Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plasterers are rough and crap!

Season Ticket Holder scottishlad2k10's Avatar
    Thanks

Default plasterers are rough and crap!

just painted a whole house ( bit like a grand designs thing ) for a doctor well flashy and most of its stupid........ round walls millions of angles kooms etc..... unfortunately it was plastered........ and i reckon the guy plastering it must have been plastered too!

walls and ceilings although it was angles and half rounds and circles they were a bloody nightmare!! not the first plasterd house ive done but........ the plaster was well of...... it was like wobbly and crap when you look along a straight wall... and its just plaster straight on top of boards had to snagg more aless all the guys work. would have made a better job taping it i reckon even though it would be a job and a half.....

isnt plaster supposed to be like a polished finished surface with minor defects? is it supposed to be lookin wobbly and crap??

even rolling the surfaces was a nightmare with the wobbles as you rolled over youd have to turn the roller to many angles to get it coverd

anyone else had this?

Honorary Forum First Aid Guy
    Thanks

Why do I agree with this post, mostly cos it's true.
    Several jobs I've been on that have been skimmed, have been as ruff's a badgers "arris", the "spread" must of been, drunk, blind, and had both arms in plaster casts.

There are good spreads out there though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
    Why do I agree with this post, mostly cos it's true.
    Several jobs I've been on that have been skimmed, have been as ruff's a badgers "arris", the "spread" must of been, drunk, blind, and had both arms in plaster casts.

There are good spreads out there though.

ah am tellin ya man and these steel beads are crap! the curves on every corner they are on and you can see it a mile away sun came out yday and today and you could see every defect! would have thought it was laughing plaster the guy was using and the kooms are unreal!! wish i had a sprayer for painting it looks sh

why do people plaster? especially timber frame houses? the plasters cracking already........ its adding tons of weight to ceilings and walls...... and the building...... plus the labour must be over the moon......

screws and everything popping crap joints id never do it........ taping is far quicker and cost effective compaired to skimming a house with a 1 coat plaster obviously its now going to adhere to the plasterboard.......... isnt that why they used to use bonding? then a finish?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to scottishlad2k10 For This Useful Post:

thestraightstory (24-02-2015)

Thanks

Unfortunately theres bad tradesmen in every industry... and I cant agree entirely with your comment cos I know 2 or 3 excellent spreads that would never leave a finish like that.

Did you address all the snags with the client after you first coated otherwise you may have missed the chance for some decent dayworks?

Why not upload a few photos to the photobucket website and link to them?

And to even things up a bit, Ive also saw some real f**king howling taping.
    Last edited by amestaper; 20-04-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: seen plenty bad taping
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to amestaper For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amestaper View Post
    Unfortunately theres bad tradesmen in every industry... and I cant agree entirely with your comment cos I know 2 or 3 excellent spreads that would never leave a finish like that.

Did you address all the snags with the client after you first coated otherwise you may have missed the chance for some decent dayworks?

Why not upload a few photos to the photobucket website and link to them?

And to even things up a bit, Ive also saw some real f**king howling taping.
    to be honest im sick of the job one more day there and im off it....... the guy was snagging his own work..... with readymix filler..... slapped on "aero bar effect on a wall" paint the wall brown and youd swear it was a chocolate bar...... bits he snagged were tiny...... compaired to what was left

as for the pictures my good phone broke so stuck with a crappy one with a crap camera + all walls and ceilings are white & woodwork and the way the weather is here the now when the suns shining theres so many windows all you can make out from the picture is the oak flooring & slate tile..... which are splatterd in plaster.... guess who has to clean that before oiling the oak?

just annoying more than anything like reason plastering is a 5 year apprentiship is cause its baisically got to be perfect first time theres no sanding it like the taping thats why the taping apprentiships so short......... most of the work is in the sanding to get the aqquired finish can slap it on and sand it all back. but the plasters more of a smooth as /polished finish thats what spraying water on it is for

i dont know lol just going to avoid these plaster jobs from now on

Thanks

You have obviously never followed a good plasterer. A skimmed wall, done properly, is far superior in finish to a tape & jointed wall. The only down side to skimming as opposed to taping, is the likelyhood of cracking.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    You have obviously never followed a good plasterer. A skimmed wall, done properly, is far superior in finish to a tape & jointed wall. The only down side to skimming as opposed to taping, is the likelyhood of cracking.

well you could be right........ but plaster up in scotland and in timber frame houses...... just dosnt mix...... especially when you pay all that money to plasterboard a house...... then skim everything......... its alot of money & plaster starts coming away from the boards within a year or so...... even the good plasterer at work says that.

and everyone knows what the kithouses are like within the first year the settlement there is alot of good and bad things........

wet wall finish opposed to the drywall finish....... plaster = alot of moisture & takes a long time to do and to dry.......... so it stops the joiners getting on with say....... laying oak floors and so on where as taping its a couple of days nowhere near half the water

plus plaster you have to use a primer or pva mix...... or the paint wont take proper and itl all end up flaking off...... thats another material & labour cost

where as the taping you can just paint the walls and ceilings straight after no need for a pva solution or primer only place id reccomend using a universal primer or drywall primer would be wet areas (bathrooms/shower rooms/utility rooms)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to scottishlad2k10 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yes we get it all the time. Its seems almost impossible to get good plasterers, although we know there are good ones out there.

