Thread: The best mud

Thanks

Default The best mud

What is the best mud that you have ever used, what do you use now?

My top 3

Lafarge Rapid coat ultralightweight beige. That thing when it came out was simply amazing. it was like applying chocolate ice cream on the wall. It simply wouldn't shrink at all, no fisheyes, not even tiny ones. Drying time was superfast. it was very light and the feel was like whipped cream. The only drawback it had was that it was very easy to score when sanding so we were sanding our jobs with 3M 220grit paper. Also it would thicken fast on the final coat, you had to remix your bucket 1 or 2 times. With that mud, i could apply 1st coat on beads and barely sand them like that, the finish was very slim and still nice once dry so 2nd coat was very easy and no 3rd coat required. 2 years later the company changed the recipe because too much tapers were whining because it was drying too fast, it was too hard to push, too easy to score and it was too expensive so the company made a cheaper and crappy version now. Sad thing is they paid big price for our Quebec's patent of Seltech *or siltech i don't remember* mud (wich they bought to make 1st generation of rapid coat)

after this i started to use Georgia pacific yellow box midweight. Same finish as the Lafarge but heavier, a little harder to sand and more liquid. But i could still achieve great results with minimum sanding (was hand sanding in these times) Then they changed the recipe too... now it make a lot of fish eyes and shrink like hell.

Today we use CGC Machine Mud wich is not a bad compound but far from those great mud I used to use. I doesn't shrink a lot and fisheyes are very little. But the biggest problem is when it dries, it gets very rough and it's harder to sand the the 2 others. With the eletric sander it's no more a big problem.

I lived the fact that companies can make GREAT muds but don,t want to make them because they are too expensive.

For us, tapers who time = money, and to whom we wouldn't care to pay 2-3$ more per box but save 2-3 hours per job, please someone make one of those great mud again!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ProbeGT For This Useful Post:

amestaper (16-03-2011)

Season Ticket Holder belmoreboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Do you like the USG Mud?
    The Uk's No 1 Drylining & Plastering Tool Store
    01603 787464
    http://www.belmoretools.co.uk
    Skype - Facebook - Twitter - Blogger = belmoretools

Check Out http://www.SheetrockDirect.com Buy Sheetrock Products Online !

Thanks

We don't have it. In canada it's is sister company CGC.

Yeah I like it (machine mud, don't compare to Light compound in red box or green box wich is pure POS) but i like it because there's nothing better. As I wrote in my 1st post, I've worked with mud that were a lot better than that, but dropped by companies because of the price.

Also it depends from where shop it comes from. The mud made from montreal is different from the one made in ontario even tho it's the same box, same name etc. This thing also happens for the boards. CGC boards from montreal are REALLY big crap. The paper tends to lift on the board joints, the recess is like a roller coaster, the board is very soft so most of the flat joints are broken... The one made in ontario is top notch. But try to make the representative understand this... They just don,t care.

Certainteed has good boards but mud is crap.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ProbeGT For This Useful Post:

belmoreboy (26-04-2011)

Thanks

wow, you think machine mud is hard to sand

cgc is a sister company of usg, and cgc sucks

try the pro roc mud

Thanks

Machine mud is not hard to sand, it's harder than the 2 other muds I wrote about.

Pro-roc rep. approched me when they developped their mud 2-3 years ago. I tried the yellow box for taping. Yes, it does the job and has a lot of adhesive but as I told the rep : "We're having a hard time to just ask our kind of mud to contrators, don't even think they will start ordering 2 different muds!" Have been right because i've never seen the yellow box on a site yet.

As for the blue box, when they developed it their target was to produce the same thing as CGC's machine mud. Actually at some point, it was even slightly better. Then again, I told the rep that if they wanted to sell mud, they had to produce something better than the machine mud or else nobody would change for the same thing. At least it was good and the rep paid me a few lunch to talk about product development.

A year passed and i was on a big codominium tower. CGC had a hard time to produce a decent machine mud (was very liquid and made a lot of fish eyes) so i convinced the contrator to order Pro-Roc blue box. He ordered a palette and when we tried it, it wasn't even the same thing that i had tested a year before. Liquid, fish eyes, shrink etc... Called the rep to come and speak about this, he never showed up or returned my calls... So that was my story with Pro-roc, didn't retry it yet.

It's very hard to have a good specialized mud. All the companies try to produce exactly the same thing. I still dream the day Lafarge will retry the seltech's recipe. God it was brilliant.

It's like CGC's 024 montreal gypsum board. It's been 4 years we tell them it's pure crap, too soft, too un-equal, board paper detach from butt joints. They just don't care because it's cheap, and they are everywhere. The 066 boards from ontario are perfect and it's a charm to work on with flat boxes

Thread Information