PDA

View Full Version : Paper or metal corner bead?

amestaper
28-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Was interested to see if anyone uses plastering beads. I have used both but prefer the paper backed metal corner tape.

TonyM
28-01-2009, 06:14 PM
I hate metal tape with a passion. I use thincoat drywall bead as it will take a knock, whereas tape won't. I want to use the new No-Coat corner tape but it works out at over a quid a metre, so sod that! The only time I use flex tape is on non 90 degree corners.

amestaper
29-01-2009, 12:33 PM
NoCoat brand is good apparently. Never used it but I have a few boxes of the Knauf corner flex equivalent lying around in my garage (they were freebies) which I have used for cooms and odd shaped external angles.

I never knew about the Ultra/Arch corner beads so thanks for mentioning this Tony :fing02: I have at least 3 arches in every house at the site were on and this will come in handy.

I only need to find somewhere nearby who sells it now. :confused:

amestaper
29-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Found what I was looking for at Belmore. They have No-Coat and Strait Flex brands in stock.

TonyM
29-01-2009, 05:08 PM
I had a few very short samples from the BG/ Artex rep, and asked him for a box to try but he couldn't get any (useless!) Belmore didn't have any No Coat when I rang them a few weeks back but obviously do now.

the_tapeinator
29-01-2009, 09:25 PM
A tough decision. I prefer a thin corner bead for toughness but will use corner tape for higher production levels. I can do either, it just depends on what the client pays for.

dryliner8
31-08-2009, 06:45 AM
has anyone had any probs with corner flex lately?? i've found that bg is ok but a lot of the others is kinking when trying to put it on . think that one of the strips of metal must not be straight and that makes a ripple on the corner. spoke to the rep and he said he didnt get enough complaints to do anything about it but gave us 10 free boxes which were all put in the skip!! thinking about just using bead from now on

TonyM
31-08-2009, 01:12 PM
I'm using No-Coat most of the time now. It's quality stuff. Going to give Straitflex a go though.

belmoreboy
01-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Tony

How many strait flex or no coat you going through a month? be nice to sort you some better pricing than single roll rate - goes for anyone else too post here how many you using a month and i will forward quote to your mailbox, basically the more i can order in bulk the lower the price i can sell to you guys !!

Captain perfect
01-09-2009, 07:43 PM
I like to use a thin coat plaster bead when ever possible, We tend to staple it on at the end of the day as it is a clean job. It does how ever take more filler & joint cement than a flex tape, but can with stand a few knocks & the electric sander better.

dryliner8
09-10-2009, 07:24 PM
just been on a job where metal bead was being used and other tapers were just putting 2 coats of cement on to the bead, i always try to give 1 filler,1 tight easi fill and then a final coat of cement just wondered what everyone else does?? cheers:)

amestaper
09-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Always a setting compound first, followed by easi fill then joint cement or the setting compound followed by 2 coats of joint cement. You can get away with only 2 coats but it takes longer to dry as its spread on thicker and needs more sanding. I had a job 2 weeks ago and the client wanted it finished (sanded & primed by day 3) and said he was happy with only 2 coats on corners even though I could see it wasnt so good.

Given the choice, time and if moneys no object - 3 coats.

Could go on but Phil Taylor v Adrian Lewis is on telly and theres a beer with my name on it so cheerio....

scottishlad2k10
28-08-2011, 02:25 PM
has anyone had any probs with corner flex lately?? i've found that bg is ok but a lot of the others is kinking when trying to put it on . think that one of the strips of metal must not be straight and that makes a ripple on the corner. spoke to the rep and he said he didnt get enough complaints to do anything about it but gave us 10 free boxes which were all put in the skip!! thinking about just using bead from now on

yes i got rolls that were kinking and kicking back out also found in rolls that some where the steel strip ended was just mearly joint to the next length of steel strip with frigging tape.

M T Buckets Painting
03-09-2011, 10:44 PM
I'm using No-Coat most of the time now. It's quality stuff. Going to give Straitflex a go though.

I have used both materials quite a bit. The no-coat is a far superior product. No-Coat is much more expensive but, worth every bit.

TonyM
03-09-2011, 11:33 PM
I have used both materials quite a bit. The no-coat is a far superior product. No-Coat is much more expensive but, worth every bit.

