PDA

View Full Version : Knauf

E.K Taper
25-06-2010, 12:05 AM
As of 1st july 2010, Persimmon Homes have instructed contractors to use Knauf materials, ie. plasterboard, joint filler, cement and tapes. Has any of you guys used this stuff? I used it about 10 years ago and to be honest it was shite but they say it has 'improved'. What do you think? Is it better or worse than BG? Is the flex tape as good as BG? Does the cement still turn to piss if you leave it overnight?
I'd appreciate your feedback on this one fellas!
Cheers

DMS
25-06-2010, 10:43 AM
The knauff redi mix is a very food product, I haven't messed with the powder, but from all accounts it is passable. Knauff imports their corner bead from straight flex which is a very good product, it will hold the line true. probably better than BG bead. let me know how you get on.

crack filler
25-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Its crap when they do that I had it with wimpey a few years ago but nobody really enforced it.

DMC
25-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Its marginally less shite than it was,but i still wouldnt use it if i could help it.

christaper22
25-06-2010, 03:20 PM
As of 1st july 2010, Persimmon Homes have instructed contractors to use Knauf materials,
Cheers

Not heard that one, i hope not as i do most work on persimmon sites and knauf used to be awfull.

saleen836
25-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Had this on Barratts years ago but all the site agents knew Knauff materials were shite so just told me to skip my empty BG bags at end of every day ;)

TonyM
25-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Horrible, horrible, horrible stuff. The fast set is like bonding and the cement isn't even smooth. And Straitflex is shite too, the f**king stuff curls up at the edges, doesn't it Saleen?

Obviously the Knauf reps have been into Persimmons offices with a big brown envelope.

dryfix
25-06-2010, 09:04 PM
I've just finished 2 houses on a persimmon site,and they insisted on knauf materials.The filler is still crap,but there new light weight bucket joint cement is really good ,as it is usg joint cement,but they have put it in the knauf livery,and the tell tale blue lid.

E.K Taper
26-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Obviously the Knauf reps have been into Persimmons offices with a big brown envelope.That appears to be the case, Tony. Apparently Knauf have offered them some sort o deal if they use their stuff. My contractor not too happy as he has thousands of 's worth of BG to use up!
I have to do a 'trial house' with this shite soon which I'm not looking forward to
They are asking contractors for their concerns about using Knauf and I will pass these on so Persimmons phones will be bouncing off the walls on monday morning!
Thanks guys

christaper22
26-06-2010, 04:15 PM
I've just finished 2 houses on a persimmon site,and they insisted on knauf materials.The filler is still crap,but there new light weight bucket joint cement is really good ,as it is usg joint cement,but they have put it in the knauf livery,and the tell tale blue lid.

They must not be doing it in every region because its lafarge here.

turktown taper
26-06-2010, 09:31 PM
:censored:
knauf by name naff to use, cant beat BG gear !!!!!!!!!

saleen836
27-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Horrible, horrible, horrible stuff. The fast set is like bonding and the cement isn't even smooth. And Straitflex is shite too, the f**king stuff curls up at the edges, doesn't it Saleen?

Obviously the Knauf reps have been into Persimmons offices with a big brown envelope.

Indeed it does!

turrican_007
30-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Its still shite..

JON RAMBO
18-07-2010, 09:46 PM
have a shit in buckets that helps.

christaper22
20-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Well i ordered some materials the other day and forgot to specify which brand of filler i wanted just asked for 10 bags of fast set.

Turns out they delivered knaf filler. This stuff is worse than bad. Im sure it is bonding. It doesnt set and shrinks like fcuk. The thing i find most annoying is the speed at which the moisture gets sucked out of it. Literally you can coat up a flat joint take off the edge on one side go to take the other side off and its furring up. Utter crap.

turktown taper
09-09-2010, 09:07 PM
Well i ordered some materials the other day and forgot to specify which brand of filler i wanted just asked for 10 bags of fast set.

