Thread: They just don't get it! (long winded rant)

Thanks

Default They just don't get it! (long winded rant)

The company i currently sub to has the son of the boss as a so called supervisor, now to my understanding it is their job to make sure the house/flat whatever is complete and ready for taping, the last house I taped had been waiting for the front door reveals to be boarded 3-4 days before I went in to tape, it was boarded as I was finishing the final coat! now above mentioned son says "can you drop back and tape the doorway,and also that other plot!" (front door not boarded on other plot either) my answer was...yes, if you pay me daywork as i'm on price and it should have been ready!
    A little argument ensued with me trying to explain that to tape it with the rest of the house takes no time at all, to go back after the plot is finished takes time and i don't work for free, i wont lose out because the plot isnt ready, he came out with we will have to deduct £20 then to cover the patchers time to tape it,which riled me even more
    My reply before i walked away was "measure it and deduct what it is worth, deduct anymore and i'll f**k off and work for someone else!
    Apparently i'm being awkward as it "will only take you 5mins to tape that"

Am I being awkward?
    "YOUR PRIUS JUST SAVED ALL THE PETROL MY MUSTANG USED!"

Honorary Forum First Aid Guy
    Thanks

In a word NO.
    You are quite correct, ask him why he is deducting £20 when "its only a 5 minute job" who the F earns £20 in 5 mins, get him to come with you while you tape one, and time how long it takes, times that by the number of coats, and then the time to sand down.
    Now if he can do all that in 5 mins, then that site only needs one taper.......Him

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Brian S For This Useful Post:

E.K Taper (25-08-2011)

Thanks

Oh the joys of site work. Or is it shite work? I forget.

Honorary Forum First Aid Guy
    Thanks

The latter is correct Tony

Thanks

Saleen this is all too common on s(h)ite work, I've had it hundreds o times. £10 off cos a pipe chase isnt ready. £40 off for the bay window etc etc its p*sh but what can ya do? If he wants to deduct £20 for the patchers then I'd tell him to get on with it cos you'll make that up no problem instead of going back for half a shift (cos thats what it'll be) to tape and 3 coat and sand

Thanks

Your only doing what the rest of us would do. I look forward to the day we can tell these firms to F**K OFF

Thanks

Like when when hangers say theyre finished screwing that piece of plasterboard that should have been done weeks before at 4pm, and say "There you go! Just hit it on the way out of the door" (Like they've done you a favour) ???

Best thing is just to be an ignorant SOB from the moment you set foot on site and take no sh!t. I personally don't mind the odd bit here and there at no extra charge, because life has to be a bit of give and take with people who extend you the same courtesy, but sometimes when you give people an inch they can take a mile.... so it happens again and again.

Let them deduct from your measure, you can make it up elsewhere.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

sounds like we both work for the same c#nt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amestaper View Post
    Like when when hangers say theyre finished screwing that piece of plasterboard that should have been done weeks before at 4pm, and say "There you go! Just hit it on the way out of the door" (Like they've done you a favour) ???

Best thing is just to be an ignorant SOB from the moment you set foot on site and take no sh!t. I personally don't mind the odd bit here and there at no extra charge, because life has to be a bit of give and take with people who extend you the same courtesy, but sometimes when you give people an inch they can take a mile.... so it happens again and again.

Let them deduct from your measure, you can make it up elsewhere.
    Agreed, let him take it off your count, If you don't finish it, it's no skin off your butt. But if he keeps managing a business the way he does, then it will cost him money.

Bottom line is your a contract/piece worker, but if he wants to treat you like a hourly employee, then he can pay you and BOSS you around like one

Getting the hang of this Goodmanatee's Avatar
    Thanks

The age old argument between subie and contractor.
    It's in with the price, got to take the rough with the smooth, will only take you 5 mins, blah,blah,blah!
    Happen to this week. Finished 21 units before the Borders could be bothered to come back to do the 2 bulkheads in each unit. They get a price for the bulkheads, mines in with the price. Brilliant! took me ages to do. Managed to claw back 1 days daywork for it. But made good money spraying sealer. So maybe you do have to take the rough with the smooth. I'm lucky I get alot of smooth so I don't mind the rough.

Season Ticket Holder scottishlad2k10's Avatar
    Thanks

the little sh*t should take into concideration of the drying times. yes it might take 5 mins to coat then you have to wait for it to dry to take another 5 mins to skim then dry then coat again maybe it is rougly 15 mins work but if youve got nothing to do between that couple of hours drying + night drying for finish its not worth doing what a muppet that guy is.

Thread Information