PDA

View Full Version : the cut in taping prices?

flemo the trowel
18-02-2009, 02:39 PM
The prices for ames taping at the moment is shocking its getting harder to make money you are bursting your b---s to make money ,what do you all think?

TonyM
18-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Luckily I haven't had to go looking for work yet, but i've heard that some contractors are paying as little as 1.60 supply & fix, and 10 p.h daywork.
I'd be staying home with Jeremy Kyle then!

amestaper
18-02-2009, 08:19 PM
I'd be staying home with Jeremy Kyle then!

LOL. A couple of hours of daytime TV would be enough to persuade me go out and do some charity work methinks. ;) Those prices you quoted are frightening, aren't they?

Welcome to the forum Flemo, it's good to see another new member. I agree with your quote about the prices, especially on new builds. Just seems to be a matter of survival at the moment for some guys. I have had to drop the prices slightly to try and stay competitive. Chin up though, theres still good money in private work.

admin
19-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Nice to see you here Flemo the Trowel, and welcome! :fing02:

mike
19-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Hi flemo, arent we all busting our asses to make ends meet at the moment. Welcome aboard.

turrican_007
19-02-2009, 04:10 PM
There`s one firm that i know who have dropped there rates to, 1.35 , and the day rate is 60.00, and i know good jointers that are having to take the work, suppose its better then sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring...

TonyM
22-02-2009, 12:40 PM
For 1.35 i'd give it one coat of Easifill with a curved trowel, and let them do the rest.

amestaper
22-02-2009, 02:19 PM
For 1.35 i'd give it one coat of Easifill with a curved trowel, and let them do the rest.

I would offer a fire coat tape and wouldnt even sand. How can you take pride in your work at those prices? Honestly, I would rather cut grass or wash cars instead of people taking the piss like that. Its an employers market and it is a good idea to have a plan B so you arent forced into slave labour just to survive.

Whats the point in working for zero profit?

TonyM
22-02-2009, 02:49 PM
I've not done larger residential sites for a good 2 yrs or so. The last i did, I got 2.50 a metre. I know the same company is now paying sub 2.00 a metre and is employing a lot of eastern europeans. All of my work is from recommendation and i'm still getting up around 3.50 a metre plus extra for drywall sealer, and the phone is still ringing.

the_tapeinator
23-02-2009, 01:21 PM
3.25 per sq metre and 2.50 a metre for corner tape including materials is the absolute bare minimum I am prepared to work for. I'm getting too old for this shit and would rather sit on my arse and let the eastern eurropeans work for low prices if they are prepared to. I agree with Tonys comments regarding recomendations, he is obviously doing something right if he keeps getting repeat customers and his phone is still ringing.
Want to survive this recession? My advice is dont lowball each other to start a price war. Charge the going rate, and do your very best at all times to keep your customer happy as it takes years to build a good reputtion but minutes to destroy one.

turrican_007
23-02-2009, 03:15 PM

If 1.35 is not bad enough they except you to use paper tape on the joints aswell :nono:

Hammerhead
17-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Stay away from the major players and big house builders as they are ripping the piss out of everyone to keep the hefty profit margins they depend on. ;) @ 1.35 a m2 do they whip you all day long? and no doubt these will be the companies who sack you for leaving 5 minutes early. I would love to know who they are????

amestaper
17-03-2009, 02:41 PM
@ 1.35 a m2 do they whip you all day long? and no doubt these will be the companies who sack you for leaving 5 minutes early. I would love to know who they are????

I would too.

scottthetaper
23-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Couldnt agree more keep the prices up & lets try & keep these easty beastys off our sites you only get what you pay for quilaty wise eh:).

amestaper
24-03-2009, 07:20 AM
I read a thread on another forum recently where one contractor in the US decided to test the water on how prices are at the moment. I tried the same thing when I measured a small local job last Friday.

It involved taping a single 2 story house extension and I estimated around 200m2 of plasterboard and 2 boxes of corner tape. I priced the job at cost, with virtually no profit, and was reassured by the client it was a great price he didn't think would be beaten.

I was preparing to start the job this morning but got a telephone call last night informing me my quote had been undercut by over 400. :eek: Theres no way I can match that and I'm not prepared to enter a price war and buy my work. I have my own ideas on how the guy managed to quote that low and feel it will come back and bite the client in the arse at some point.

Thought I'd share this experience with you all and no doubt you all have your own stories to tell.

Never mind, onto plan B today then...

amestaper
24-03-2009, 01:40 PM
The plot thickens. My Plan B main contractor insists I should now quote below 2 a square metre if I want some taping work.

Now where's that kiss my arse smilie???????

We all know it can't be done properly at that price and shortcuts will be taken. God help the painters!!!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

amestaper
24-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Couldnt agree more keep the prices up & lets try & keep these easty beastys off our sites you only get what you pay for quilaty wise eh:).

Hi Scottthetaper, and welcome aboard.

See this article by the London Evening Standard. (http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23586253-details/Migrant%20builders%20threat%20to%20Olympic%20'skil ls%20legacy'/article.do?expand=true)

skimzz
27-03-2009, 09:24 AM
CANT GET PRIVATE MESSAGE YET POP UP BLOCKER:nono:
GUYS THE RATES YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT ARE BAD WORRYING TIMES AHEAD

JPxTPxMP
12-04-2009, 04:11 PM
I try not to but do get fed up with the state of things, and prices are really pants .... if you can find a job I mean ????