Turns out they delivered knaf filler. This stuff is worse than bad. Im sure it is bonding. It doesnt set and shrinks like fcuk. The thing i find most annoying is the speed at which the moisture gets sucked out of it. Literally you can coat up a flat joint take off the edge on one side go to take the other side off and its furring up. Utter crap.

i got sent 10 bags of the filler, real arse ! a couple of the bags got ripped
( dont know how ! :fing02:)
a couple in the skip !!
then replaced with bg !!
RESULT !!!

E.K Taper
09-09-2010, 09:34 PM
We are nearing the end of our BG stock so the Knauf stuff should be on site in the next few weeks :(
One of the guys done a trial house with it and actually liked it!
Nowt as queer as folk.......

E.K Taper
09-09-2010, 09:37 PM
one of our guys done a trial house with knauf and actually liked it.....
spoilsport..........

zwirowaci
12-09-2010, 09:54 PM
had this on Haymills. Ready mix is not so bad, but staff from bag is shit.

E.K Taper
28-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Been using this stuff for a few weeks now
Knauf review-
Joint filler is crap, I like to double coat my crossers with fast set but this crap keeps dragging
Promix cement I have been pleasantly surprised with- verey creamy and goes on smooth as.
Paper tape is same as BG stuff
Straitflex is horrible stuff to work with, burns your fingers when pressing on and hands get covered in mud. Does leave a good finish though and you'll get away with 2 coats generally
Dont know if they do fiba tape, still using usual stuff
Mixed review then, it has its pro's and certainly has its con's!

TJ Dizzy
29-10-2010, 04:45 PM
I'm not fully sure but thiink i may have used it last month the ready mixed ames in a white bucket with blue lid? anyways if it is the stuff it's smooth but its like see thru no matter how much u put on you can still see the tapes and joints and its to easy to sand

E.K Taper
29-10-2010, 10:42 PM
I'm not fully sure but thiink i may have used it last month the ready mixed ames in a white bucket with blue lid? anyways if it is the stuff it's smooth but its like see thru no matter how much u put on you can still see the tapes and joints and its to easy to sand

Yeah it sounds like the same stuff TJ. I forgot to mention in my list of pro's and con's that it is really easy to sand, better than BG by far. Our sanding boy is racing through the houses now, maybe need to cut his prices!!!!!!

kentish plasterer
02-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Knauf make a nice one coat mp75 use it with my pump love the stuff

jase hag
09-11-2010, 07:48 PM
the only good thing knauf make is coving.

TradeDecoratingSupplies
09-11-2010, 09:27 PM
got them in for talks next week, their attitudes want to of changed for the better an all!!!!!

TradeDecoratingSupplies
09-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Yeah it sounds like the same stuff TJ. I forgot to mention in my list of pro's and con's that it is really easy to sand, better than BG by far. Our sanding boy is racing through the houses now, maybe need to cut his prices!!!!!!

Toupret skim coat no good for ya? sands down a beaut

belmoreboy
10-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Toupret's nice gear but too pricey for site work with prices as they are at present

Dobietaper
11-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Knauf make a nice one coat mp75 use it with my pump love the stuff

is that stuff kinda like multi finish ?
Anyway been using knauff strait flex months ago for a wee while U can get nice sharp corner with that stuff

TonyM
11-02-2011, 08:42 PM
is that stuff kinda like multi finish ?
Anyway been using knauff strait flex months ago for a wee while U can get nice sharp corner with that stuff

I filled a dustbin up with that stuff. It's got a mind of its own.

E.K Taper
11-02-2011, 11:05 PM
Persimmon suits had a meeting today and are ditching Knauf and going back to British Gypsum!!!!! Praise the Lord!!!!!!!!! If you saw the scenes in Cairo tonight thats nothing compared with the jubilation on the Persimmon sites in Scotland !!!!!!!!
Ok, I've had a few but you get the picture, hic..........

E.K Taper
13-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Persimmon suits had a meeting today and are ditching Knauf and going back to British Gypsum!!!!! Praise the Lord!!!!!!!!! If you saw the scenes in Cairo tonight thats nothing compared with the jubilation on the Persimmon sites in Scotland !!!!!!!!
Ok, I've had a few but you get the picture, hic..........
Ok, P*rsimmons want us to go BACK to using Knauf!!!!!
The head honchos up in Scotland dont want it, but this is coming from their bosses down south. They say EVERYONE is using it on their english sites, theres no problems with it and they all love it, blah blah blah.
Any of you guys use it on P*rsimmon sites down south??????

saleen836
14-11-2012, 08:55 AM
The head honchos up in Scotland dont want it, but this is coming from their bosses down south. They say EVERYONE is using it on their english sites, theres no problems with it and they all love it, blah blah blah.

