Visit Belmore Tools online shop

Thread: drywall primer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Default drywall primer

drywallschool.com

Another thread in the DIY section got me thinking. Does nobody ever use drywall primer?

It has its uses and I always recommend using the stuff to any clients I have. If I've been specified to only take the job up to a sanded stage before painting, why do hardly any painters and decorators apply it? I've seen some finishes ruined when a painter comes onto a contract after me, misses the primer coat, then paints a colour other than white or magnolia onto bare plasterboard walls and complains about the flashing it creates.

Does it all come down to profits, or does nobody really give a sh!t about job satisfaction anymore because things are just so damn cut throat at the moment with this downturn in the house building industry?

See this link describing level 1 -5 taping finishes. We dont use this in the UK but its still a good benchmark.
    http://www.nationalgypsum.com/resour...evisiting.aspx

Maybe this just raises another question about who should be doing the priming in the first place.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Senile Old Bastard the_tapeinator's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Tape, sand, remove any surface dust, apply mist coat, then paint 2 coats as usual. Go to pub when finished, easy!
    Jesus loves you........ everyone else thinks you're an arsehole.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default sometimes you do it yourself

I recommend a drywall sealer, but to painters around here, whatever is left over the the last job is primer. My solution is to offer priming as part of my surface package. I offer texture as well, so no sense waiting for the customer to prime it. I don't particularly care about removing the dust after sanding, though one painter I worked for used to broom it off and caused a lot of dents. What works quite well for me is "back-rolling". I apply the paint with a Graco Airless sprayer, and then roll the wall to settle the nap. We use a lot of recycled paper and gypsum in our plasterboard here so the paper is a bit softer than it was even 10 years ago and it scuffs quite badly even with 150 (80u) paper on the pole sander. I don't use a power sander but i hear it's worse.
    Plumb and Level are the framer's perogative ...I can give you flat and straight... www.lightrocktaping.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Drywall primer is used, so i was told by the citb (construction industry training board) to give the plasterboard an even suction for the paint, having said that its very rare that i see it used.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

I use the BG Drywall Sealer on all my jobs. It finishes the job in my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

i have asked customers about applying a plasterboard sealer to the newly taped plasterboard but most of them decline because they think that your trying to get more money out of them,now i dont bother unless the customer asks for it,i would usely use gyproc plasterboard sealer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We've had to use it the past couple of years while house bashing for Taylor-Wimpey, mainly the cost that puts most customers off. I've left that recently and gone on the books for a company. I've got about 2 dozen 101 tubs I don't want now...10 each if anyone is interested?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Certain builders want BG Drywall Primer/Sealer to be used, but tbh they're few and far between. I used to recommend it to customers when doing extensions etc but they baulked at the cost (50 a tub B&Q). Ended up just telling them to use White Matt/Magnolia Matt.
    I taped and sanded a kitchen and living room for a woman last week, came back with coving for the 2 rooms and she'd coated the rooms with SILK emulsion

Thread Information