Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who hates sanding

Thanks

Default Who hates sanding

We all hate sanding but it has to be done.
    What % of your rate or house price would you give up for someone to do it.
    Would you take as much time and effort leaving a nice tidy job if you were not sanding it youself ?. Or would you just rush the job and leave it to the "guy that sands".

Thanks

10% is the going rate around these parts as long as its done properly.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

yea 10%

i would still leave tidy taping job no matter what,or who sanding it,

its your name thats on the hoiuse no matter who sands

anyway i dont mind sanding myself, unless off course its pole sanding,

i cant believe all those years that i did pole sanding and didnt complain, then again we didnt have power sanders then ,

Thanks

I leave 10% when on house-bashing, and always leave it neat in case I need to sand it myself with the idiot stick

Season Ticket Holder scottishlad2k10's Avatar
    Thanks

homers ......... i do it my self at work......... we have labourers who do it for us same with mixing batches and cleaning stuff etc

Thanks

I think that i have never not sanded my own work.

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

i would not let anyone sand my work,as i think it is the most important part of jointing.plus i dont mind doing it anyway.

Getting the hang of this Goodmanatee's Avatar
    Thanks

Always sand your own work. Rubbish sanding by someone can mess up the work.
    Flex sander, good Hoover, good pole sander, sanding sponge, IPod. Can't go wrong!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Goodmanatee View Post
    Always sand your own work. Rubbish sanding by someone can mess up the work.
    well said m8

Thanks

I have and always will sand my own work, need to be sure its done properly.

Thanks

I used to hate sanding until I bought my porter cable.

Porter cable, Full face respirator, in-ear earphones and some good powermetal, time passes very quickly.

Still hates finishing touch-up tho... Damn it's boring.

One thing that is quite bizzare is I'm always wondering why I am so alone suddenly when I get my 7800 on the job? lol (no vacuum) It's such a big mess sometimes, working trough extention cords, ducts, electrician stuff, plumber's stuff, garbage etc. For once, i can take revenge on all those guys lol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ProbeGT View Post
    I used to hate sanding until I bought my porter cable.

Porter cable, Full face respirator, in-ear earphones and some good powermetal, time passes very quickly.

Still hates finishing touch-up tho... Damn it's boring.

One thing that is quite bizzare is I'm always wondering why I am so alone suddenly when I get my 7800 on the job? lol (no vacuum) It's such a big mess sometimes, working trough extention cords, ducts, electrician stuff, plumber's stuff, garbage etc. For once, i can take revenge on all those guys lol.

i got as far as "full face resperator" and was like "wtf????" lol why dont u have a vaccume you maniac? i got a fox one 112 on ebay its good plug the sander into the top of it 240v and you have an option 1 or 2 on it and push 2 and when you start up the sander the vac comes on switch it off and the vac switches of 10 secs later =] racket of the sander and the vac at the same time makes people dissapear headphones or earplugs :P

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Woodworking-Wo...item2eb3766fca

now 114 free postage =]

Thanks

when u dont sand ur own work u are giving work away,in the current climate it just does not make any sense to give work away.
    a lot of people tend to forget about the sanding when they boast about how fast they are or how many metres they can do in a week.would you let someone you did not know12"box your work for a %of the price and you are still held accountable for the standard of the work?

Thanks

who needs a 12" box pfffft dont have one dont need one hawk and float....... bog standard no modifications :P

3 fair sized rooms in two days....... 2 fastset 1 finish..... 20 mins each sanding......2 days and 1 hour........ easy who needs to get people sanding for them? unless the jobs taking too long and needs pushed on so the company can get payments?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scottishlad2k10 View Post
    i got as far as "full face resperator" and was like "wtf????" lol why dont u have a vaccume you maniac? i got a fox one 112 on ebay its good plug the sander into the top of it 240v and you have an option 1 or 2 on it and push 2 and when you start up the sander the vac comes on switch it off and the vac switches of 10 secs later =] racket of the sander and the vac at the same time makes people dissapear headphones or earplugs :P

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Woodworking-Wo...item2eb3766fca

now 114 free postage =]
    I removed the vaccum tube on the head of my porter cable. It makes the head more flexible and more stable on ceilings. With the tube on I found that it always pushes on the top of the head. Since I use norton back-up pad i don't need to push on the sander to sand so if the head is not perfectly flat, i'd be scoring the joints.

Thanks

I removed the vaccum tube on the head of my porter cable. It makes the head more flexible and more stable on ceilings. With the tube on I found that it always pushes on the top of the head. Since I use norton back-up pad i don't need to push on the sander to sand so if the head is not perfectly flat, i'd be scoring the joints.
    awh sounds like fun man lol

Thanks

it is. Actually with the norton pad and glued on the sander instead of that stupid screw it works like a charm. My sanding is nicer than someone with a pole and 150grit paper.

You gotta keep some swiffers near to wipe the respirator's window but you boss defenetly can't say you're not working! lol

Thanks

lol wouldnt know about a pole as it got ditched many months ago for the cheapy ebay sander that still works but i upgraded to a flex =]

and about the boss working lol it would be like a snow storm :L no white suits on so you blend in with everything? lol

Thanks

you bought the flex WST700 or the porter cable's copy?

I want to buy the flex or the festool to try it out here and maybe introduce it to our drywall tool supplier but it's very hard to import. Yesterday i bought a cheap chinese copy of the festool just to now how would be the feel of having the motor on the head. It's in the shipping and I should receive it this week or monday.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-2011-Pro-Adj...item1e61675b69

The flex seems like the real deal but then, it's hard to find reviews about the flex and the festool. I'll give a try at the vaccum but i'm not sure. Another damn thing in my legs but if i can get rid of the respirator, it might be worth.

Thanks

you bought the flex WST700 or the porter cable's copy?

I want to buy the flex or the festool to try it out here and maybe introduce it to our drywall tool supplier but it's very hard to import. Yesterday i bought a cheap chinese copy of the festool just to now how would be the feel of having the motor on the head. It's in the shipping and I should receive it this week or monday.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-2011-Pro-Adj...item1e61675b69

The flex seems like the real deal but then, it's hard to find reviews about the flex and the festool. I'll give a try at the vaccum but i'm not sure. Another damn thing in my legs but if i can get rid of the respirator, it might be worth.
    yeah i got the flex wst 700 vv vario plus telescopic sander on ebay while crusing it for a new drywall sander came across it as "ex display" paid 550 for it half the price of a brand new one its a bargain only had a few minor surface scratches @ 550 couldnt complain =] great machine a little on the heavy side but its not too bad. only thing is the triangular head it vibrates the machine like mad started with the 120 gritt paper but its no use.... was leaving edges and it wasnt doing good so started ordering 80 gritt and it does the job =]

Thread Information