Thanks

yeah it seems that way....... its just horrible working on rough plaster its like painting a stone wall...... with a roller

weve done about 3 or 4 houses done by diffrent plasterers and its all the same roughly done

Thanks

Just finished painting a new church and the plastering there was terrible and the main contractor paid us to put it right instead of getting the plasteres to do it. They said the plasteres would only mess it up again!!

Thanks

ah they would probably mess it up..... on our job the plasterer was supposed to snag everything with finish filler after we coated...... he was skimming parts that were alright and other parts were like aero bars...... cut a wispa or aero bar in half and itl look like his snagging and the lazy git didnt even sand it......

what is happening to plasterers these days? the quality of their work is poor yet the boss says nothing....... then he could notice one tiny bit of crap on the painted wall and all hell would let loose yet the plasterers work being a mess and nothings said?

Thanks

Your so right, the slightest blemish and we are snagged yet the plasterer got away with everything. Thats why I am looking at taking on the Taping and jointing on dry lined projects as they have been just as bad. I know the workmanship can be put down to rubbish rates, but Im going to have a look at it.

Thanks

i just dont get why they still plaster buildings anyway.........
    cracks appear all over timberframe houses
    you spend all that money buying plasterboard thats going to be all skimmed over...... which is alot of money even at 4 or 5 a board
    its more of an english thing dont see much of it in scotland (here anyway)
    it never lasts a few years later it pops away from the plasterboard especially in houses that are 1 1/2 - 2 story houses as movement upstairs
    its wet & takes a while to dry....... which holds other trades back wether it be joiners for example (couldnt lay an oak floor untill it was 100% cured and dried where as taping is nowhere near as wet drys quick and taping is alot quicker to do.......

and i reckon it would cost alot more for the whole house to get plasterd opposed to taped........ labour and materials would cost more? well i reckon it would? do you know any better about plastering first??

Thanks

I have a large new build project to put coving up in which is timber framed and has been skimmed in the last fortnight. The project architects are part of a group that I do a lot of drylining work for. I went there yesterday and coved upstairs. Already, there are cracks in most corners and the plastering detail up against large timber beams etc is less than impressive. If I had done the work, I would have used stop beads etc., which would have meant a nice clean finish along all wall and ceiling junctions to the joinery, and no cracking. Instead, there are cracks everywhere; something that a bit of caulk won't really rectify. All I will say is that I wouldn't want the job of painting it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    I have a large new build project to put coving up in which is timber framed and has been skimmed in the last fortnight. The project architects are part of a group that I do a lot of drylining work for. I went there yesterday and coved upstairs. Already, there are cracks in most corners and the plastering detail up against large timber beams etc is less than impressive. If I had done the work, I would have used stop beads etc., which would have meant a nice clean finish along all wall and ceiling junctions to the joinery, and no cracking. Instead, there are cracks everywhere; something that a bit of caulk won't really rectify. All I will say is that I wouldn't want the job of painting it.

dosnt sound too good at all tony...... its a bit like the one i did the kooms were a bit like > ~~~~~~~ < that sort of shape no part of them was straight..... also dont get why people try plaster the ceilings and walls in the same day its just stupidity..... would be so much easier skimming the ceiling and giving it a day or two to dryout then when they skim the walls it would be less of a mission to get a straight line across the walls and ceiling where as playing with a wet ceiling and walls would be more difficult if you know what i mean?

also where wood is ........ if that wood hasnt been coated before its skimmed upto dosnt matter if its pine or oak. if any plaster or filler goes on it itl stain and look a mess its a shame when you see jobs with expencive wood and its stained by filler or plaster marks

Thanks

Generally, jointing compounds don't burn wood like skim does. I still mask off in places though. The ceilings don't need to be dry before doing the walls when plastering, just hard. The plastere would be moaning if he had to skim up to bone dry adjacent walls because the new gear would dry out too quickly once it touches it, making it harder to get a good line.

Thanks

It definitly cost more to plaster and it takes longer to dry. Taping is quicker as well and doesnt crack as easy

Thanks

Yes I agree, we did a job in Chichester, lovely Oak cills and all the edges were stained black with the plasterer, we had to rub it out as best we could

Thanks

A good plasterer will skim a boarded house quicker than it can be taped and sanded. Once he has skimmed a wall, it's finished. None of this going back to it 4 times to coat it again and again and sand it. On larger jobs where there are large areas to go at, taping will be faster. It will cost more but the finish will be better.

Thanks

seen that on a few jobs where the tapers hit the oak cills with filler stains it black and its a to get clean cant always get it off totally. which isnt right as oak is ching ching

if someone taped my house and stained my cills like that there would be hell on. cills should have a coat of varnish or oil way before the joiner puts them in. i think oiled oak is far nicer nicer feel to it aswell

do you think a plaster finish is nicer than a taped finish?

i think if a plaster finish and a taped finish are done perfectly then there isnt much of a diffrence other than plaster is harder..... but then you still have to coat the walls with pva solution to seal them after theyve been plasterd?

Thread Information