Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: plasterers are rough and crap!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scottishlad2k10 View Post
    seen that on a few jobs where the tapers hit the oak cills with filler stains it black and its a to get clean cant always get it off totally. which isnt right as oak is ching ching

if someone taped my house and stained my cills like that there would be hell on. cills should have a coat of varnish or oil way before the joiner puts them in. i think oiled oak is far nicer nicer feel to it aswell

do you think a plaster finish is nicer than a taped finish?

i think if a plaster finish and a taped finish are done perfectly then there isnt much of a diffrence other than plaster is harder..... but then you still have to coat the walls with pva solution to seal them after theyve been plasterd?

Who told you that? That's what a mist coat of emulsion is for.

The plaster finish is dead flat and uniform over the whole wall. The taped finish, unless finished to a level 5, will have a different texture on the joint to that on the paper.
    In my own house, it would be skim.

Season Ticket Holder scottishlad2k10's Avatar
    Thanks

according to the archutects.......& from experiance pva solution must be applied to seal the finished plaster before its primed and painted...... same with sticking covings to plasterd surfaces the pva provides a better bond as if you banged them up with just filler or adhesive and no pva within days to weeks the covings would be on the floor as ive also seen before.

the plaster finish is dead flat and uniform over the whole wall........ if you have a plasterer who is good at what he does and has pride in what he does. last job we done even the joiners had to smash bits of his plaster off to get the skirtings on and had to screw them the walls were that bad

i see what you mean about the diffrent texture...... where sanded with the drywall sander its dead smooth and the boards have the papery feel but you lose that when you paint it as the roller gives the orange peel effect?

Thanks

I hope the contractor pays me before the coving I put up yesterday falls down then.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    I hope the contractor pays me before the coving I put up yesterday falls down then.
    so do i....... seen it a few times do you screw or nail the coving?? just as you said "plasters smooth polished finish" so it really should have something for the filler or adhesive to stick to?

Thanks

so do i....... seen it a few times do you screw or nail the coving?? just as you said "plasters smooth polished finish" so it really should have something for the filler or adhesive to stick to?
    It's going nowhere.

Thanks

erm okay. so its just stuck to bare plaster?

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

I've never had any problem coving on skim either. The joint filler/cove adhesive sucks right into the skim and bonds solid. I always wet the skim around the coving line a little to give me a little more working time else the skim sends the gear off before you get a chance to clean it up!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prjwebb View Post
    I've never had any problem coving on skim either. The joint filler/cove adhesive sucks right into the skim and bonds solid. I always wet the skim around the coving line a little to give me a little more working time else the skim sends the gear off before you get a chance to clean it up!
    okay......... well we had to go fix a job a plasterer done last year....... the coving had fallen down just about every lenth within a matter of days of him doing it? what caused this? the adhesive he had used was all stuck to the coving none was where the coving was on the plasterd walls and ceiling? and he had chalk lined the ceiling and walls and put the adhesive along his line then put the coving to the filler ?

Thanks

okay......... well we had to go fix a job a plasterer done last year....... the coving had fallen down just about every lenth within a matter of days of him doing it? what caused this? the adhesive he had used was all stuck to the coving none was where the coving was on the plasterd walls and ceiling? and he had chalk lined the ceiling and walls and put the adhesive along his line then put the coving to the filler ?
    By the time he put the cove to the wall, the plaster would've sucked a fair bit of the moisture out of the adhesive making it go off already. The bedding of the cove into the outer layer of the adhesive would probably have disturbed the bond forming between the already setting layer of adhesive. I'm not surprised it fell down, that's a really cockeyed way of coving. i have gone over to using Easifill to fix cove on plaster as it doesn't suck in so quickly as proper cove adhesive, and it is also designed for coving and cornice products. I do put the odd nail in also if the ceiling or wall line undulates a bit, but generally you don't need to.

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

i have never had a problem with coving on skim.

Thanks

That makes sense Tony, good idea to use easifill.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by firstchoice View Post
    That makes sense Tony, good idea to use easifill.
    I get about 100 linear metres from a bag, but i'm not stingy with what I put on.

Thanks

another sad depressing day in my life.......fixing other peoples mess

i think its time that they invent a "coving apprentiship" thrown on another job today to re-do coving and touch up water damage and a couple of doors......... the house was plasterd and the coving had started coming away from the ceilings!! i dont think its just the walls and ceilings that are plasterd...... i think its the bd plasterers that are plasterd

fair enough if they take on plastering jobs and can leave a decent finish but then they seem to think "oh coving money" and the make a mess of it.

Thread Information