PDA

View Full Version : Starting New Tapers

TonyM
26-08-2010, 08:53 PM
You guys that use subbies, how do you go about taking on a new one? I need a lift on a job and all my regulars are too busy to help, so i may have to find a new one. Good ones are few and far between, but I know if I advertise for one, I am going to be inundated with phone calls from all corners of the country and they are more than likely to be chancers. You can normally tell within a short time if someone knows what they are doing, but i'm not keen on sacking someone by crib time on the first day. I would be tempted to tell them that if their work wasn't up to scratch, then they wouldn't be getting paid, but that seems a bit c***ish. What do you boys do?

amestaper
26-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Ive never used someone I dont know mate, but sometimes even the ones you do know let you down. Isnt there someone here you could call on?

TonyM
26-08-2010, 09:30 PM
The job is nearly at Lands End. It's a trek for me every day.

amestaper
26-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Being surrounded by water on 3 sides seriously limits your options doesnt it? Good luck with that.

If it was up this way I'd have jumped on it. A big job I was meant to start about 3 weeks ago fell through because an architect made a cnut of it and created all kinds of problems I dont really need at the moment.

Goodmanatee
27-08-2010, 09:38 AM
The job is nearly at Lands End. It's a trek for me every day.

Somewhere near Hayle, Tony? Did a travel lodge there about 5 years ago. Took me 10 hours to get home one Friday.
The people I've taught have been mates who've been in shit jobs and want to earn decent cash.
I start them on 50 a day and aim to have it up to a 100 a day within a year, year and a half. They don't have to contribute anything. But I cap it a 100 a day. By that time they should know what they are doing. If they want to earn more they have to fly the nest and go it alone. You have to do it by yourself for a while to full the pressure of getting the job done, not hiding behind me.
Some stay and are happy to earn a regular income.
Find a young boy and look after him and teach him right!