Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who hates sanding

Season Ticket Holder scottishlad2k10's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ProbeGT View Post
    Well, I finally tried my new sander today.

On ceilings it works pretty well. All the dust get sucked up by the vacuum. I must say it's quite better to sand without the respirator. The wrong side now is that it whobles like hell on walls. I had this problem on my porter cable when I removed the brush ring. I'll try to fix that because it's unusable on walls for now unless you push hard on the sander to stop it whabling. I made my own hose with an extension cord attached to it so i have 30 feet of freedom around the vacuum. Yes the weight is more on the head but it doesn't seem as bad as I tought. But it only tried it for a few minutes. Tomorrow is the big day.
    whabling???

its probably caused by the speed the machines running at + the weight of the head as the motor is mounted there slow the machine down and try it on the walls?

Thanks

it does that at all speeds.

Thanks

Well I did remove the original foam and glue a norton back-up pad on it. Then i've put some washers under the brush ring to raise it flush to the norton pad.

Success. The sander now works pretty good. Weight is not really a problem because the sander is shorter and hands positioning makes it balanced. With the vac, i must say it's quite nice. It sucks almost all the dust except when i'm doing beads or surfaces that doesn't cover 100% of the sander's head. But still, no need for the full face respirator anymore and I can see a lot better where i'm sanding wich means less touch-ups after the big sanding is done. After 10-15 minutes the vac does suck about half of capacity but then it stays like that until it's full. I'm pretty sure all vacs would do the same and all filters will eventually get clogged. When fully assembled it's great to make ceilings but it's hard on high walls to keep it from whabbling. It's still a little harsh to start it upside down but it can be done.

Main problem now is that it scores my mud a little. But this is a new batch of machine mud that seems to be a lot softer so i don,t know if it's the sander or the mud. Sander does use 100% of the sand paper's surface, it's very stable on the walls and ceiling and even tho it's turning slower than the porter cable, it sands more, specially on the screws.

Well, after all, not bad for a 440$ cnd taxes and shipping included. Now it's all about how long it will last.

Thanks

Hi - Kiwi jointer in Uk last 7 yrs. Trained 15 yrs ago using only a hand sander to sand all walls & ceilings, which took almost a day on a large house with a sweep out at the end. Only once saw an electric sander being used which back then left circular score marks. Saw one chap from Thailand using a pole sander which we thought was odd but effective. Fast 4wd to 04 when I bought a Flex and wow why did I wait so long to get one? :-)
    The main problem was that with my hoover attached it would severely reduce the speed revs on my sander so ditched it in preference of speed and less need to press hard on the head with the downside being the huge dust storm. I know of only 1 other taper who perseveres with a hoover with all others using without. I'm thinking that in NZ you can and do use the hoovers due to the prevalence of 240 volts on commercial & residential hence more power to the Flex & hoover.

Thanks

I always found after sanding a house and sayin ca-ching money always helps lol however i a flex with hoover but never use the hoover anymore yes you do come out looking like a ghost but it does seem alot quicker to move around with it and not mess around untwisted the hoover-sander pipe all i need now is 1 of the 190 sander poles and all will be good as it gets abit sore on the finger tips with sponges =)

Thread Information