PDA

View Full Version : Sanding....

saleen836
07-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Ok, so when I'm sanding with the machine I wear ear defenders (must get on and retro fit headphones so i can listen to music while sanding) then when going round with the pole after and tidying up the reveals I wear a decent dust mask, recently on a few sites when I have seen other tapers sanding they don't wear a mask, have even seen a taper sanding with a machine with no hoover attached and again no mask! Have spoken to them and said "no mask?" to which they reply " i forgot it/can't be bothered!"
The other thing I have noticed is that the majority of tapers I have seen not wearing a mask and who give the "forgot it/can't be bothered" comments are always hand tapers!
So, who wears what protection when sanding and are you a machine or hand taper?

christaper22
08-08-2010, 05:59 AM
machine taper, ear defenders and a high quality mask for me. If i forgot my mask i would be driving home or to the nearest builders merchant to pick one up.

TonyM
08-08-2010, 08:20 AM
Machine sand, ipod with ear muffs over the top, so I can hear my tunes, and an FFP3 mask.

Captain perfect
08-08-2010, 08:49 AM
I machine sand with the festool & wear small foam disposable ear plugs.

Have not worn a mask for years,

I would be very interested to know the full health risks of breathing in sanding dust.

Goodmanatee
08-08-2010, 09:30 AM
iPod and decent dust mask.
What music do you listen to when sanding?
I find a decent bit heavy rock helps . Rage against the machine, metallic, system of a down.
Anyone got favourite playlists please post?

mciano87
08-08-2010, 01:03 PM
im a hand jointer and machine jointer but either way i hand sand wear ear plugs and a quality mask with a baseball cap to keep some dust from my eyes!!!but dont u find with the sanding machines they take too much off a lot of the time especially when you dont have the hover attatched???

TonyM
08-08-2010, 01:36 PM
And you would use a sander without a hoover attached, because...........?

I only listen to dance music, mainly trance.

DMC
08-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Machine taper,always use a mask and have my ipod on, some good metal and rock.

christaper22
09-08-2010, 11:59 AM

My piece of crap generator will only power the sander to about 10rpm when using the hoover as well.
When there is a house with power on within 100m im sorted with a transformer.

belmoreboy
09-08-2010, 12:51 PM
As long as sander is out of warranty - Belmoreboy likes people who don't use sanders with vacs cause they keep our repair shop busy !!:)

In other words please use vacs with sanders people, they are designed to be used together! and they will break if used without, some take longer than others but the dust will cover the motor and burn out in inevitable :fing02:

Dobietaper
02-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Machine/hand taper sanding with flex & hoover Mp3 player , jumper with hood , dust mask

Goodmanatee
03-09-2010, 04:58 PM

I only listen to dance music, mainly trance.

Bit of drum and bass as well, to remind me of my drug riddled younger years.

Dobietaper
03-09-2010, 05:02 PM
Bit of drum and bass as well, to remind me of my drug riddled younger years.
or some mad acid tekno hehe;)

crack filler
08-09-2010, 08:16 AM
hand taper and always a mask, but for years masks were unheard of on site, was not until flat ceilings took over from artex that I started to see tapers using masks.

Deck
09-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Machine taper and always a mask. You only have one pair of lungs so you have to look after them!

TradeDecoratingSupplies
23-10-2010, 06:31 PM
I agree, anyone tried using abranet to become "dust free"

Amby DW
23-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Finally going to invest in a dustless sander after one of my main contractors has now
a dust free clause for all trades .
anyone recommend as good one, seen festool top of the range effert for 1400 is it worth it or u just paying for the brand .

TradeDecoratingSupplies
23-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Finally going to invest in a dustless sander after one of my main contractors has now
anyone recommend as good one, seen festool top of the range effert for 1400 is it worth it or u just paying for the brand .

no way, wait i'll get you a link to my best seller, only thing is its a hand held that you buy an extension for, but I have a demo unit with very dusty substrates to test it on in a small area and no one has ever left without buying it

TradeDecoratingSupplies
23-10-2010, 09:09 PM

http://www.mirkadustfreesanding.co.uk/

TradeDecoratingSupplies
23-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Festool was my fave until I used this tho, best thing to do is have a play with them all and see which one suits you best

TonyM
23-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Time is money, and there is no way that Mirka thing can compete with a 'proper' drywall sander.

