Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with columbia taper

Thanks

Default Need help with columbia taper

G'day Guys ,
    New here first post to be exact. But im after some help i bought the columbia bazooka tried
    to use it today. But i could not get the mud to feed on to the tape . Ive read the manual from front to back about a dozen times .
    Its brand new so i dont think the cable is broken because when i manually turn the gear the plunger rises .
    According to the manual it may be the release rod but they dont tell you where the release rod is or what it looks like . So thats a dead end

The only way i could get it to work was to run it along the floor on a sheet letting gravity feed the mud .
    Help please before i destroy a expensive tool in a fit of rage

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Welcome Snappy!
    Put it back 2 where u bought it!!!! No if u go onto columbia tools face book page and ask them about the problem they r a helpfull bunch and will sort u out!

Thanks

Hello Snappy, I hope you don't destroy your Taper before you get the message I sent you!!! It sounds like your Taper is not in gear, if the solutions I sent you aren't correct I will get you the solution one way or another.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ColumbiaTechSupport View Post
    Hello Snappy, I hope you don't destroy your Taper before you get the message I sent you!!! It sounds like your Taper is not in gear, if the solutions I sent you aren't correct I will get you the solution one way or another.
    U guys r on the ball

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Beermonster For This Useful Post:

ColumbiaTechSupport (26-08-2011)

Thanks

Here is the link to the Tool Demonstration Video we have, If you go to 2:45 the Taper is shown.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94pXS...eature=related

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

I own a columbia gun(Needs a service) I have watched all ur vids and was going 2 take it 2 bits but not got round 2 it yet!!
    I also have a 7 box, 8 fat boy which is 2 weeks old,10 fat boy,12 fat boy and a12 normal size! 2 columbia handles and 2x 3.5 finishers!!
    Got 2 say they r some of the best tools i have had
    I own lots more tools from dif makers but got 2 say ur tools r great

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Beermonster For This Useful Post:

ColumbiaTechSupport (26-08-2011)

Thanks

Go on Beermonster, you kiss his ass proper!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to E.K Taper For This Useful Post:

2buck (28-08-2011)

Thanks

Welcome to our wee forum, Snappy

Thanks

When looking at the back of the plate of the bazooka, to the bottom right there is a small pin/rod, it sorta looks like a match stick, for lighting smokes or fags if you guys actually call them that ?????

If that pin is sticking up after you fill the zookie, no mud will come out, push down on that pin, sometimes they stick, and always oil that pin.

If you don't understand, I will try to post you a pic

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ColumbiaTechSupport View Post
    Luckily some common sense got the better of me , My boys weren't helping either the bastards just kept laughing while the viens in my forehead kept getting bigger .
    But these tapers are around $3000 here . So as tempted as i was to use it as a hammer it was never ever really going to happen .

Im sure we will get to the bottom of it eventually , I tell you what i glad that your floating around to help out

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2buck View Post
    When looking at the back of the plate of the bazooka, to the bottom right there is a small pin/rod, it sorta looks like a match stick, for lighting smokes or fags if you guys actually call them that ?????

If that pin is sticking up after you fill the zookie, no mud will come out, push down on that pin, sometimes they stick, and always oil that pin.

If you don't understand, I will try to post you a pic

Yeah i know the bit you talking about , how far does it need to go down i pushing it down a far way till it makes the clutch bit pop out , But as soon as i spin the wheel the clucth just goes back in and match stick pops up again is it supposed to that .
    Also i can only manully prime about a 1/4 turn before the clutch pops back in. Mind you im playing with it now and it is empty

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beermonster View Post
    I own a columbia gun(Needs a service) I have watched all ur vids and was going 2 take it 2 bits but not got round 2 it yet!!
    I also have a 7 box, 8 fat boy which is 2 weeks old,10 fat boy,12 fat boy and a12 normal size! 2 columbia handles and 2x 3.5 finishers!!
    Got 2 say they r some of the best tools i have had
    I own lots more tools from dif makers but got 2 say ur tools r great
    Im yet to be convinced and not looking good so far . Im still not sure with the taper that could be me , But i very much doubt im using the pump wrong plus the finish is ordinary too . The colour is not consistent looks like it has stains in it or pigmented or somthing .All i know if it was my factory and i preeching quality and charging those dollars i would not let it out the door like that .
    Last edited by snappy; 27-08-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Thanks

Having a wee read through these comments and everyone else seems to have covered the troubleshooting about the pin being pressed down and the gears being engaged. I have a few suggestions that may or may not work, youre doing all the right things and the reason Im sharing this is that I had a brand new taper on hire a few years ago that was really stiff and didnt loosen up or break itself in for about a week.

