Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paper versus fiba

Season Ticket Holder scottishlad2k10's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Paper versus fiba

Quote Originally Posted by chris oz View Post
    in france we have 2 hour set mud 4 hour 6 hour 8 hour and gdx that takes 24 hours but is very fine so no sanding = 3 coats for fine work working with stilts and bazooka and mesh is illigal must use tape so how can you work for so little prices im staying this side of the pond
    PAPER TAPES ARE CRAP! TRUST ME........ for the last few months ive been doing an old house as a homer.......... after a number of years........ the paper tape boss`s from the plasterboard surface....... and tapes split and everything spent weeks pulling old tapes from flats to internals and even "externals" why the hell would anyone use paper tape to do externals? the job was a sickener!!

great having a bazooka....... few years down the line your works going to go like this and the clients will be like "COWBOY COWBOY" then word spreads about you and you lose alot of work..........

FIBRE TAPE........ the glue on it over a period of time bonds and dries to the plasterboard meaning its baisically part of the plasterboard and it should never crack...... fibre tape is the future

*** Comments were moved from http://www.tapingandjointing.com/for...p/355-How-fast
    Last edited by amestaper; 24-04-2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: hijacked thread

Thanks

scottishlad because we give 10 year garantie decennale we are dictated by insurance companies of the correct products to use
    my company has been in buisness for 28 years never had problems with taping. the mesh is more for when you baord- finish with plasterers ,that is not reccommended here because of the heat 30 - 40 c in the summertime but good luck with your fibre tape

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scottishlad2k10 View Post
    PAPER TAPES ARE CRAP! TRUST ME........ for the last few months ive been doing an old house as a homer.......... after a number of years........ the paper tape boss`s from the plasterboard surface....... and tapes split and everything spent weeks pulling old tapes from flats to internals and even "externals" why the hell would anyone use paper tape to do externals? the job was a sickener!!

great having a bazooka....... few years down the line your works going to go like this and the clients will be like "COWBOY COWBOY" then word spreads about you and you lose alot of work..........

FIBRE TAPE........ the glue on it over a period of time bonds and dries to the plasterboard meaning its baisically part of the plasterboard and it should never crack...... fibre tape is the future
    Scottishkid - you have no idea what you are talking about. Paper tape, if applied correctly gives a far stronger and superior finish to mesh tape. The majority of UK tapers, me included, use mesh because the process is generally faster than having to wait for paper tapes to dry before overcoating. Why do you think projects like the Olympic village, MOD establishments, and many other larger concerns, insist on the use of paper tape? Because it is better. Why do you think the Americans, who invented drywall taping, nearly all use paper tape? Because it's better. You're a painter who is just venturing into the world of drywall taping because you think there is more money to be made. Please don't try to piss on my boots and tell me it's raining.

Getting the hang of this Goodmanatee's Avatar
    Thanks

I have to agree with tony. Paper is better in the long run but with our climate and time restrictions placed on us. Fiba is what we use for flat joints.

Thanks

why the hell would anyone use paper tape to do externals?
    heh been on a job 2 weeks ago Some mongol taped externals wi paper tape so i had to rip that of and re taped wi corner tape

Thanks

goodmanatee do you guarantee your work 10 years with the client and architect, with the fibre tape here it is imposible. so i have never ever used it .
    tape is a must.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Goodmanatee View Post
    I have to agree with tony. Paper is better in the long run but with our climate and time restrictions placed on us. Fiba is what we use for flat joints.
    Me too. Paper tape ,when used correctly, does give a superior finish and does give a greater resistance to cracking than fiba tape. But as it takes soooooo long for the mud to dry, you wont see it on sites here except for internals. Time is money for the housing companies as well as us so its fiba all the way now

Thanks

well if paper tapes stronger im surprised........ why else would all the tapes on the last house i done have split cracked and bossed? the guy said it was approx 8 years ago that the place had been taped? all the flats had been done with paper tape...........

suppose now that papers stronger they can make boats out of paper instead of fibreglass

Thanks

mesh tape vs. paper tape I have to say that the specifications are almost irrelevant. You could tear paper tape with your fingers........you couldn;t do it with a good mesh tape. The bond it holds to the board is almost irrelevant. Paper tape will "pop", or under extreme stress might even tear right down the middle. Mesh tape would never do either of those. So, as for which tape is stronger........mesh

i reckon its only people with bazookas & banjos that use and stand by paper tapes for flats........ as they cant use mesh with their bazookas and youd never see anyone hand applying paper tape to walls and ceilings......

if there was a tool out there that would stick on fibre tape and coat it at the same time i think it would be a diffrent story but thatl never happen........ or could it?