TradeDecoratingSupplies
23-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Time is money, and there is no way that Mirka thing can compete with a 'proper' drywall sander.

Oh no I appreciate that, I was thinking more of the abranet on your usual gear, the sanding discs are standard size, from triangles up to large discs, theres like 10,000 holes in a disc so it aids the whole dust free concept & they dont clog. I'll post you a pack out free to try if you want?

Explain the difference to me please???? ((thicko))

crack filler
23-10-2010, 11:07 PM
Oh no I appreciate that, I was thinking more of the abranet on your usual gear, the sanding discs are standard size, from triangles up to large discs, theres like 10,000 holes in a disc so it aids the whole dust free concept & they dont clog. I'll post you a pack out free to try if you want?

Explain the difference to me please???? ((thicko))

OMG don't start offering free stuff these guys won't leave you alone lol

TonyM
23-10-2010, 11:32 PM
I don't think your Abracadabra stuff is compatable with most of our kit.

TradeDecoratingSupplies
23-10-2010, 11:33 PM
OMG don't start offering free stuff these guys won't leave you alone lol

lol lol you want some ;)

TradeDecoratingSupplies
23-10-2010, 11:35 PM
I don't think your Abracadabra stuff is compatable with most of our kit.

Abracadabra - how ruuuuuude ;)

Why Tony? Size, Grade teach me pls

crack filler
23-10-2010, 11:59 PM
lol lol you want some ;)

Yeah

TonyM
23-10-2010, 11:59 PM
225mm circular sanding pads to fit Flex, Festool etc. The sander on that link is too small for drywall. You'd get laughed off site.

TradeDecoratingSupplies
24-10-2010, 12:28 AM
225mm circular sanding pads to fit Flex, Festool etc. The sander on that link is too small for drywall. You'd get laughed off site.

they do bigger, and errrm ....size does not matter as long as it performs

turktown taper
24-10-2010, 04:42 PM
hi
ive used some of them discs ,

turktown taper
24-10-2010, 04:48 PM
they do bigger, and errrm ....size does not matter as long as it performs

ive used them before, not bad 225mm on a flex
a pack of 100grit would get you a better review ! LOL! :D

Goodmanatee
24-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Hardened flex user.
Going to take alot to persuade me.

TradeDecoratingSupplies
24-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Spoke to my man at Mirka, they'll give me 10 packs of discs to send out free, PM me you're preferred grade & delivery details and i'll get em out to yas

TradeDecoratingSupplies
24-10-2010, 09:41 PM
on a first come basis obviously :) much luv chaps

TradeDecoratingSupplies
26-10-2010, 08:09 PM
I've still got 7 packets of abranet if anyone wants to try some, they popped in to see me today, they're giving me discs that are compatible with the flex

belmoreboy
26-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Hi we looked at stocking these discs a few years back and a couple of things stick in my mind:

Firstly we thiought they were too aggresive for standard jointing compounds and much more suited to scandanavian or european fillers which set alot harder than uk compounds.

The other thing we noticed was after a while they would lose there grip on the pad, and as most customers use a variety of backing pads (whatever they can get hold of at the time!) it was difficult to be confident of the disc staying attached at all times, with this we have always reverted back to a solid disc for these reasons and also the biggest reason and that was price, most tapers dont get paid extra for using the latest and greatest gear on site.

Be interested to see how you all get along with the abranet, im currently undecided:cool:

Goodmanatee
26-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Someone please buy the new flex!!!!!!

belmoreboy
26-10-2010, 09:14 PM
I did - ive got loads of them !! (bargain ex dem if anyones interested pm for price too low for public post!)

TradeDecoratingSupplies
26-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Hi we looked at stocking these discs a few years back and a couple of things stick in my mind:

Firstly we thiought they were too aggresive for standard jointing compounds and much more suited to scandanavian or european fillers which set alot harder than uk compounds.

