Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who hates sanding

Thanks

great! Have you tried a festool? how would you compare both?

Season Ticket Holder scottishlad2k10's Avatar
    Thanks

ive never tried festool and never seen one being used..... half the guys here are still pole sanders id never go back to sanding whole rooms with a pole no way! swetting like a tropper killing yourself with a pole....... thats part of the stoneage now lol.

they say that festool is quite heavy though? and the motors mounted on the head? would be hard going with the weight of the motor and the spinning of the machine? id think so anyway am sure plenty of guys on here have them or have tried them?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ProbeGT View Post
    I removed the vaccum tube on the head of my porter cable. It makes the head more flexible and more stable on ceilings. With the tube on I found that it always pushes on the top of the head. Since I use norton back-up pad i don't need to push on the sander to sand so if the head is not perfectly flat, i'd be scoring the joints.

forgot to say............ this is one way of well and truely trashing your machine!! the dust getting sucked in the air vents on your sander........... bad move lol

Thanks

Yeah, i know. But I prefer to do a great job and changes some brushes and bearings.

BTW, i opened my dead porter cable and it's the output shaft bearing that died. That surprised me, i would have tought the motor's bearing would have died 1st. I must say I'm amazed how tough this thing is. 4 years in very heavy dust. I'll probably repair it because i want a spare sander in case my chinese one is crap.

Thanks

Yeah, i know. But I prefer to do a great job and changes some brushes and bearings.

BTW, i opened my dead porter cable and it's the output shaft bearing that died. That surprised me, i would have tought the motor's bearing would have died 1st. I must say I'm amazed how tough this thing is. 4 years in very heavy dust. I'll probably repair it because i want a spare sander in case my chinese one is crap.
    my first sander was one of ebay 60 i think and i thought it wouldnt last lasted 4 months and the drive shaft was playin up so pulled it out and put it in backwards and it works fine keepin it asa spare incase my flex breaks down it would be so hearbreaking having to go back to pole sanding while waiting on repairs lol think that would be enough to bring a tear to a glass eye lol. duno what your chinese one will be like but mine from ebay was made in china and was value for money @ 60 paid for its self =]

whered you buy yours?

Thanks

I bought it from ebay, paid 430$ for it (about 250 pounds) with the vacuum cleaner. It's actually a copy of the festool one. I bought it because i wanted to try another design. If I like it i'll repair my porter cable and keep it as a spare. If i don't, then this one will be the spare model.

Thanks

I bought it from ebay, paid 430$ for it (about 250 pounds) with the vacuum cleaner. It's actually a copy of the festool one. I bought it because i wanted to try another design. If I like it i'll repair my porter cable and keep it as a spare. If i don't, then this one will be the spare model.

ah i see how much was postage? cant imagine it to have been cheap?

Thanks

It was free shipping, the reseller is in canada.

Thanks

It was free shipping, the reseller is in canada.
    thats no so bad then. u in the uk? i was looking at american drywall sanders before i got the flex but i was gna get import taxes & fees and the ups delivery charges and everything under the sun came to about 550 with fees and that just for postage so it wasnt worth it. seen another on ebay "blue" something or something blue from canada looks good but even that had all the taxes and crap. cant win like.

Thanks

I'm from canada. That why i bought this one. I wanted to give a try at a flex or a festool but i can't make one ship here. Found 1 reseller in france who could ship it but they are 220V models and price for a festool is 3000USD with shipping and taxes.

This huge sale tax you got, it kills all your exportations.

Thanks

I'm from canada. That why i bought this one. I wanted to give a try at a flex or a festool but i can't make one ship here. Found 1 reseller in france who could ship it but they are 220V models and price for a festool is 3000USD with shipping and taxes.

This huge sale tax you got, it kills all your exportations.
    trust me the tax increase from 17.5% to 20% is also killing everything and everyone in the uk. even though it didnt seem like much 2.5% increase but it hurts the bank. the other day i had to buy a new plastic hawk and i got one in the same place last year and it was alot cheaper...... expencive shop it was 16 last year now 26 they put the prices even higher cause of importing them.

