Thread: Time to say goodbye?

Thanks

Default Article: Time to say goodbye?

Season Ticket Holder belmoreboy's Avatar
    Thanks

CSkills seemed such a good thing when it was first introduced and anything to 'discourage' so called cowboys and quick start up companies was a great thing for larger contractors and subbies, as it was a safeguard for consistent regulated work.
    But sadly this will fail and in a big way if grants won't even come close to covering any part of training fees.

Senile Old Bastard the_tapeinator's Avatar
    Thanks

I could name you many builders who wished they had never been forced Yes, forced by an old law into an CITB extortion racket they had to pay ,or else.

We need to face facts folks, the last government emptied the kitty and there is no money left. The CITB/CSkills are cash strapped like everyone else and should be allowed to go out of business like many otherswho dont have the cushion of government funding. Shoot it in the head and put it out of its misery!

Thanks

If more small businesses in the construction industry had confidence in the economy, then maybe they would start taking on apprentices and making use of the CITB grants available. Until things really pick up, apprenticeships will be few and far between, and the CITB will be holding on to the funds.

Thanks

I dislike the fact that it's a mandatory tax, enforced by an Act of Parliament that is based on turnover, and not profit. I won't go as far as to say the whole system should be scrapped but I think it should definitely be altered by loosening their control and allowing contractors the freedom of choice to opt in or out as they wish.

This reminds me of the BBC License fee, why wouldn't they propose a subscription for interested companies who wanted to take part? Maybe its because they fear losing their bread and butter that keeps them in existence?

An irrefutable truth is that a lot of small contractors, who probably won't even get a consultation from the CITB to see what they think, struggle to make the payments and have to pass the costs on to sub contractors. Surely individual companies can be responsible enough to train up their own apprentices without any outside interference?

I believe less state control, less red tape and less taxes will be just the very thing the building game needs to drag itself from off the floor after having already been delivered a knockout blow by the recession.

Thread Information