The other thing we noticed was after a while they would lose there grip on the pad, and as most customers use a variety of backing pads (whatever they can get hold of at the time!) it was difficult to be confident of the disc staying attached at all times, with this we have always reverted back to a solid disc for these reasons and also the biggest reason and that was price, most tapers dont get paid extra for using the latest and greatest gear on site.

Be interested to see how you all get along with the abranet, im currently undecided:cool:

Hey you :)

Simon from Artex gave me your business card, he speaks very highly of you.

I'm desperate for people to try them before I commit myself to a mahoooosive order with them I'd like feedback from people in different trades, if they last as long as they say my deccies won't be ploughing through them, and I may well need to think about targetting different trades to shift them, you know what the minimum order is like.
I know what you're saying about the price, but if they last longer thats relative, certainly not saying its the latest & greatest..there's always something new & improved, I was thinking could be a good move for people that stick to new builds cos they don't like putting dustsheets etc down for refurbs.

Thats why I'm here to ask the experts :) .....did you pinch my sunglasses? ;)

Goodmanatee
26-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Clear your inbox then!

belmoreboy
26-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Clear your inbox then!

sorry mate busy boy full inbox now cleared

belmoreboy
26-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Hey you :)

Simon from Artex gave me your business card, he speaks very highly of you.

I'm desperate for people to try them before I commit myself to a mahoooosive order with them I'd like feedback from people in different trades, if they last as long as they say my deccies won't be ploughing through them, and I may well need to think about targetting different trades to shift them, you know what the minimum order is like.
I know what you're saying about the price, but if they last longer thats relative, certainly not saying its the latest & greatest..there's always something new & improved, I was thinking could be a good move for people that stick to new builds cos they don't like putting dustsheets etc down for refurbs.

Thats why I'm here to ask the experts :) .....did you pinch my sunglasses? ;)

Ah yes silly of me Simon mentioned you the other day, good luck with your testing and feedback on the discs!
Will have to speak soon - will send you my contact details
Cheers

Marcus

TonyM
26-10-2010, 10:13 PM
I'll take Marcus's word for it that they're crap.

TradeDecoratingSupplies
26-10-2010, 10:16 PM
I'll take Marcus's word for it that they're crap.

I love an open mind!

TradeDecoratingSupplies
26-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Ah yes silly of me Simon mentioned you the other day, good luck with your testing and feedback on the discs!
Will have to speak soon - will send you my contact details
Cheers

Marcus

Super :) I shall look forward to it

Thanks xx

belmoreboy
26-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Loyal followers !! Cheers Tony !

amestaper
27-10-2010, 09:14 AM

Bought a few packets of this from Wetndrywall a few years ago. The mesh was hard as nails and sanded so easy, but scored the wall to hell if the sheet ripped on a nail or something. Wouldnt look past it if you've got some British Gypsum joint cement thats been left to harden for a month before sanding. On the other hand, definitely no good for the softer compounds.

Needs knocking out quite often too, maybe I had the wrong kind of foam backing pad as Marcus mentioned?

MUDMAX
16-10-2014, 10:21 PM
And anyone does wet sanding? By the way hi guys, i'm a new one here

ALROH57
17-10-2014, 06:06 AM
And anyone does wet sanding? By the way hi guys, i'm a new one here
Ive done a small amount, how can I help.

MUDMAX
17-10-2014, 07:48 AM
What kind of sponge is suitable for that? It has to be profesional or whatever household one is OK?

ALROH57
17-10-2014, 08:40 AM
What kind of sponge is suitable for that? It has to be profesional or whatever household one is OK?

Wet sanding is not as good as dry sanding, but I use a round drywall sponge (Belmore stock these) or you could use a Spontex sponge from the supermarkets. Make sure the area is dry first then wet the sponge and wring out not to wet and use circular sanding motions. The idea is to blend and blur the edges. I have used this on switch rooms and comms rooms where dust is a problem. Hope this helps ALAN