View Poll Results: What were your first steps into the trade?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Started straight from school

1 7.69%
  • Through my job as a painter and decorator

5 38.46%
  • Through my job as a plasterer

4 30.77%
  • Other (Please specify)

3 23.08%

Thread: First day on the job

Thanks

Default First day on the job

Very few people leave school and go straight into an apprenticeship as a taper, jointer or dryliner. In the UK it's still not 'officially' a trade in its own right yet thousands of people, including female tapers, do it effectively to a high standard and manage to make a successful career from it.

A high percentage drift into the job from either painting and plastering. Some have come from electrical, plumbing and joinery backgrounds while others have been chancers and bluffed it effectively.

We include a poll with this thread. As usual, you can remain anonymous, or you can choose to tell us all about your introduction, first impressions, lifetime of tough contract work, and big rewards in our remarkable trade.

Would especially like to hear from journeymen who started out in the 50's and 60's. The best story (eventually) gets a tapingandjointing.com t-shirt, in your size and choice of colour, complete with site logo once we get them printed up.

Senile Old Bastard the_tapeinator's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Would especially like to hear from journeymen who started out in the 50's and 60's.
    Ahem, (clearing my throat) that request will obviously be targeting young men like me? I started in 1970's
    Jesus loves you........ everyone else thinks you're an arsehole.

Thanks

Default I was just going to do it for the summer

...but after college I went back to it to pay off student loans. Once they were paid off i could not bear to start something else at beginning wages. that was only 22 years ago. As for school, I never took any, my boss trained me back in '87 as a sort of 3rd arm, running boxes, refilling Bazooka's and fetching whatever tool was out of reach. Then he discovered the monkey could be taught to run the Bazooka While taping is part of the 2 year Interior Systems Mechanic trade certification; apparently it is covered in about 3 weeks. It took me about 5 years to get a good handle on the trade, but my boss said since that he trains his apprentices up a lot faster now. So I suppose a 3 week overview would have been helpful.
    Plumb and Level are the framer's perogative ...I can give you flat and straight... www.lightrocktaping.com

Thanks

I fell into this job by accident. I wanted to be a joiner/cabinet maker when I left school.
    Working with painters I got handed a pole and was asked to sand down walls and ceilings, it was real donkey work and similar to how Lightrock got started. One thing led to another, I got a go on the tools and I paid for a taping course with British Gypsum at Erith in the suburbs of SE London, came home bought a second hand kit and just went for it. It took a few years working with squads of other tapers to get half decent at it and I started working for myself in 1996. There's been a few ups and downs since then but I feel it was a fine career choice, I get job satisfaction from it and the pay isn't bad either.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Senile Old Bastard the_tapeinator's Avatar
    Thanks

Default well done

I thought you were kidding???? congrats to lightrock, just watch they dont send you a pink ladies tshirt mate
    Jesus loves you........ everyone else thinks you're an arsehole.

Thanks

Default Shirt arrives to wild acclaim

Got my shirt today in the morning mail. i think it may be the classiest shirt that I own. This sets a very high standard for company shirts when I get to that.
    Thanks!
    Plumb and Level are the framer's perogative ...I can give you flat and straight... www.lightrocktaping.com

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightrock For This Useful Post:

admin (30-06-2009)

Thread Information