PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to get rid of artex!

Goodmanatee
05-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Just moved in to new home and all the ceilings are lighty artex.
What's the best way to make it flat.
Any tips would be gratefully received.

TonyM
05-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Overboard it, otherwise it's a messy job and potentially hazzardous depending how old the artex is.

amestaper
06-07-2010, 07:31 AM
Tonys right, artex applied over 20 years ago has asbestos in it and is best left alone. You could buy a texture stripper such as X-Tex, paint it on and remove it like wallpaper with a steam stripper or just plaster over it.

christaper22
06-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Agree with tonyM unless its really light then you can skim with plaster. Ive coved the whole house as well, saves messing around in the corners and imo looks much better.

DMC
06-07-2010, 03:57 PM
I would re sheet over it,better job,less mess and no worries about asbestos.

belmoreboy
06-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Over boarding is best option - if however you cant and dont want to lose space (coving in place etc) there are some great products on the market actually made by artex!

We sell stack of smooth it powder - its a cross between plaster and artex and less prone to cracking than just plain skim plaster.

If its a small area you of course used joint cement but it does shrink back and often takes two or three attempts to cover pattern properly.

Plenty of options as as always its down to time - cost and the job site its self.

im sure many of the forum members have there own methods - be good to hear what others use on a regular basis

Goodmanatee
06-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Cheers Lads thanks for info.
It's the whole house, on a tight budget. The artex is very light so I might go for the scrape and as many coats of joint cement( I don't have to pay for cement) as it takes.
What's the price on artex stuff Maris? And how much would I need for 16 m2 ceiling.

richie
06-07-2010, 08:34 PM
:)stay away from the smooth it mate cheapest way pva and skim but best overboard 9.5mm boards finish as you wish

SJG
06-07-2010, 09:11 PM
If the artex is heavy knock off the high spots with a floor scraper. Then apply a coat of bonding agent PVA or gyproc bondit and skim over. If it is a light texture just use the bonding agent ang then skim.

happytaper
06-07-2010, 10:03 PM
hard to say would prob be easier to pva and skim it. i did the same when i moved in to my place was in a rush and was trying to do the job as cheap as possible. recently i decided to put insulated boards on the outside walls and had to tear out the old coving i had skimmed into. the skim alongside shattered off in sheets on top of my head even though i had brush lots of pva on beforehand.prob would never have done so had i not gone near it but it did. nowadays (as i am time rich and cash poor) i wished i boarded it and taped it and was now looking at a brand new ceiling:(

richie
07-07-2010, 06:47 AM
artex is a dodgey one to skim .just hope it dont make a comeback :)

SJG
07-07-2010, 04:28 PM
hard to say would prob be easier to pva and skim it. i did the same when i moved in to my place was in a rush and was trying to do the job as cheap as possible. recently i decided to put insulated boards on the outside walls and had to tear out the old coving i had skimmed into. the skim alongside shattered off in sheets on top of my head even though i had brush lots of pva on beforehand.prob would never have done so had i not gone near it but it did. nowadays (as i am time rich and cash poor) i wished i boarded it and taped it and was now looking at a brand new ceiling:(

Had the PVA set prior to skimming?
Plaster does not stick well to hardened PVA. Apply the skim to the PVA when it is the tacky to the touch stage of setting.

Use dilute PVA to seal porous surfaces and then use neat or V.strong PVA solution for the bonding agent onto a sealed or non porous surface. Apply plaster when PVA is still tacky.
or
Use gyproc bondit (sets like liquid sandpaper) to seal several areas at the same time allow it set and then plaster.

E.K Taper
08-07-2010, 10:39 PM
I have skimmed over artex using BG joint cement. usually takes 3 coats though but does leave a good finish. I'm not confident enough to use plaster as you only get 1 shot to get it right! I'm a bit worried now about the asbestos thing as i tend to attack the artex with a sanding pole 1st, so I think the best bet would be to strap and sheet your ceiling then tape.
good luck

belmoreboy
12-07-2010, 09:55 AM
SJG is right the thistle bond it is the nuts, very neat product - think a few other manufacturers are now getting in on the act.

matt
12-07-2010, 06:52 PM
PVA and skim
Give it a go,you'll be surprised at how easy it is.
The trick is to make up enough stuff for the full area and get it on quickly, then mix a small amount for a second coat.
You need to have everything ready and as soon as the mix is made you just go at it.
The cost of a bag of multi finish is as low as 3.5 and covers 9-10m2.
If you can use a hawk and trowel then your half way there (trowel needs the edges rounded off slightly).
If you make an arse of it just fill once with velvet after your first coat of well pissed down emulsion.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained:)

DMS
12-07-2010, 10:23 PM
electric sander with 80 grit sanding discs, deflex or abranet work well, then float over it with joint cement, usg or knauf ready mix have some glue in them which will bond well, though you probably want to seal it first.

happytaper
13-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Had the PVA set prior to skimming?
Plaster does not stick well to hardened PVA. Apply the skim to the PVA when it is the tacky to the touch stage of setting.

Use dilute PVA to seal porous surfaces and then use neat or V.strong PVA solution for the bonding agent onto a sealed or non porous surface. Apply plaster when PVA is still tacky.
or
Use gyproc bondit (sets like liquid sandpaper) to seal several areas at the same time allow it set and then plaster.

dont think it had set too much was doing it systematically i was putting on the pva while another guy was mixing the skim when i was laying it on he was carrying on with the pva. the corner where it came off was where i started applying the pva first so maybe it was hardened by then and that is probably why it came off.thanks for the advice.still wished i boarded it and taped it.it looks perfect but id prefer to be looking at a brand new ceiling and i could have put in spotlights too!