Since that post, i'm now only using USG tape on beads and beaded flex. Straitflex is utter crap and No Coat has priced itself out of the market.(40 a box - no thanks)

Beermonster
06-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Since that post, i'm now only using USG tape on beads and beaded flex. Straitflex is utter crap and No Coat has priced itself out of the market.(40 a box - no thanks)

Yea USG tape on beads all the way!! And the beaded flex if the F**kers would deliver the stuff right! My last beaded flex looked like a snake when i took it out of the box(F**ked) and my last 2 boxes of beads have been bent a little which u can fix but it takes time which i shouldn't have 2 deal with!
Got a box of 3m beads i have not even looked at as im scared there is a huge rip in the box and Marcus will be thinkin i am speakin sh*t about this stuff comin all bent!!:mad::mad::mad:

TonyM
06-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Yea USG tape on beads all the way!! And the beaded flex if the F**kers would deliver the stuff right! My last beaded flex looked like a snake when i took it out of the box(F**ked) and my last 2 boxes of beads have been bent a little which u can fix but it takes time which i shouldn't have 2 deal with!
Got a box of 3m beads i have not even looked at as im scared there is a huge rip in the box and Marcus will be thinkin i am speakin sh*t about this stuff comin all bent!!:mad::mad::mad:

My last box of beaded flex was kinked. The delivery drivers have no idea what it is, so just bung it on the lorry.

Beermonster
07-09-2011, 03:38 PM
My last box of beaded flex was kinked. The delivery drivers have no idea what it is, so just bung it on the lorry.
I will have 2 put up a photo of the box i got!
Opened my 2.4 beads today they r bent 2!!!! Can b fixed me thinks!! Open 3m beads the morn c if i have any straight beads!!:(:(

Beermonster
08-09-2011, 03:52 PM
I will have 2 put up a photo of the box i got!
Opened my 2.4 beads today they r bent 2!!!! Can b fixed me thinks!! Open 3m beads the morn c if i have any straight beads!!:(:(
Opened my 3m beads today and they r f**ked 2:mad:
Told Marcus about it so they have taped bits of wood 2 the boxes c if we can get them here in 1 piece;) Find out the morn when the new beads get here!!!!

E.K Taper
08-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Opened my 3m beads today and they r f**ked 2:mad:
Told Marcus about it so they have taped bits of wood 2 the boxes c if we can get them here in 1 piece;) Find out the morn when the new beads get here!!!!

I've got some Locusrite if ya want it ! It might be straighter:whistling:

E.K Taper
08-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Just realised I haven't given my tuppenceworth on this thread, paper backed metal tape for me. Never used the plasterers bead.

prjwebb
16-09-2011, 06:20 PM

Where do you get the beaded flex from Tony. I'm sick of rolls of tape, I'd like to try some proper beads but no where around here seems to stock it.

TonyM
16-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Where do you get the beaded flex from Tony. I'm sick of rolls of tape, I'd like to try some proper beads but no where around here seems to stock it.

Encon in Plymouth keep it in stock. It's about 90 a box plus vat for 50x3m lengths, so not the cheapest, but it's good stuff. If you want to try a few lengths, let me know, as i'm working down your way.

belmoreboy
16-09-2011, 09:18 PM
sure i can beat that price, will have a look - the sheetrock flex is pretty good selling loads take a look here http://www.sheetrockdirect.com/acatalog/USG_Paper_Faced_Metal_Bead___Trim_.html

prjwebb
17-09-2011, 09:06 AM
What's the difference between the Beaded Flex and the B1 Bead? Are they both right angled solid metal edges rather than thin strips of tin foil glued to paper like the normal corner tape?

Encon in Plymouth keep it in stock. It's about 90 a box plus vat for 50x3m lengths, so not the cheapest, but it's good stuff. If you want to try a few lengths, let me know, as i'm working down your way.

Cheers for the offer Tony, I reckon I'll talk to the client about it on Monday and if he's willing to pay for the stuff I'll order a box or 2 and see how it goes. Hopefully he won't just go with the cheaper option.

Beermonster
17-09-2011, 03:50 PM
What's the difference between the Beaded Flex and the B1 Bead? Are they both right angled solid metal edges rather than thin strips of tin foil glued to paper like the normal corner tape?

Cheers for the offer Tony, I reckon I'll talk to the client about it on Monday and if he's willing to pay for the stuff I'll order a box or 2 and see how it goes. Hopefully he won't just go with the cheaper option.
Beaded Flex will go 2 any angle and B1 is the 90!! Its more expensive but u can put the stuff on fast!!

prjwebb
18-09-2011, 09:58 AM
That makes sense, cheers!

Beermonster
21-09-2011, 05:49 PM

Well if Belmore can beat that i will b surprised as i am 109.55 for this stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! From them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad:

Beermonster
21-09-2011, 05:53 PM
I could go on but not yet!! What other sheetrock stuff do u use Tony??:confused:

prjwebb
22-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Does the beaded flex come in 50 x 8ft lengths too or is it different to the B1? I'm about to order some for a job and I want to make sure I'm getting enough.

Beermonster
23-09-2011, 04:03 PM
It comes in 50x10 ft lengths!! B1 comes in either 8 or 10 ft lengths