Thanks

damn. Sale taxes here are the highest of all North America (5% federal and 8,5% provincial). income tax is also quite high, around 30 to 50% depending on income.

But I can't complain i know life in UK costs a lot of money compared to North America. But you guys got Top Gear TV show!

ohh and High prices from UPS are all around the world. UPS must mean U Pay a S**T

Thanks

oh you dont get top gear? its a great program :P they are nuts! especially turning cars & 4x4`s into boats to cross from england to france via shipping lanes lol! im sure you could get it online? on one of the uk channels?

and yeah ups & fedex are expencive but then again shipping & postage in the uk is pretty expencive anyway but importing & customs etc like to charge even more.

i used to buy hyde taping knives etc from a uk site but they went bust now they are hard to get in the uk. emailed hyde company in usa and they said postage would be too much with customs charges etc.

Thanks

yes we do get Top Gear on BBC Canada but always 2 seasons late. And they cut the programming to include adds in it... The cross from england to france was a big laugh but my biggest laugh was the motorhome build challenge. Damn I can't beleive they let Jeremy drive that citroen...

Thanks

yes we do get Top Gear on BBC Canada but always 2 seasons late. And they cut the programming to include adds in it... The cross from england to france was a big laugh but my biggest laugh was the motorhome build challenge. Damn I can't beleive they let Jeremy drive that citroen...

yeah its a laugh! cant believe they get to drive the amount of cars they do even bentleys and alot more expencive must pay HIGH insurance

Thanks

Well, i received my sander today. After 2 days of manual sanding, now that all my jobs are done it finally arrived!

Quality seems better than expected. Once assembled it's pretty solid. Direct drive motor seems powerfull even if it revs less than the porter cable. Biggest complain is the weight. When fully assembled, the weight is big and the fact that the motor is on the head will probably be annoying. The sander is taller than the porter cable when fully assembled and shorter when no extention is used (that might be a problem for 8' ceilings) Since the motor is on the head, it tends to pull the top of the head on ceilings. I will have to double check to make sure it's always pefectly flat so i don't score my flats.

Vaccum is a carbon copy of the porter cable. Quality seems good too. Only drawback is the handle for flooring wich is 1 curved plastic piece. Also it doesn't seem to turn ON and OFF automatically when the sander is plugged in but this is not really a problem.

Brushes are soft and easy to push compared to the porter cable. I'll give a better feedback once i'll have tried it.

Thanks

dosnt matter if its heavy get your self down the gym and workout on the weights :L

what you mean by the on/of automatically when sander is plugged in?

my fox hoover has a socket on it and 2 switches one to turn all power on/off on the right and another switch on the left with a "i" and "ii" one being just for hoover use two "ii" being for use with the sander

when i plug into the hoover & switch on the sander on "ii" setting the sander starts up and so does the hoover........ when i switch the sander off the hoover keeps going for 20 - 30 secs just to suck the rest of the crap out of the sander.

is this what your meaning? 240v port on your sander???
    Vaccum is a carbon copy of the porter cable. Quality seems good too. Only drawback is the handle for flooring wich is 1 curved plastic piece. Also it doesn't seem to turn ON and OFF automatically when the sander is plugged in but this is not really a problem.

Thanks

yes that is what i meant. and no it's not 240Volts it's 110V 60Hz

Thanks

10percent is about right agree it is best to sand your own work but if got a decent run ahead why waste time and energy get a sander/labourer out and run through their work half hour befor you finish your shift..

Thanks

Well, I finally tried my new sander today.

On ceilings it works pretty well. All the dust get sucked up by the vacuum. I must say it's quite better to sand without the respirator. The wrong side now is that it whobles like hell on walls. I had this problem on my porter cable when I removed the brush ring. I'll try to fix that because it's unusable on walls for now unless you push hard on the sander to stop it whabling. I made my own hose with an extension cord attached to it so i have 30 feet of freedom around the vacuum. Yes the weight is more on the head but it doesn't seem as bad as I tought. But it only tried it for a few minutes. Tomorrow is the big day.

Thread Information