JON RAMBO
18-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Over boarding is best option - if however you cant and dont want to lose space (coving in place etc) there are some great products on the market actually made by artex!

We sell stack of smooth it powder - its a cross between plaster and artex and less prone to cracking than just plain skim plaster.

If its a small area you of course used joint cement but it does shrink back and often takes two or three attempts to cover pattern properly.

Plenty of options as as always its down to time - cost and the job site its self.

im sure many of the forum members have there own methods - be good to hear what others use on a regular basis
smooth-it is awful worst stuff iv used and its very expensive avoid!

JON RAMBO
22-07-2010, 08:22 PM
I have skimmed over artex using BG joint cement. usually takes 3 coats though but does leave a good finish. I'm not confident enough to use plaster as you only get 1 shot to get it right! I'm a bit worried now about the asbestos thing as i tend to attack the artex with a sanding pole 1st, so I think the best bet would be to strap and sheet your ceiling then tape.
good luck
its been nice knowing you.:(

E.K Taper
30-07-2010, 08:09 AM
its been nice knowing you.:(

Thanks for your concern,Jon! I'm ok for now though........cough cough

turrican_007
30-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Stop messing about and get out the sanding machine.

E.K Taper
30-07-2010, 11:30 PM
I would love to mate but things are a bit tight financially,so I dont have the money to splash out on one :(

kilwinkie
13-08-2010, 10:03 PM
USG Prospray, Two coats straight onto artex trowel over and white Tuff Hide on top I've seen it twice now..... the business!!

Mark'the'Taper
24-01-2011, 07:20 PM
done this loads of times, the big question is has the artex been painted? if it has been painted with vinyl silk then re-sheet it, if it's been painted with matt emulsion then bond ceiling with PVA then put PVA into your mix of joint cement and give it 2-3 skims and sand, if the artex has never been painted or sealed then put on a decent mask with respirator and scrape then sand, seal it then snag it to hell, sand and paint. I have never had any problems with all 3 options....good luck.

scottishlad2k10
03-02-2011, 11:21 PM
Just moved in to new home and all the ceilings are lighty artex.
What's the best way to make it flat.
Any tips would be gratefully received.

this is probably a late reply but some yank in a discussion claimed "drywall sanders are only for popcornfinish/artex" so i argued there for flats...... then he said "No there for removing artex" but the easiest way rather than burning disks sanding is to get a steam stripper :) or some of that paint on artex remover i find the stripper alot cheaper and quicker as the moisture + heat makes it fall off. no real idea about the paint on stuff but im guessing itl have a good price and alot of mess but who knows =]

as "mark the taper says" about it being painted this isnt a problem with the steam stripper =] reboarding is a problem if your sheeting over the old stuff as there may be pipes and cables everywhere and god knows what else may be lerking

crack filler
02-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Just to reawaken this thread is there anything new on the market for covering artex

big g
02-07-2012, 08:36 PM
knock high spots off,pva,coat of carlite bonding,2 coats multi,never let me down

Brian S
03-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Steve as per Big G, but give that Blue Febond a go, I rate it better than PVA.

crack filler
03-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Thanks both of you. It's a favour for a friend of the family, pain in the ass but got to do it.

krispie
04-07-2012, 07:02 AM
Haha, and they are the pickiest buggers made worse by the fact you have done it for nought or shag all .......

wallpaul
04-07-2012, 04:21 PM
knock off any spots then use gyproc filler with pva in the mix,then coat of ames then sand.
done all my ceilings this way and a few for family,friends etc never had a problem.

big g
04-07-2012, 05:31 PM
good luck crack,doing 1 just now,neice bought a 3 bed flat needing a lot of work,ceilings and walls,ceilings done with that polytex shite that was on the go years ago.thought it was a simple case of scraping then coating as per,went to scrape and it was done on top of paper and they were all bost,scraping that of and finish coat of plaster was coming of as well and a right few cracks everywhere,neice says i know you will not take any money uncle george but will get you a bottle of wine and some tobacco lol
the girl will go far.

crack filler
04-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Thanks for all your advice. krispie and bigG you've hit the nail right on the head it's a thankless nightmare but we would not have it any other way otherwise we would charge the first relative 500 for a small ceiling and no one would ask again.

GMan
04-07-2012, 08:35 PM
As per Big G, I would also do a coat of bonding followed by 2 multi, you get a far better finish and yes i'd use the Febond Bluegrit, cheaper than thistle bond and I think its better. Used this system more times than I can remember and no comebacks.

kentish plasterer
06-07-2012, 12:33 PM
id plaster over it mate use (((BIND IT)))))) ((((((WBA)))))) primer then plaster away lol or just call me and ill do it for you :fing02:

chester
08-07-2012, 03:51 PM
i have plastered over miles of old artex over the years using 5;1 pva mix hit with 2 coats bg bonding left over night to dry out followed by 2 coats multi Finnish with no problems until British gypsum messed around with their bonding formula it dont stick to artex now and cracks its shit. we now use bond-it skim out with heavy coat multi Finnish back rubbed with a brush for a key left to set then hit again with 2more coats and polish .

Davie@ATT
15-07-2012, 05:05 PM
always feb or thistle bond it used pva also no problems ever. bonding coat to level it out and skim out.. fuk boarding over to much hassle

Brian S
16-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Here ya go Febond Blue under 20 a tub http://www.randjbuildershardware.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/9145/s/febond-blue-grit-extra-grip-plaster-bonding-agent-10-litre/category/550/