour only job. I have to drive up there on Friday to price it then stay and do the job over the weekend.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

amestaper
09-06-2010, 09:36 PM
Travel, food and drink expenses but once you add all this on it will be difficult to compete with local labour costs.

E.K Taper
09-06-2010, 11:56 PM
Travel, food and drink expenses but once you add all this on it will be difficult to compete with local labour costs.
Cheers. yeah the drink costs will bump it up considerably!!! England v USA on Saturday night lol.
Local labour won't come into it though, as the company want me to do it as I am their regular taper but I don't want to be out of pocket nor do I want to rip them off cos I get good jobs off them.
Thanks for the advice, petrol food and drink it is. :beerchug:

turrican_007
10-06-2010, 06:23 AM
If there paying for your accommodation etc i would do it for your normal rates,We stay away for most of our work but i have only had accommodation payed for once!

happytaper
12-06-2010, 12:06 AM
petrol food and drink?sounds like the royal treatment.company i do regurlar work for got a job away from home and they get a local taper to do the work cause it costs them less.if i go i gotta pay my own way and with shit prices its not worth doing esp as tring to get paid off the bastards is impossible.sounds like a handy one even if you miss the match..

turrican_007
12-06-2010, 07:35 AM
What times the chauffeur picking you and your tools up :D

E.K Taper
12-06-2010, 01:11 PM
What times the chauffeur picking you and your tools up :D
Ha! Very good. They did toy with the idea of getting a local guy in but I phoned them when I had little work on to chase them up about another job so he asked if I was interested.
Turns out it wont be ready till next week anyway.
Best tell the chauffuer to hang fire for a bit.....

mik mpd
12-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Its vary rare we get local work we're usually all over the place, the companys we work for generally cover the costs of hotels and diesel. Works quite well at the moment, the companys we work for obviously know local labour would be cheaper but its easier for most of them to keep regular blokes on as we know the jobs and are reliable, takes the hassle out of searching for local lads and getting messed around in most cases!

E.K Taper
13-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Its vary rare we get local work we're usually all over the place, the companys we work for generally cover the costs of hotels and diesel. Works quite well at the moment, the companys we work for obviously know local labour would be cheaper but its easier for most of them to keep regular blokes on as we know the jobs and are reliable, takes the hassle out of searching for local lads and getting messed around in most cases!
Yes the firms I work for are the same. We know how each other works so no one gets in the way. Getting other guys in would f:censored:k the whole thing up, plus if they are happy with your work why ask someone else to come in?

mik mpd
13-06-2010, 08:12 PM
we generally find that the reliability and them pretty much having you on call all helps with the price negotiation!!!!

E.K Taper
13-07-2010, 11:51 PM
Job was finally ready at the weekend for me after a few planning hold ups. Put in my usual rate, added fuel and food and the cost of a good night on the sauce and they were more than happy with my invoice!
Result.
Thanks for all your advice

Mark'the'Taper
24-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Best advice i ever got for when you are working away or nightshift.....price it like you dont want it.....more often than not you will get it at your price....and if you dont then it's no big deal.