• 2.50+ beads

2 6.67%
  • 2.00+ beads

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Construction Rates........ youre having a laugh

Thanks

I would price the work from the volume, i would not expect to get the same rates for a single private house as i would for 20,000m2 thats just common sense.
    www.dryliningfinisher.co.uk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crack filler View Post
    oh dear really trying to avoid ringing him but might have to just to keep the pennies coming in, it will feel like I,m selling my soul.
    Chippy is paying 2 mate. F**k MJS

Thanks

hi guys well here in kent most of the drylining/plastering companies are only paying around the 1.60 mark on house bashing & thats supply & fix!! so not good around here at the moment & I cant see it getting any better for quite some time if ever!

I'm currently working on the olympic park in london & getting 1.80 labour only & its paper tape only, no sticky scrim there! oh & thats including drywall primer too!...lol
    Its got us through the winter with non stop work though so its not all bad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ducatster View Post
    hi guys well here in kent most of the drylining/plastering companies are only paying around the 1.60 mark on house bashing & thats supply & fix!! so not good around here at the moment & I cant see it getting any better for quite some time if ever!

I'm currently working on the olympic park in london & getting 1.80 labour only & its paper tape only, no sticky scrim there! oh & thats including drywall primer too!...lol
    Its got us through the winter with non stop work though so its not all bad
    I see there are adverts 2-3 times a week on Gumtree for tapers at the Olympic site. I suppose if you machine tape and there were lots of metres available you could do ok. I bet H&S costs you a few metres a week though.

Thanks

hi tony yup you know your stuff alright machine jointing is the only way but you'd be supprised the amount of people having a go by hand though & it cant be easy when the ceilings are 2.6 high & the only thing your aloud to stand on is a 600 by 600 hopup or a stupid 600 by 600 podium tower on wheels that you have to have the brakes on & gate closed so you wouldnt get very far without having to move & there's no tower surfing with your mate pushing you along either!...haha

Season Ticket Holder scottishlad2k10's Avatar
    Thanks

hi tony yup you know your stuff alright machine jointing is the only way but you'd be supprised the amount of people having a go by hand though & it cant be easy when the ceilings are 2.6 high & the only thing your aloud to stand on is a 600 by 600 hopup or a stupid 600 by 600 podium tower on wheels that you have to have the brakes on & gate closed so you wouldnt get very far without having to move & there's no tower surfing with your mate pushing you along either!...haha
    thats why you buy stilts =] you get away with wearing them so the h&s officer told us anyway?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scottishlad2k10 View Post
    thats why you buy stilts =] you get away with wearing them so the h&s officer told us anyway?
    I have stilts & have used them for years when using scrim & filler which is what I prefer doing as you can work on less area but honestly mate you wouldnt even get em in the gate!..haha
    only things you can stand on is the 2 things I've just mentioned , the latest thing is no proper stanley knives for fixers just retractable ones from toys R us but to get around this the company I'm subin for has just brought some nice expensive kevlar gloves to wear which are useless as they are slippery!...lol...by the way bovis are running the whole site so it should filter down to house bashing shortly!!

Thanks

Some site agents will try and tell you that the HSE banned stilts, but this is not true. It is up to the main contractor. If they don't want stilts, you can't use them. I did a job for Interserve a few yrs back and it is their company policy not to allow contractors to use those aluminium hop ups. How crazy is that?

Thanks

I have stilts & have used them for years when using scrim & filler which is what I prefer doing as you can work on less area but honestly mate you wouldnt even get em in the gate!..haha
    only things you can stand on is the 2 things I've just mentioned , the latest thing is no proper stanley knives for fixers just retractable ones from toys R us but to get around this the company I'm subin for has just brought some nice expensive kevlar gloves to wear which are useless as they are slippery!...lol...by the way bovis are running the whole site so it should filter down to house bashing shortly!!

that sucks lol never tried a banjo? it would be spoton for your paper tapes?

