PDA

View Full Version : outside 90 corner rollers?

E.K Taper
06-10-2010, 11:23 PM
Whats the best type of corner roller to buy for external beads? We're changing to Knauf plastic external corner tape and it burns the fingertips when squeezing it on, nightmare, so thinking about the outside 90 rollers. Would they work on Knauf tape, and are they expensive?
cheers

Goodmanatee
07-10-2010, 09:35 AM
Yes they do work on the knauf bead.
You'll want the one with the longer rolls on it. ( not the tapetech one, works with normal flex really well.)
The Columbia one has wider rollers on it but has a step in it so might deform egde of angle.
Question for Marcus. Does the Sheetrock roller have a step on the rollers or are straight?
If straight they might be your best bet.
Use a hopper or tube or cornerbox with a 90 outside applicator on.
Butter up with cement using one of the above . Roll, then filler over top. Bobs your uncle. You'll fly through it.
Just changed from fingers to roller. Lot quicker.

TonyM
07-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Good luck with the Knaff bead. It's Straitflex rebranded by Knaff and it curls up.
As the Manatee man says, get the longer bushed roller.

E.K Taper
07-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Butter up with cement using one of the above . Roll, then filler over top.

You use cement to butter up the tapes?? Thats gonna take a lot longer to dry is it not? or would the filler set it off?

TonyM
07-10-2010, 10:33 PM
Butter up with cement using one of the above . Roll, then filler over top.
You use cement to butter up the tapes?? Thats gonna take a lot longer to dry is it not? or would the filler set it off?

You'll be surprised at how quick the bond is achieved with cement. If i have a lot to do, i'll use cement to apply, clean off and coat up later once all beads are on. If there is only a few to do, i'll use easy fill or joint filler, and coat up as I go.

Goodmanatee
07-10-2010, 10:42 PM
The filler sets it off. You can wipe them down first then go back and coat up. The cement doesn't go on that thick when using tools to butter up, so starts to react with the paper quite quickly.
When i wipe down i don't take the gear off i wipe into the edge of the bead, so almost giving it 3 coats on edge once fillered and coated up again.
Sometimes I roll and coat, no wipe down. just depends how much work is in front of me!

E.K Taper
07-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Cheers guys, I will give Marcus, DMS and David a call see who offers me the best deal!!:fing02: