Thread: Critical lighting problems

Thanks

Default Critical lighting problems

Hi all, I had a local plasterer and taper came in yesterday to see me, he has a nightmare situation and i was wondering if its some of you have had the same:

he has a terrible client, the guy is a nightmare. but his problem is that first of all he taped a large entrance hall and then painted it with a standard vinyl emulsion: it felt and looked perfect however as soon as the lights came on it looked awful, (they are spot lights shining down the wall) he then put a skim finish on it, looked mint, then turned the lights on and every trowel mark was visible even though it felt smooth as hell, he painted it, nightmare still showing through.. the guy is judging the entire job on this one wall and wont pay him. 6K job. My only suggestion to him was to use a decent 100% flat Matt finish instead of a cheap vinyl to minimize any light reflection...any other suggestions its smooth as a babies bum.

The other problem is this. I would spray it for him in our Pro-walls coating tinted to the same colour as the spec 10C31 cream, however my finish would then look different to the rest of the house which has already been painted in the cheap vinyl emulsion...bad situation hey?

Getting the hang of this Goodmanatee's Avatar
    Thanks

Sealer and a mat paint.
    Steer clear of vinyl paints only causes headaches. Just found out the job I'm on is to be painted with silk. Snag snag snag.
    Show the client the BG White book says high sheen paints not recommended for dylining.

Thanks

I just wouldnt paint drywall with any vinyl silk paint ... ever. I've had painters come in after me who've tried it and should have known better. A slurry coat was mentioned in another thread, surely this could have worked for only one wall?
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

went and sprayed it for him today, put a primer surfacer on it and then a 100% matt finish, looked mint...shame about the rest of the house..vinyl everywhere. i spoke to the owner and told him if he is spending 750K on a beautiful house, why the hell is he painting it with the cheapest paint on the market....his reply was that "paint is paint"... and that i should stick to applying it rather than trying to sell him something he didn't need.... Arrogant sod. anyway i charged him 200 squid for an afternoons work.. didn't tell him that if he had spent that on a decent paint in the first place he would have had bought enough for the whole house.

a good tip " even a vinyl MATT has between a 2 % and 5% sheen level depending on the brand, its the vinyl.so under critical lighting even a vinyl matt can give problems" stay away from it, flat matt acrylic high build coatings will do the trick.

Thanks

Glad you got it sorted but we probably all have been there, the amount times I have stood there with a site agent with him turning the lights on and me turning them off again, got to be snagged in the light it was taped/ plastered in.

Thanks

Nightmare situation have been there too many times and it is soul destroying when the lights come on. Really makes you feel like throwing in the trowel! Good to hear you got it right!

Thanks

went and sprayed it for him today, put a primer surfacer on it and then a 100% matt finish, looked mint...shame about the rest of the house..vinyl everywhere. i spoke to the owner and told him if he is spending 750K on a beautiful house, why the hell is he painting it with the cheapest paint on the market....his reply was that "paint is paint"... and that i should stick to applying it rather than trying to sell him something he didn't need.... Arrogant sod. anyway i charged him 200 squid for an afternoons work.. didn't tell him that if he had spent that on a decent paint in the first place he would have had bought enough for the whole house.

a good tip " even a vinyl MATT has between a 2 % and 5% sheen level depending on the brand, its the vinyl.so under critical lighting even a vinyl matt can give problems" stay away from it, flat matt acrylic high build coatings will do the trick.

Thread Information