PDA

View Full Version : Screws ?

drywall guy
13-06-2010, 08:19 AM
How many coats are you all giving screws ?. Does it all depend on how well they are fixed, if they are set just below the surface without bursting through the paper face of the board usually i give them 1 coat fastset and 1 coat joint cement all by hand as i feel nail spotters dont leave a good enough coat. Recently the screws have been getting set a bit deeper into the board ( the guys doing the boarding don't have the correct guns, using cordless drills WANKERS ) and after giving them the coat of fast-set and joint cement they seem to be shrinking back in to the hole. I don't want to be giving them another coat as the price is tight enough , plus i think more coats = more sanding.

Would using thicker fast-set and joint cement reduce the shrinking ?. At the moment i use the fast-set that is left over after sticking my flex and use the joint cement that i box with. All materials are BG

E.K Taper
13-06-2010, 11:39 AM
If they need a 3rd coat I normally do it, so I got no comebacks. It takes about 20 mins to spot an average 3 or 4 bedder by hand but I wouldnt fancy it AFTER the 1st coat primer/emulsion was on.
I normally get away with a fast set and a velvet (BG) like you, but I think that if the screws are set a bit deeper, then just give another coat of heavy velvet. I'm not sure a thick fast set and 1 thick velvet would be enough in that event
I always use the same velvet for screws that I coat beads with = heavy
I know the prices are tight enough but what's 20 mins at the end of your shift as opposed to an hour or so once the painter complains?

TonyM
13-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Three coats always. One Easifill by hand, and 2 cement with nail spotter.

amestaper
13-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Exactly the same as Tony 3 coats. I try not to use fast set as it makes the nailspotter go bump bump along the ceilings when the blade catches a filled screw hole whereas Easyfill doesnt need a sand between coats.

E.K Taper
14-06-2010, 08:35 AM
I try not to use fast set as it makes the nailspotter go bump bump along the ceilings when the blade catches a filled screw hole whereas Easyfill doesnt need a sand between coats.[/QUOTE]

Its always fast set we use on site, never easi-fill . Thats the reason I dont use the spotter - bump bump as you say,, so I just spot by hand. Never knew easyFill didnt need sanded between coats. I used to just give them 3 coats velvet with the spotter, but found it was a nightmare to sand :cussing:

Beermonster
14-06-2010, 02:01 PM
I give them 1 coat by hand of sheetrock readymix and 1 more with the nail spotter using the same sheetrock!! Never had a problem with 2 coats:)

turrican_007
14-06-2010, 04:09 PM
1 by hand and one as thick as i can get through the pump into the spotter, no problems.

DMC
14-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Fill them by hand, one coat fast set one coat joint cement,so far so good. :fing02:

guy4tools
16-06-2010, 09:26 PM
How many coats are you all giving screws ?. Does it all depend on how well they are fixed, if they are set just below the surface without bursting through the paper face of the board usually i give them 1 coat fastset and 1 coat joint cement all by hand as i feel nail spotters dont leave a good enough coat. Recently the screws have been getting set a bit deeper into the board ( the guys doing the boarding don't have the correct guns, using cordless drills WANKERS ) and after giving them the coat of fast-set and joint cement they seem to be shrinking back in to the hole. I don't want to be giving them another coat as the price is tight enough , plus i think more coats = more sanding.

Would using thicker fast-set and joint cement reduce the shrinking ?. At the moment i use the fast-set that is left over after sticking my flex and use the joint cement that i box with. All materials are BG
hi ya
sounds like now the screws are sunk deeper that the chaulk in the plasterboard is drying out the filler too quickly and its shrinking so maybe you could try sealing them before putting on the first coat

happytaper
17-06-2010, 06:54 PM
fast set then sheetrock by hand never had any probs. sometimes the odd few need an extra coat. have had problems with metal mushroom plugs even with repeated coats can still seem to shrink back a little-bit of a pain.

Lightrock
18-06-2010, 03:03 AM
Three coats. one taping compound, 2 coats all purpose or finish which ever i am using on that job. Used to use a nail-spotter but now that's is only for textured ceilings, which only get 2 coats. Doing it by hand just seems to ensure quality. If the screws are over sunk though, no number of coats will ever be enough.

crack filler
18-06-2010, 05:04 PM
alway 3 coats got pulled a couple times when i tried 2 as they say your only as good as your last house

Mark'the'Taper
24-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Yep! one joint filler and 2 easy sand joint cement(quite heavy), never had a problem.

jase hag
25-01-2011, 05:32 AM
2 coats,depending on depth of screws.

scottishlad2k10
03-02-2011, 11:33 PM
one skim of fast set and a skim of finish :D never fails! unless theyve made a proper c**t and they all pop :) that is the screws the buggers actually manage to put in! half of them leave screws hanging out everywhere even with "auto screw driver & depth set"