Thanks

I'm sorry Scottishlad but agree with Tony on this one even though I'm a hand jointer and use scrim. I think if there was a poll you would find 90% on here use scrim but believe paper is better, maybe you have been unlucky enough ( or lucky enough) to see some bad taping.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crack filler View Post
    I'm sorry Scottishlad but agree with Tony on this one even though I'm a hand jointer and use scrim. I think if there was a poll you would find 90% on here use scrim but believe paper is better, maybe you have been unlucky enough ( or lucky enough) to see some bad taping.

well thats your and these guys oppinions but even the 3 guys who taught me to tape swear by the fibre tape theyve been at it 20 odd years and they are now in the late 50`s and still taping. they say its far stronger aswell as quicker and easier. ( quicker you get it done quicker you make the money) but that dosnt mean its done roughly.

as for the "unlucky enough to witness bad taping" trust me ive seen far too much bad taping...... must have pulled every tape of 2 houses so far this year...... and many more in past years thats why i dont believe in paper tapes......... especially when retards are forming external corners with paper tapes....... and these clowns who use the plastic koom tape to form externals and kooms...... the stuff is crap...... slight tap and the stuff just pops and boses

im sure its not only me on here whos had the crap job of removing old tapes and having a mission retaping old plasterboard??

Thanks

I think scottishlad the reason why the tapes are not adhesing to the plaster board is because it's put on with regular topping compound example prolite bg stuff. I know it say's to use on all stages beddinbg and finishing. But i'm from canada and when i was learning you paper taped flats and internals but had two differnt types of mud or gear . There was taping mud which had a sort of glue or pva in it of some sort. Then you use finishing mud that is like the pro lite bg stuff for finishing coats. Fair enough i've been in scotland for 4 years now and only use fiba tape and British Gypsum fast set and velvet. But even though never had a complaint or call back i still wonder about the internal tapes and how long will they stick to the plasterboard using topping compound instead of taping compound.

Thanks

well i cant have an oppinion on here or on this as tony said "im only a painter venturing into the taping because i think there is money in it"

but at the same time ive been a painter for 6 years...... and in the early days of that i was also taught hand taping which i reckon alot of apprentice painters would have been taught some will do it some wont........as for the money....... there is money to be made in every trade... i liked the idea of being a painter and taper.... not because of money but because its two things i can do? i like a variety...... id rather be able to do diffrent stuff maybe one day...... taping a room then the next applying covings and decorative finishings...... if it was painting walls ceilings and skirtings everyday thats just dull........

in this day and age tony...... you may have your 20 odd years experiance as a taper... you also ventured into the covings?

no-one in the building trade does just one job not with smaller companys anyway..... joiners do joinery they do slating and tiling,plasterboarding even seen some doing blockwork and roughcasting..... they only have one true trade but pick up alot over the years which keeps them in a job? just because they didnt go to college and do it dosnt mean they dont have the knowledge you pick that up all the time from people who do these trades

so i have 6 years experiance in both trades even though i dont have a ticket that says "AMES TAPER" i dont need one........ "IM A PAINTER" and since alot of painters do taping..... as i was told by construction skills theres no reason youd need a ticket for taping.......unless its big jobs with massive companys that need to see it.

as a painter i also know the finish that is required with the taping for a proper decent paint finish......

well brett for some old houses weve had no choice but to use "prolite finish" to stick internal tapes........ main reason for this is that it was painted plasterboard that the client couldnt afford to have replaced even though we adviced that theyd be better to re board the walls and ceilings...... and if you stuck them in place with fast set the fast set would just go boss and the internal tapes would just fall off within amatter of time or even when you sanded it. where as i personally find that "prolite" has a much better adhesion to the painted surfaces (of emulsion anyway)

we done a relatives house like this about 3 or 4 years ago been back a few time re decorating it as they seem to change colours every year and the tapes are still fine no splitting cracking or bossing.

