PDA

View Full Version : Radios banned on site.

christaper22
20-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Anyone else working on a site thats banned radios?

What a joke, As if taping all day the same job ive done for years isnt boring enough the site i'm on has now imposed a radio ban. How depressing working all day on your own in silence. I pods and personal radios are also banned.

Thos seems totally counter productive to me as everyone works faster and for longer with some music in the background.

This site is a big one and there is alot of work here and money to be earned otherwise i think i would of just walked of site as soon as the agent came in and turned it off.

W**nkers

E.K Taper
20-08-2010, 08:14 PM
I am working on Persimmon jobs just now and although the sign at the main gate says " no radios allowed on site!" no one has actually enforced it., An Ashleigh site I worked on 2 years ago DID ban them however, and although the agent sympathised, if the suits walked on site and caught us then we could be chucked off the job! Crazy to think you could get banned from site for listening to some tunes.
As I said in a previous thread, I am working without a radio just now and its torture. Have you noticed that the last song you hear while driving to work just goes round your head all day long? OK if its a good song but yesterday it was Katy bloomin Perry AAARRGH

matt
20-08-2010, 08:31 PM
OK if its a good song but yesterday it was Katy bloomin Perry AAARRGH
I :censored: hate that song as well as enrique englaziarse. They're on all the time!
I once had a 110 volt to 240 transformer transformer from usa so that I could plug my boogie box into it at full volume it was magic. I remember a Director of the company coming on site and I had the 240 plug going into an extension then an adapter then another adapter to the 110 and he was like what the :censored: is that. I was just lucky the sound was down low and he went "that cant be 240" and walked off :D

If anyone tells me no radios, I explain to them that it is the only source of information if a nuclear war breaks out and it is a clear breach of my human rights to not have an emergency media contact point present at any given time.

E.K Taper
20-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Nice one! And we need to know if there is a smash on the M8 too!!!:lmao:

matt
20-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Car park

turktown taper
20-08-2010, 09:43 PM
I am working on Persimmon jobs just now and although the sign at the main gate says " no radios allowed on site!" no one has actually enforced it., An Ashleigh site I worked on 2 years ago DID ban them however, and although the agent sympathised, if the suits walked on site and caught us then we could be chucked off the job! Crazy to think you could get banned from site for listening to some tunes.
As I said in a previous thread, I am working without a radio just now and its torture. Have you noticed that the last song you hear while driving to work just goes round your head all day long? OK if its a good song but yesterday it was Katy bloomin Perry AAARRGH
hmmmm id like katy perry & head !! LOL! :fing02:

matt
20-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Even after Brand
You sick b:censored:

christaper22
21-08-2010, 11:56 AM
I found out the reason for the ban this morning, the bricklayers were working near to a occupied house (not one that the site had built) with their dewalt on full blast. When the owner asked them to turn it down the reply was something along ther lines of f### off.

He then phoned the head office for persimmon! Stupid brickies!

Still cant see the reason i cant listen quitey in the block of flats im taping miles away from an houses.

DMC
21-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Been on a few sites where radios are banned, H&S are getting out of hand,going to need a risk assessment to scratch your a**e soon.

mik mpd
21-08-2010, 01:18 PM
the amount of sites you go on these days and when you first get there you get the half day induction nonsense realing off a list of the things they've banned and the crap you've gotta wear (glasses, hats, vests, gloves), truly drives me mad! surely as long as your a bit sensible it doesnt do any harm having a bit of background music, obviously you get the odd dik who has to try and deafen everyone but how hard is it to tell them to turn it down a bit! im sure they're just trying to make work as miserable as possible. All the funs gone off sites these days, everyones in too much of a rush all the while.
Hi vis vests are the thing that drive me mad, most of the work we do is in shops where they have no heavy machinery, sometimes the odd scissor lift so why do we need a hi vis vest on, is it just in case we walk into each other!!!!

Captain perfect
21-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Been on a few sites where radios are banned, H&S are getting out of hand,going to need a risk assessment to scratch your a**e soon.

I like the Chineese approach to H & S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLFAJQ7SLew&feature=related

Made my eyes water!

christaper22
21-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Hi vis vests are the thing that drive me mad, most of the work we do is in shops where they have no heavy machinery, sometimes the odd scissor lift so why do we need a hi vis vest on, is it just in case we walk into each other!!!!

I just buy hi-vis t-shirts now instead so im illuminated at all times, i did laugh the other day when i saw the site manager shouting up to a roofer on the ridge of a house to put his hard hat on.:nono:

christaper22
21-08-2010, 05:38 PM

Made my eyes water!

WOW! At least he was tied on. Not sure i'd fancy it though.

DMC
21-08-2010, 06:55 PM

Made my eyes water!

Whats wrong with good old fashioned dynamite??? :D

matt
21-08-2010, 07:53 PM
I always piss myself when a site manager comes out the office with the full kit on clean gloves, safety specs and the clean riggers with big wooly ironed socks hanging out the top.

E.K Taper
22-08-2010, 11:06 PM

Made my eyes water!
To think I got red carded for standin on a beer crate........

turktown taper
23-08-2010, 09:14 PM
I always piss myself when a site manager comes out the office with the full kit on clean gloves, safety specs and the clean riggers with big wooly ironed socks hanging out the top.
there all tossers !! never done a days hard work on site in there life, dont see them in there office with hard hat on, so why the fuxk should i wear mine inside when im taping a house or flat!!!
same things gonna fall on there heads as mine, fuxk all !!!!! :censored: :nono:

Mark'the'Taper
24-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Totally agree, hard hats inside a house(especiallynew build) does not make sense....mind you....the amount of times you have to fix protruding screws that joiners couldn't...it's a wonder some of the ceilings stay up long enough to tape(i've worked behind some poor joiners in my time). maybe that's why they make us wear hats inside?

scottishlad2k10
03-02-2011, 11:27 PM
ah we always get this! but is there anyone out here who can actually cope working without any music/entertainment? i personally cant work without radio aslong as its not "radio2" or "chris moyles" =]