Thread: heres one for you lads

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

Default heres one for you lads

Why not plaster over plasterboard then tape and joint it im having a heated debate
    at work on plastering over board and not tape and jointing it
    as im a plasterers/tape and jointer im siting on the fence at the mo
    but id love too have my say ???
    so whats your comment on the taping and jointing of board and not plastering them
    I for one think taping and jointing is better any day

Thanks

Well i'm a taper and I think skim has a better finish than taping. Taping is fine for commercial jobs that are being ripped out every few years, but on housing it's too soft, and before someone chirps up about level 5, i've yet to see that as good as skim either.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    Well i'm a taper and I think skim has a better finish than taping. Taping is fine for commercial jobs that are being ripped out every few years, but on housing it's too soft, and before someone chirps up about level 5, i've yet to see that as good as skim either.
    Back to the "depends who is doing it" debate, paper v scrim on timber frame, what kind of abuse it will receive. I have just fitted some cove on a job thats been plastered and with "critical light" you can see every sweep of the trowel (something that would be sanded out with a sprayed finish such as alltek or a good tape and joint). Skim would be better on all a wall with a lot of abuse, but how often would the abuse be strong enough to dent board but not skim ? For me always the best looking finish (t & J, level 5 sandable finish) rather than that little bit more strength.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    got to agree with you, think all new builds must show signs of cracking/movement/knocks etc after a year or so,whereas with plastering its much better...... doubt any new builds get plastered now tho, thank god cos theres hardly any work for the tapers as it is!

Thread Information