Thanks

I didn't mean that prolite isn't sufficient i use it to on internals and finishing coats. I've just pondered the thought if it would adhere for say 20 years or more. Was only trying to put some thought into the house you worked on that had bad tapes. None of the suppliers around here have taping or bedding cement that works in the bazooka that i know of so i do the same as you.

Thanks

oh yeah this threads on how fast, average house will always take between 4 to 5 days to coat up then 2/3 to full day to sand check out and clean up.

Getting the hang of this Captain perfect's Avatar
    Thanks

I have just paper taped & thin coat beaded [ over 300 m ] a rather large timber frame self build.

15 man days. nearly 1600 M of plaster board.

No rush as the clients are prepared to pay for a decent snag free finnish.
    Milk No Sugar.

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

mesh tape vs. paper tape I have to say that the specifications are almost irrelevant. You could tear paper tape with your fingers........you couldn;t do it with a good mesh tape. The bond it holds to the board is almost irrelevant. Paper tape will "pop", or under extreme stress might even tear right down the middle. Mesh tape would never do either of those. So, as for which tape is stronger........mesh

i reckon its only people with bazookas & banjos that use and stand by paper tapes for flats........ as they cant use mesh with their bazookas and youd never see anyone hand applying paper tape to walls and ceilings......

if there was a tool out there that would stick on fibre tape and coat it at the same time i think it would be a diffrent story but thatl never happen........ or could it?
    i do agree with you.i use both methods,and i do like mesh.i work for a builder and he will not let me use paper,because he had very good tapers work for him years ago and all paper tapes have failed.all i can say very good argument.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jase hag For This Useful Post:

scottishlad2k10 (23-04-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jase hag View Post
    i do agree with you.i use both methods,and i do like mesh.i work for a builder and he will not let me use paper,because he had very good tapers work for him years ago and all paper tapes have failed.all i can say very good argument.

see thats what i mean jase...... i only have my 6 years experiance..... guys on here have 20 years + experiance and they swear by the paper tape........ id never paper tape flats.......

usg claim they tested the strenths of paper tape and fibre tape....... and that under extream pressures the fibre tape would streatch........

what the fk is meant by that? someone standing in the loft above on the plasterboard? how the hell did they test it thats what i had to email usg and ask.....

if fibre tape would stretch then paper tape would just burst...... they also didnt state what products/whos products they had tested....... which plays a big roll as you get cheap crap tapes and then you get good quality tapes...... like paper tape comes in diffrent grades.........

yet that they dont mention anything about the paper tape just the fibre.... which i find quite funny...... baisically i reckon if enough weight was on top of plasterboard.... like a person........ the board would split at the nails or screws???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brett R View Post
    I didn't mean that prolite isn't sufficient i use it to on internals and finishing coats. I've just pondered the thought if it would adhere for say 20 years or more. Was only trying to put some thought into the house you worked on that had bad tapes. None of the suppliers around here have taping or bedding cement that works in the bazooka that i know of so i do the same as you.
    ive seen a guy bedding a paper tape into the bevels on the boards with prolite finish....... when the finish dried out the tape cracked even before it was sanded you could see the crack in it.

guys on here swear by paper tape ( its the best or whatever ) yet that most of them use fibre tape which i dont quite get.......

supposidly paper tape provides a better finish.......... how can it be a better finish? there is bevels in the boards so its not hard to finish with fibre tape :S plus paper tape streches when it gets wet...... which would make it a nightmare to use..... creases bubbles and what not........

fibre tape .......... easier and far quicker to apply easy to skim over........ cant see the fibre tape when its finished :S

what makes paper tape so much better to finish with when it all gets skimmed over? LOL

Getting the hang of this Goodmanatee's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't how long the company I sub for guarantee work for. I agree fiba will crack on timber frame builds. Most doorheads and above windows. I agree with crack filler, in this climate ( not at the moment because it's roasting) paper takes so much longer to dry and slower that fiba to put up. But been doing this a long time and never had any call backs from fiba tape.
    Last edited by Goodmanatee; 23-04-2011 at 09:29 PM.

Thread Information