Have been on a Persimmon site down south for the past year and have always used BG Easi-fill and Quicksand, was supplying at the start with no mention of what material to use and for the past 9 months labour only with no mention either.

amestaper
14-11-2012, 12:19 PM

Have been on a Persimmon site down south for the past year and have always used BG Easi-fill and Quicksand, was supplying at the start with no mention of what material to use and for the past 9 months labour only with no mention either.

It seems the Scottish head honcho's, 'Down South' bosses and site agents have been caught out then?

big g
14-11-2012, 03:29 PM
oh dear,sounds as if big bucks are changing hands,does that mean using that strait flex shite as well as their compounds.

Dillon
14-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Yep Persimon insist on it down here in Devon too, rumour has it they get a 300 per house kick back from Knauf. The filler is just like their bonding with a couple handfulls of JC chucked in. The thing to do is open the bags carefully then refill them with your materials of choice, Down here the reps are checking to make sure you are using their gear.

Personally I can spread any thing, one of the benifits of doing a lot of labour only work, in fact today I have been using Knauf filler and BG on top, Im also probably the only guy in the world that likes Knauf's angle tape, not prfere just likes. The stuff that comes pre cut for arches is top dog too, saves all that snipping metal angle.

E.K Taper
14-11-2012, 10:17 PM
oh dear,sounds as if big bucks are changing hands,does that mean using that strait flex shite as well as their compounds.
If we use knauf then persimmons get a good deal off them for plasterboard. apparently they have a new metal tape as opposed to the plasticy burny finger stuff.

E.K Taper
14-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Yep Persimon insist on it down here in Devon too, rumour has it they get a 300 per house kick back from Knauf. The filler is just like their bonding with a couple handfulls of JC chucked in. The thing to do is open the bags carefully then refill them with your materials of choice, Down here the reps are checking to make sure you are using their gear.

Personally I can spread any thing, one of the benifits of doing a lot of labour only work, in fact today I have been using Knauf filler and BG on top, Im also probably the only guy in the world that likes Knauf's angle tape, not prfere just likes. The stuff that comes pre cut for arches is top dog too, saves all that snipping metal angle.
i dont like the pre cut angle tape for arches, it seems to spring open like a fkn advent calendar

Dillon
15-11-2012, 08:03 AM
i dont like the pre cut angle tape for arches, it seems to spring open like a fkn advent calendar

Your doing it wrong :D

look on the bright side it'll be like Xmas every day :)

big g
15-11-2012, 03:18 PM
let us know EK how you get on with new flex,trying to find a good 1 is like looking for the holy grail.

Dillon
15-11-2012, 04:16 PM
I personally like wondertex gear (all of it) but when it comes to angle tape as long as the boarding is straight then any will do.

big g
15-11-2012, 04:59 PM
using wondertex just now,papers seperating from metal regular,then some of the metals too close together that it wont fold,then the bits that look alright at the time,come in next morning and bits of it have blown,doin my nut in.

E.K Taper
15-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Using wondertex too, big g, and not getting any problems at all! You must have a bad batch:p

big g
15-11-2012, 08:28 PM
maybe,but just back on it after using sheetrock,this is first house on it,but was the reason we came of it in first place.
the sheetrock was great if sheeting was perfect,beautiful clean edges,but if sheeting was dodgy at all the metal is so thin it doesnt hold its shape.
think that was prob,although being shaped like a banana prob didnt help.

rossi46
19-11-2012, 07:41 PM
the multifinish powder i have tried recently was pretty good ideal for a 2 coat quick patch up is like cement only it sets quick can really build and it out and will stick to paintwork the rest is shite the platerboards go yellow and rest is like concrete to sand down would defo recomendend washing the edges in before hand