Thanks

when I started this job 25 years ago you had to make your own hop up out of a 6ft scaffold board & a few leingths of 4 be 1 & no body I know has ever done them self an injury on one but the problems all came when they banned those & made you use a short ally one so that you are constantly over stretching & most are not made for every day use so fall apart pretty easy, I bet the accident rate has shot up since wooden ones were banned & now they are seen to be dangerous!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    Some site agents will try and tell you that the HSE banned stilts, but this is not true. It is up to the main contractor. If they don't want stilts, you can't use them. I did a job for Interserve a few yrs back and it is their company policy not to allow contractors to use those aluminium hop ups. How crazy is that?
    h&s are going totally mental like. you still see contractors here using wooden scaffolds lol i always use my promix filler tubs as they are far easier to move around than stepladder. also use 2 or more and put battons on top for a platform =] but then i work for a smallish building company who never see h&s so lifes good not any real accidents other than a joiner fell off the scaffolding and landed on the ledger and broke his wrist last week but the guys stupid.

Thanks

when I started this job 25 years ago you had to make your own hop up out of a 6ft scaffold board & a few leingths of 4 be 1 & no body I know has ever done them self an injury on one but the problems all came when they banned those & made you use a short ally one so that you are constantly over stretching & most are not made for every day use so fall apart pretty easy, I bet the accident rate has shot up since wooden ones were banned & now they are seen to be dangerous!!

well yeah as i said there the joiner fell off the scaffold from 8ft up and landed on the ledger. the most solid cross piece on the scaffold that the boards sit on. if his handhadnt went to his forehead as he fell his head would have been burst open hardhat fell off in midair...... if it had been wooden he would have landed on grass and peat soft landing lol

Thanks

that sucks lol never tried a banjo? it would be spoton for your paper tapes?
    a banjo would be no use unless you were 7 ft tall the bazooka (or auto taper) is the only way , we use a long handled broad knife on a 3ft length of 2" waste pipe to bed the tapes in then 7" box the next day

Thanks

a banjo would be no use unless you were 7 ft tall the bazooka (or auto taper) is the only way , we use a long handled broad knife on a 3ft length of 2" waste pipe to bed the tapes in then 7" box the next day
    i just thought when i seen in an erlier comment that people tried hand taping the papers. suppose on the flats if they had the speed taper and the bucket belt they could but that seems like alot of work looks well messy anyway

Thanks

actually there is one guy with that better than ever bucket system & it works really well but you cant use it from floor level but if you were allowad to wear stilts it would be the next best thing & its not that messy well compared to the bazooker its pretty clean because some of the long ceiling joints im doing are about 12 meters long & by the time I get to cut the tape it sounds like its raining inside!

Thanks

lol sounds like fun! banjo would be good with stilts aswell. as you can do corners with some of them aswell =]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    I've had this conversation (argument) with loads of foreman, when they see you get the stilts out the van straight away they say they're banned, i spoke to a health and safety inspector on one job i was on and he confirmed that stilts and step ladders aren't actually banned as long as you have them in your risk assessment and method statement. It's all just down to these idiots that are scared of their own shadow and just put everything down to health and safety to cover their arses! They just seem determined to make work a misery and as hard as possible, job im on at the minute make you wear gloves, hat, glasses, hi vis the works!! nightmare!!
    I think a big problem on the bigger sites is that the main contractors are all just management companies these days and just work from bits of paper, half of them havent actually worked on a site just come straight from uni!! They just sub everything out at shit prices and dont actually employ their own skilled labour.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mik mpd View Post
    I've had this conversation (argument) with loads of foreman, when they see you get the stilts out the van straight away they say they're banned, i spoke to a health and safety inspector on one job i was on and he confirmed that stilts and step ladders aren't actually banned as long as you have them in your risk assessment and method statement. It's all just down to these idiots that are scared of their own shadow and just put everything down to health and safety to cover their arses! They just seem determined to make work a misery and as hard as possible, job im on at the minute make you wear gloves, hat, glasses, hi vis the works!! nightmare!!
    I think a big problem on the bigger sites is that the main contractors are all just management companies these days and just work from bits of paper, half of them havent actually worked on a site just come straight from uni!! They just sub everything out at shit prices and dont actually employ their own skilled labour.
    ah i remember that when i was with a painting company hard hats on all the time gloves........ hi viz jackets steely boots the lot you cant work in that gear in the summer its just far too hot! however it was funny pouring the blue chalk from the chalk line into boys hard hats then them wearing them swetting buckets and the chalk runnin down their faces.

H&S is taking it too far next we`ll all need sky hooks. haha

glad i dont do big jobs like that anymore its all more time consuming than using the filler tubs and battons as small scaffolds =]

Thread Information