Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fibatape v papertape

Thanks

totally agree the trade is a joke these days no one willing to pay a decent rate for a high quality finish just want it done yesterday and for smallest price possible

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tiring taper For This Useful Post:

amestaper (27-09-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tiring taper View Post
    totally agree the trade is a joke these days no one willing to pay a decent rate for a high quality finish just want it done yesterday and for smallest price possible
    That's been the case for the last 4 or 5 years, in fact maybe we had it so good for years and this is the norm now? Just a thought. Welcome to the site by the way.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

Paper tape 100%, mesh tape just doesn't bond as well as paper tape and can crack a lot easier. I use a super taper and find the fill I get on corners and flats/butts makes coating much smoother and I usually coat flats in 2 coats and just run my tube & flusher on angles one time with nice full corners and flats are full with no shrinkage. I've also been told mesh tape breaks down especially when sunlight hits the walls but that's only hearsay. Also a clean taping crew will have clean walls if they know how to tape properly and stilts are a must.

Thanks

The question isn't what people prefer it is what is better. Paper tape is better period. If you are going to use mesh .. It should only be used on the flats. I've fixed hundreds of cracked butts with fiba tape. You rarely see paper tape crack except in the top inside corners... If wood moves it will move whether you tape it with ultra flex or durabond. Under regular conditions in a new home build... Paper is the best. Actually most people I work with in Toronto would fire you if they saw you putting mesh. Mesh is good however for fixing miscue pot lights and cracks on old plaster lathe cause it's very flat and and you don't have to feather it 4 feet wide to make it look flat

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

PAPER TAPE IS KING but in an ideal world most tapers in the U.K. have to use what is given to them, specifications what specifications! Here is mostly get it done as soon as possible or I will get it done by someone else. We dont run in gangs over here mostly in ones or twos, until a big job or bigger than normal job comes along them you are mostly thrown together with another small gang. The problem comes from management not having a clue what the job is about, but you funding their mercades and Bmw's. They need education from the specifier's throughout the chain of command. Belmore is one of the Few that are working on this. I hope more work as hard to get whats right and whats wrong sorted. ALAN

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ALROH57 For This Useful Post:

Beermonster (05-08-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ALROH57 View Post
    PAPER TAPE IS KING but in an ideal world most tapers in the U.K. have to use what is given to them, specifications what specifications! Here is mostly get it done as soon as possible or I will get it done by someone else. We dont run in gangs over here mostly in ones or twos, until a big job or bigger than normal job comes along them you are mostly thrown together with another small gang. The problem comes from management not having a clue what the job is about, but you funding their mercades and Bmw's. They need education from the specifier's throughout the chain of command. Belmore is one of the Few that are working on this. I hope more work as hard to get whats right and whats wrong sorted. ALAN
    Sounds like you guys have I a little rougher up there in the uk ... I'm in ontario and we order what we want. A quality finish up here is very important. Speed kit as much unless you are in a subdivision and then you are union and a production guy .. Doesn't cut it for a custom house however... I'm a hand taper since I was a kid....people around here appreciate that cause all the production guys are machine and messy

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ALROH57 View Post
    Yae paper all the way here!
    I am lucky as I use whatever I want material wise!
    Went 2 price a job the other day and the owner asked if he could supply the materials! My answer was NO! Gyproc is sh*t!

Thread Information