You could try spraying oil inside the head and tube and leave a few hours.
    Leaving the tube overnight in a tub of water in case somethings seized up inside.
    And is the mud youre using thinner than you would box the flat tapes with?

Welcome to the site by the way. Where in Oz are you from?
    Last edited by amestaper; 27-08-2011 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Welcome
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

I tried 3 gauges all different consistency

Thanks

If it fills up OK from the pump, and you can empty the mud from the tube back into a tub manually by turning the drive dog then it's not the cable or control valve inside the head thats causing the problem. Are you fully releasing the handle outlet valve from the round push rod assembly that the creaser chain fits onto? If so, then my guess is the disengaging rod that 2buck mentioned, it should be shoved down as far as possible with the small disengaging cam in the bottom right hand corner of the cover plaste.

Otherwise, try the other 2 suggestions in my last post, if none work then ask for a rep to come out or a replacement.

PS. I didnt think we had any Columbia schematics, but we have. Have a look here;

http://www.tapingandjointing.com/for...p?do=cat&id=18
    Last edited by amestaper; 27-08-2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: oops
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amestaper View Post
    Are you fully releasing the handle outlet valve from the round push rod assembly that the creaser chain fits onto? If so, then my guess is the disengaging rod that 2buck mentioned

Is this that mude gate clutch thing that you talking about . I dont know im not sure what your saying . All i can tell you that im doing everything that mman in the video is doing or that the manual says

Thanks

If it fills up OK from the pump, and you can empty the mud from the tube back into a tub manually by turning the drive dog then it's not the cable or control valve inside the head thats causing the problem. Are you fully releasing the handle outlet valve from the round push rod assembly that the creaser chain fits onto? If so, then my guess is the disengaging rod that 2buck mentioned, it should be shoved down as far as possible with the small disengaging cam in the bottom right hand corner of the cover plaste.

Otherwise, try the other 2 suggestions in my last post, if none work then ask for a rep to come out or a replacement.

PS. I didnt think we had any Columbia schematics, but we have. Have a look here;

http://www.tapingandjointing.com/for...p?do=cat&id=18
    Whats the creaser chain , there is a chain that attactes to the dog drive thing you mentioned and the a chain for a cutter but thats it . Sorry mate checked out the schmatics there not going to help me at this point unless the parts comes with names otherwise im just looking pictures for items i have know idea of what they do or what they are.
    An as far as a rep goes i dont know of one within 1500 miles of me and to send it back to where i bought it would cost me $600 probly more

Thanks

Yup. On the video its called the mud gate lever at 2.51. Note that he doesnt push the rod down, the piece his thumb is on while releasing the gate. This sticks up when the piston inside the tube returns to the top when empty. My bazooka wont work properly until this is pushed back down.

The Columbia schematics only have part numbers, unlike the Tapetech ones that I used that have full part descriptions. Sorry mate, doing my best and have sent an SOS to Marcus at Belmore who sells Columbia tools.

If you've done it all then I can only suggest dunking it in water overnight to see if it loosens things up a bit. That worked for me with a similar problem on a Tapetech model.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snappy View Post
    Whats the creaser chain , there is a chain that attactes to the dog drive thing you mentioned and the a chain for a cutter but thats it . Sorry mate checked out the schmatics there not going to help me at this point unless the parts comes with names otherwise im just looking pictures for items i have know idea of what they do or what they are.
    An as far as a rep goes i dont know of one within 1500 miles of me and to send it back to where i bought it would cost me $600 probly more
    As you look at the head on the plate side with the columbia logo, the creaser chain runs up the right hand side from the thumb assembly at the bottom of the tube, around the push rod assembly and swings the creaser wheel up and down for internal corners when needed.

Meantime, leave it in water. Remember its the weekend so help will arrive eventually.

Made a mental note to ask Columbia TechSupport for some schematics with part names, numbers etc.

Thanks

Yup. On the video its called the mud gate lever at 2.51. Note that he doesnt push the rod down, the piece his thumb is on while releasing the gate. This sticks up when the piston inside the tube returns to the top when empty. My bazooka wont work properly until this is pushed back down.

The Columbia schematics only have part numbers, unlike the Tapetech ones that I used that have full part descriptions. Sorry mate, doing my best and have sent an SOS to Marcus at Belmore who sells Columbia tools.

If you've done it all then I can only suggest dunking it in water overnight to see if it loosens things up a bit. That worked for me with a similar problem on a Tapetech model.
    I am unsure if it was down when i tried to use it , ill have to try it next time . But the lever was defiently up the lever on mine goes up alot further then the one on the video though.
    If that makes any difference .

Thanks heaps for the help and i will try to loosen it up a bit it may make the difference .
    An by the way i live in geelong , Vic about a hour outside of Melbourne .
    Why have you been down under

Thread Information