Thread: tape and fill vs skim coat plaster

Thanks

Default tape and fill vs skim coat plaster

hi all i got into a debate with my mates yesterday and was looking for some ames taping guys to help clear it up.

if money and time were no object and assuming that both the ames taper and plasterer are very good at what they do then what is the best finish on gyproc sheeted walls and ceilings, plaster all over or taped and filled joints. assume that the walls will be painted by a very good painter.

i suggested that all plasterers would say that the plaster finish is best but i was told that obviously they would say that wouldnt they. so im asking for taping guys to get an honest opinion. please be honest

Thanks

Do you have money on the outcome? This question has been asked many times.

If money/time was no object it was my own house. I would build brick walls rather than sheeted walls and they would be plastered only for the reason it takes a knock better. Both finishes have the good and bad points so hopefully this kind of reluctantly half answers your question.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amestaper View Post
    Do you have money on the outcome? This question has been asked many times.

If money/time was no object it was my own house. I would build brick walls rather than sheeted walls and they would be plastered only for the reason it takes a knock better. Both finishes have the good and bad points so hopefully this kind of reluctantly half answers your question.

i think i might get a pint out of it

i agree that i would use brick walls if money and time were no object but the argument was on plasterboard only.

Thanks

There are too many other factors such as just giving a paying customer what they pay for and drying times, dust, speed, price, durability etc that could make a client change their spec either way. Both trades compliment each other and the guys who do both to a high standard are rarely out of work.

You didnt mention otherwise, but taping durability can also be toughened up with a spray coat of prospray and tuffhide that sets hard as nails, so I would choose this over a plaster finish on a plasterboard partition because its also easier to decorate.

... but I could also be biased with my answers so perhaps the question you should be asking is - would a painter prefer to decorate a taped or plaster finish?

I'm pretty certain thats where you'll find your answer to this 70 year old question.
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

im not knocking the taped and filled system. it is a good system but overall i think plaster finish is better, I am a painter

Thanks

I heard 2 painters say the exact opposite of what you did on Monday. Seems its a simple matter of whether or not they've ever spent days filling up bad plaster or taping before they can even begin painting.

Just pulling the splinters out my arse from sitting on the fence....

Thanks

I have to agree with amestaper ,plaster, if it's my house ,for all the same reasons.

Thanks

Still a good question and surprised you didn't get more folks voicing their thoughts. For me- bottom line is the tradesman (plasterer or taper) and a.) the quality of their finishing, and b.) have they been fairly paid for their skills.
    If you're hiring a skilled man you can't expect to pay half of what he wants and still get the quality.
    Although in saying that, some guys charge a mint and still deliver a mediocre finish, perhaps this is because they are so out of practice in providing a fine finish that they don't know how to of can't do it anymore.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thestraightstory View Post
    Still a good question and surprised you didn't get more folks voicing their thoughts. For me- bottom line is the tradesman (plasterer or taper) and a.) the quality of their finishing, and b.) have they been fairly paid for their skills.
    If you're hiring a skilled man you can't expect to pay half of what he wants and still get the quality.
    Although in saying that, some guys charge a mint and still deliver a mediocre finish, perhaps this is because they are so out of practice in providing a fine finish that they don't know how to of can't do it anymore.
    I agree it depends on the tradesman, iv'e been doing both for 20 years and would say the finish is equal if done to a proper standard. Personally i would skim all walls as its tougher against knocks etc and joint ceilings as there's less chance of cracking, everyones a winner Happy Days!

Thanks

I am not in the building trade, but from a tech background, so I am a quick learner. This thread is somewhat on topic, so I hope you will not mind me hijacking it.

I am trying to do some writing for a US website and keen to get some clarity on some US vs UK terminology and practices - please excuse some very basic questions.

I am in N Ireland. I rarely see residential or commercial internal plasterboard walls without a full plaster skim. This thread would suggest that both skimmed and taped are common in GB.

Is is one of these finishes much more common than the other.

Plasterboard vs Drywall. Again in NI I never hear the term Drywall used. Is it in any way in common use in GB?

Maybe someone in NI will come back and tell me I am wrong about NI.

It would appear that in US drywall and taping is by far the most common finish. They seem to use 1/2 to 3/4" board. Any I have seen in NI is probably 3/8 (10mm) + plaster.

What are most common thicknesses in GB?

I know Joiners fit stud work
    Is plasterboard fitting usually a separate trade?
    From looking at this forum Tapers seem to be a separate trade
    What trade applies the light skim over joints and does sanding - assuming a full plaster skim is not being applied.

Thanks Colin

Thanks

the person that applies a light skim 2 or 3 coats would in general be called a taper jointer,, ya tapers would be a seperate trade here, the term drywall is more a u,s canada term we would use a few term's from drylining to dot/n/dab and slabbing and a few more to describe it here,,

Thread Information