Thread: Banjos

Thanks

Default Banjos

Lookin at gettin a banjo and just wanted some advice really. Are they like a mini bazooka? What would you do when the ceilings are high? Any links of where to get one from?

Thanks

Thanks

To be honest mate I think the general opinion of them is they are a waste of your hard earned money

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crack filler View Post
    To be honest mate I think the general opinion of them is they are a waste of your hard earned money

Agree.
    www.dryliningfinisher.co.uk

Thanks

Not worth the money or the grief,i would stay well clear mate.

Thanks

They are messy and its not a mini Bazooka more of a box that applys compound to the back of the tape so you can stick it on the wall,i find it easier to fill it with a pump and quick when used with stillts. Heres a link. www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8fAMJjQtAc

Season Ticket Holder belmoreboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Sold quite a few over the years, think cornerbox bought one from me actually! majority of guys use them for fire taping and super easy to clean out as no parts are hidden like flatboxes and bazookas.
    Only dowside i find is that they were desinged for americans who baord sideways, and we don't so they need filling up when just under half empty to be 100% effective, but that said - they do exactly as intended and dont cost the earth.
    The Uk's No 1 Drylining & Plastering Tool Store
    01603 787464
    http://www.belmoretools.co.uk
    Skype - Facebook - Twitter - Blogger = belmoretools

Check Out http://www.SheetrockDirect.com Buy Sheetrock Products Online !

Thanks

I'm one of those Americans that used one for quite a while. Yes, we lay our rock horizontally so that may play a factor in their appeal to you guys. For smaller jobs they worked well for me. You can get some pretty good speed if you know the tricks. But they'll never come close to a tube. Advance Equipment will be offering one with a rotating wheel that holds the tape which should allow it (the tape) to roll easier. I know Belmore is on the list to send a sample to (along with other items I'm aware of*). Thinking right now, I'm sure their banjo would work well with the Fiba-Fuse tape.

I don't want to harass or annoy anyone but some Canadians fill a box with mud taped to their waste and put unstrung tape into the box. Then they pull it out of the box and put it on the wall. I'll take a banjo over that any day.

Here's the wildest banjo I've ever seen...(this is not the Advance Equipment banjo).
    TapingandJointing Banjo thread.jpg

It seems I can't get the graphic to enlarge...

Rick
    (*Advance and HSI missed a sample shipment that recently went out to Belmore from Seattle. Both companies hope to send protos on the next trip.)
    Last edited by rhardman; 07-12-2010 at 03:26 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by belmoreboy View Post
    Sold quite a few over the years, think cornerbox bought one from me actually! majority of guys use them for fire taping and super easy to clean out as no parts are hidden like flatboxes and bazookas.
    Only dowside i find is that they were desinged for americans who baord sideways, and we don't so they need filling up when just under half empty to be 100% effective, but that said - they do exactly as intended and dont cost the earth.
    why don't you lay down,do you do this on wood???? all stand ups????

Getting the hang of this Goodmanatee's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2buck View Post
    why don't you lay down,do you do this on wood???? all stand ups????
    Yes on timber, everything i've ever done has been "stand ups". It's the norm for us. Why don't we "lay down" what are advantages, disadvantages?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Goodmanatee View Post
    Yes on timber, everything i've ever done has been "stand ups". It's the norm for us. Why don't we "lay down" what are advantages, disadvantages?
    ok,to start,were metric in Canuck land but most of us still use Imperial measure ,so 8' sheet is 2.7 meters(i think)12 foot is 3.66 meters (this is for wood houses)
    disadvantage ,goes a bit to the rocker,they got to handle bigger sheets,but they do cover more ground with them,but 8 ft.(2.7) doing stand ups is $$$$$$$,the sheet sizes they half to use are 8 ft.....9ft....10ft.....12ft(3.66)
    -drywallers half to be good,know when to hook,stagger and split their sheets
    -butt joints,but not as many as you may think
    -framers(carpenters) MUST keep the crown up when framing walls
    advantages : one here it's code in houses only (wood)though drywall is not load bearing ,it does have shear qualities,or when staggered it helps tie the trusses and walls in better.
    -less material used ,on flats for example,8x12 wall,takes 2 -12's so 12 feet of tape,it would take 3 -8's to do same wall,so 16' of tape.so less mud used=less work
    -wood has a crown in it,(warp) so less fixing if laid down,stand ups,every stud can be a potential surprise.
    -more easy to hide joints when laid down
    -faster to run bazooka and boxes and less ware and tare on your body
    -easy to obtain a level 4 finish on lay downs,not as easy on stand ups,no 4 ft(0.308) hump,4ft hump,4ft hump (for some tapers)
    -wood shrinks,twist,holds moister so stand ups are more prone to cracking in joints ,lay downs you might get a screw pop,but no crack,yes maybe in a butt joint,b/c a butt joint is like a stand up so......
    -you would get fired here if you did a house of wood in stand ups here,and taper would get more money too.....wood is wood,there's bad things about it,so lay downs
    Now,steel stud is a different story,it's level,straight,don't shrink and twist like wood etc....so stand ups are easy to hide,it don't have all those bad properties like wood,plus here (commercial jobs)you do stand ups on steal stud to get a fire/gas seal code to pass,(continuous backing behind drywall joint)
    and rule of thumb when drywalling lay downs,under 4 ft stand it up,over 4 ft lay it down,hope that makes sense to you

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2buck For This Useful Post:

amestaper (10-12-2010),Goodmanatee (10-12-2010)

Thread Information