Thread: Sealing drywall - who is responsible the dryliner, taper or painter

Thanks

Default Sealing drywall - who is responsible the dryliner, taper or painter

Had some interesting meetings recently with some painting contractors, and no-one seems to know who is meant to seal the board, and what they use, The decorators use a mist coat of cheap emulsion, the tapers use ?? and the dry-liner uses ???, just wanted to know in your experience if the dryliner charges for putting a sealer on in his rates, or does he leave this for the finishing trades, and what is generally used. we sell & use a simple sealer which is acrylic styrene based (not PVA), seals and uniforms the porosity and to be honest a monkey could apply it, you simply wet the entire surface by brush, roller, spray even mop, it soaks in, is transparent and it does the job it says it does, costs work out at 6p per m2, yep 6p, who would i be better aiming this at. The paint distributors wont touch it cos it cuts down paint sales, they love nothing better than a painter using tons of emulsion to soak into a wall, but with this product once the sealer is applied a mist coat plus one would be sufficient to offer a great finish, as the topcoats do not simply soak in. Your advice would be gratefully appreciated.
    cheers
    Rob
    www.pristinecoatings.co.uk

Thanks

If its my job and my decision, then I seal or prime the plasterboard myself. Why should I leave the work and lose money to painters that would use pissed up emulsion? Mist coat - missed coat, same thing isnt it?
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Getting the hang of this Goodmanatee's Avatar
    Thanks

I havn't had to seal anything for ages. It's the tapers job to do it. Don't really like doing it, so would prefer the painters to do it.
    When sealing usually use a standard sealer from GB, Lafarge etc.
    Think we get 10p m2 for sealing.

Thanks

I always try to get my customers to have me seal the boards after sanding. I feel that the job isn't finished otherwise and always cut in as well. I normally use Lafarge Universal Sealer which costs me about 16p + Vat a m2. It covers well and then only needs two good coats of emulsion to finish. Why would you use a transparent sealer that then needs to be fully decorated? I normally charge between 75p and a pound a metre, depending on who it's for. If someone offered me 10p a metre, they'd be doing it themselves.

Thanks

I have never been asked by a customer to seal plasterboard, they always get the painter to do it with, as you say, p*ssed up emulsion. However, reading amestaper's post ,I might be tempted to start! Times are tough so why let someone else make money from it, and I am a painter to trade after all. Might go and invest in a pair of overalls now......

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    I always try to get my customers to have me seal the boards after sanding. I feel that the job isn't finished otherwise and always cut in as well. I normally use Lafarge Universal Sealer which costs me about 16p + Vat a m2. It covers well and then only needs two good coats of emulsion to finish. Why would you use a transparent sealer that then needs to be fully decorated? I normally charge between 75p and a pound a metre, depending on who it's for. If someone offered me 10p a metre, they'd be doing it themselves.
    me too 10p what the hell is that about, there is one quite large taping company in london that charges 3.50pm2 for the taping and then 1.25 for sealing it. so that increases the job quite significantly. The transparency doesnt matter as subsequent coats sit on top rather than soak in so you could get away with one topcoat however its usually a mist coat plus one full topcoat, and when i say a mistcoat i mean a mistcoat. also if you are getting paid for sealing it and there is a decorator following you, thats all you need to do is seal it, colour isnt the issue. especially if you are only getting paid 75p. you can even wipe our sealer on with a cloth, so things like cutting in are not an issue, its something that you know a labourer without any skill could do for you on site without being able to mess it up, if its wet its sealed.

Thanks

I thought 10p m2 wasn't to bad (they supply the sealer). Adds an extra 20 or 30 quid on a room. How wrong I was!

Thanks

I know guys that charge + 1.50 a metre inc materials but they wouldnt thank me for giving their names out here. Theres bigger price fluctuations from different geographical areas than I expected to hear in this thread.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Goodmanatee View Post
    I thought 10p m2 wasn't to bad (they supply the sealer). Adds an extra 20 or 30 quid on a room. How wrong I was!
    yeah but each room would have to be 300m2 to make 30, Christ how many hours would it take you to make the 30.00, believe me 1.00m2 is ok, as Ames was saying 1.50 including materials is possible. There was a large job in Ireland recently and i mean big +20'000m2 that they were paying 1.30pm2 for applying a coat of Primer surfacer which is obviously different to a sealer, but its still a good rate when you consider two lads working from a Mark V could spray a thousand metres a day between them. Material costs would be about 0.65pm2 for a surfacer

Thanks

Maybe I was wrong then. On 2 counts. I'll shut up now.

Thread Information