Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossers

Thanks

Default Crossers

Do you guys think when boarding a house the joiners should use full sheets of plasterboard and cut out doorways and windows to minimise the joints and pointless patches and stop stress cracks on the weak parts of a door frame . It's not saving money as it will cost more for remidial work. Sheets of rock are cheap anyway it's just an excuse to be rough in my opinion.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum Brett. I board in favour of the taper, mainly because I'm normally taping it too. I also try and board to avoid wires coming through on joints.

Season Ticket Holder scottishlad2k10's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brett R View Post
    Do you guys think when boarding a house the joiners should use full sheets of plasterboard and cut out doorways and windows to minimise the joints and pointless patches and stop stress cracks on the weak parts of a door frame . It's not saving money as it will cost more for remidial work. Sheets of rock are cheap anyway it's just an excuse to be rough in my opinion.
    i used to think they should use full sheets on doors etc too but thats far too expencive to cut a chunk off a full sheet just to make the tapers happy. its far easier for them and quicker and cheaper just to use cuts a nightmare for us guys but id rather the ar**holes concentrated on driving there screws home and removing the ones that miss the stud =]

Thanks

I find that I can usually use up the waste on reveals and smaller details. I generally supply the board as well and would rather have a bit more waste, and always allow 10% which is plenty.

Thanks

Some contractors I work for cut all their doors and windows out. By 'some contractors', I mean the good ones I love to work for but I wouldnt expect to ever see it on a site where everyones on pricework.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

i get the same on some jobs but the price ones are just unreal....... slapped on and out the door dirty crotch rockin cowboys aha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amestaper View Post
    Some contractors I work for cut all their doors and windows out. By 'some contractors', I mean the good ones I love to work for but I wouldnt expect to ever see it on a site where everyones on pricework.
    Whooooaaaaa there! I am Persimmons worst critic but I've noticed on their sites in the past year or so that joiners are cutting out windows/ doors etc. Easier for me cos I always double coated butt joins/ crossers and door heads with fast set now I'm straight in there with the 10box. Its a better finish with a tapered edge above the window/door. Persimmons may be sh*te at every thing else but they obviously ask the joiners to do this now. Result!

Thanks

I stand corrected.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

The last 2 sites i've been on have used full sheets. Just noticed the time differnce in taping a house when it;s put together in peices. To Tony M i've been a boarder for many years but since moving to scotland it seems the joiners are all over it. So are all the jobs you do, are all the internal partionions installed or do you do that. Just cause i would like to board and tape makes the job more intresting.

Thanks

The last 2 sites i've been on have used full sheets. Just noticed the time differnce in taping a house when it;s put together in peices. To Tony M i've been a boarder for many years but since moving to scotland it seems the joiners are all over it. So are all the jobs you do, are all the internal partionions installed or do you do that. Just cause i would like to board and tape makes the job more intresting.

whats with the sheets they use in america and austraila there f***ing massive! seen a vid someone posted of the guy doin coving in australia and there was hardly any joints on the wall boards......

Thanks

Yeah they are big in australia they are 6m which is i think 20 ft you need three of ya to put the ceilings up or a sheet lifter the walls you can manage with two. In canada i'm sure the biggest is 14ft so that's like 4.2m i think rough guess. Anyway i would say the reason for larger sheets is to minimise cross joins on the wall cause the sheets are usually stacked horizontal instead of vertical.

Thanks

Yeah they are big in australia they are 6m which is i think 20 ft you need three of ya to put the ceilings up or a sheet lifter the walls you can manage with two. In canada i'm sure the biggest is 14ft so that's like 4.2m i think rough guess. Anyway i would say the reason for larger sheets is to minimise cross joins on the wall cause the sheets are usually stacked horizontal instead of vertical.

ah i see would imagine them to be incredibly hard to manouver and work with as there probably pretty fragile.

Thanks

I don't do the framing, just board & tape, and put in the odd noggin if necessary. I can do studwork but don't price for it as the chippies do it .

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

a noggin,we call them dwangs up here!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_legend View Post
    a noggin,we call them dwangs up here!!!
    we sure do call them dwangs english joiner started with us a few months back and one of the joiners said "fancy puttin the dwangs in" and the english dude was scratching his head lol "oh u mean noggings mate" :L aha

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scottishlad2k10 View Post
    we sure do call them dwangs english joiner started with us a few months back and one of the joiners said "fancy puttin the dwangs in" and the english dude was scratching his head lol "oh u mean noggings mate" :L aha
    same as me whan we worked for an english mob doing a tech centre in hamilton..

Thanks

same as me whan we worked for an english mob doing a tech centre in hamilton..
    lol got to learn somehow

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

dwang!!what a f****in stupid name i wonder who the fkuc came up with that name and what they were thinking or smoking;@noggin is just a bad,,suppose its quicker than saying that bit of wood in the middle..

Thanks

dwang!!what a f****in stupid name i wonder who the fkuc came up with that name and what they were thinking or smoking;@noggin is just a bad,,suppose its quicker than saying that bit of wood in the middle..

lol aye its just quicker =] could call it a cross stud i suppose?

Thanks

yes they should ,ideally u should have 1 tapered edge in the middle area of the header ,not 2 square meets tapered joints above each leg of doorway, they know full well when sheeting thats what is supposed to happen,they shoiuld never start at door edges with tapereded egde either.i have pointed this out on loads of jobs but they dont care,just try n fix it is the normal reply

Thread Information