Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Why the hell do people use steel plastering beads and caulk corners?????

  1. #1
    Season Ticket Holder scottishlad2k10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    548
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts

    Default Why the hell do people use steel plastering beads and caulk corners?????


    really starting to get on my nerves some of these jobs we get landed with "steel plastering beads" they are crap! for plastering. they cause many problems! nailed into timber studs that are dried to 12 or 15% moisture content that then get to the merchants and lay about in the pi**ing rain and soak up all that water.

    then get slapped into place and plasterboard screwed to it then....... mugs go nailing plastering beads into the still packed with moisture studs and skim it with filler etc. studs dry out a few months later since the beads nailed into the timber stud start moving and filler cracking. (instead of using external steel paper tape designed to stop this as its on the boards not into the timber with nails) and the paint flakes off them. emulsion dosnt stick.

    then the lazy cowboy gimps who use decorators caulk in all the internal corners. i dont think this is acceptable at all. mainly as it can shrink and its flexable and doing absolutly no good for the plasterboarding or the finishing." WHY WHY WHY WHY DO IT???"

    paper tapes in the externals gives added strenth straighter lines better finish easier to paint and get a proper finish not to mention (caulk) when joiners put the skirtings on it bursts!!! where as paper tape wouldnt unless joiners timbers too long.

    might get hate for this but if your caulking and not paper taping your internals YOUR A COWBOY!!

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Default

    Mate i dont know what to say , Here in the land of oz
    We use nothing but steel external beads , You would get kicked of site for papertaping your externals where im from .
    We dont nail them on we staple them with 8mm staples or just mud them on .
    Steel beads dont dint like paper does it keeps a straighter line .
    Steel is the premuim product here .
    Our conditions can go from 45 degrees celsuis to -2 in 6 months and my house even has steel internal beads (square set perfect angle ) . All up my joint has 187 steel beads 6 years on you would not even find a hairline crack.

  3. #3
    Season ticket holder amestaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,606
    Thanks
    424
    Thanked 281 Times in 226 Posts

    Default

    I think he meant paper internal corners snappy, ive also seen cowboys use decorators caulk for internal corners which kind of eliminates any fire protection.

    I like the steel plastering beads too but understand the comment about timber that has been left in the rain for months. That causes warping problems on all the partition though, not just the corners.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

  4. #4
    Season Ticket Holder scottishlad2k10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    548
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snappy View Post
    Mate i dont know what to say , Here in the land of oz
    We use nothing but steel external beads , You would get kicked of site for papertaping your externals where im from .
    We dont nail them on we staple them with 8mm staples or just mud them on .
    Steel beads dont dint like paper does it keeps a straighter line .
    Steel is the premuim product here .
    Our conditions can go from 45 degrees celsuis to -2 in 6 months and my house even has steel internal beads (square set perfect angle ) . All up my joint has 187 steel beads 6 years on you would not even find a hairline crack.
    well i see that using staples would be better than using nails. the timber here is not the best at all. as the manufacturers dry it out so there is next to no moisture in it but then when they send it out to building merchants the timber lays in a yard.... and gets soaken wet and in ice snow and crappy weather conditions. so why bother drying out the timber when its going to get soaken again you pay for it being dried and get it wet?

    if nails are used to stick the beads on then the timber dries out thats when the problems arrise.

    have you ever used the steel paper external tape? when used right it can stand a beating. ofcourse if its beaten that bad it will be damaged and need replaced im sure it would be the same with steel beads?

    do yous undercoat the steel beads before applying the waterbased coatings?

  5. #5
    Season Ticket Holder scottishlad2k10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    548
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amestaper View Post
    I think he meant paper internal corners snappy, ive also seen cowboys use decorators caulk for internal corners which kind of eliminates any fire protection.

    I like the steel plastering beads too but understand the comment about timber that has been left in the rain for months. That causes warping problems on all the partition though, not just the corners.
    yeah your right ames taper. using the caulk in corners isnt acceptable. as it dosnt seal properly as when paper internals are used its a bit of fire protection aswell as a nicer finish. its a bit like installing fire resistant doors then having gaps in under and around them

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scottishlad2k10 View Post
    well i see that using staples would be better than using nails. the timber here is not the best at all. as the manufacturers dry it out so there is next to no moisture in it but then when they send it out to building merchants the timber lays in a yard.... and gets soaken wet and in ice snow and crappy weather conditions. so why bother drying out the timber when its going to get soaken again you pay for it being dried and get it wet?

    if nails are used to stick the beads on then the timber dries out thats when the problems arrise.

    have you ever used the steel paper external tape? when used right it can stand a beating. ofcourse if its beaten that bad it will be damaged and need replaced im sure it would be the same with steel beads?

    do yous undercoat the steel beads before applying the waterbased coatings?
    We have the steel tape here but its seen as a bit of a inferior product , Me personally ive never used it so cant comment and probly wont be able to the builders wouldn't except it
    mainly because it would be away from the norm.
    Our steel beads get 3 coats . 2 Base coats and the a top coat witch i assume is what you call the waterbased coat . (love how ever country has a differnet name for the same product)
    I did think you meant just plan paper tape on the externals . An i get what you mean about the mousture

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Default

    Im starting to think we are talking about 2 different things are you talking about steel angle that goes on the studs before the plasterboard is hung

  8. #8
    Season Ticket Holder scottishlad2k10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    548
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts

    Default

    plaster_wall-1_A4.jpg < like that but nailed on screwed through the plasterboard into the timber studwork behind

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Default

    Yeah we use those or one's similar , As i said we staple ours but it doesn't penetrate the timber or we use a tool called a crimper which just crimps them in to the board .
    Me i usually just use my mud just lay 10 or so dobs of plaster stick it on trowel it in . Depends how many there are to do .

    I must admit i find it interesting you find these crap . I get a great finish out of them but i am also interested in other methods i like learning new ways

  10. #10
    Season Ticket Holder scottishlad2k10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    548
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts

    Default

    steel bead.jpg< you use them? i use prd corner tape > prd_cornertape.jpg(Paper joint tape bonded to two corrosion resistant metal strips, for manual application only. Supplied in a cardboard dispenser. For reinforcing external angles in plasterboard construction, and ideal for internal or external angles that are not 90)

    but you would never use this for internals without tape or bead would you? > Decorators-Caulk-310ml.jpg

  11. #11
    Season Ticket Holder scottishlad2k10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    548
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snappy View Post
    Yeah we use those or one's similar , As i said we staple ours but it doesn't penetrate the timber or we use a tool called a crimper which just crimps them in to the board .
    Me i usually just use my mud just lay 10 or so dobs of plaster stick it on trowel it in . Depends how many there are to do .

    I must admit i find it interesting you find these crap . I get a great finish out of them but i am also interested in other methods i like learning new ways
    i find them crap because i end up going to jobs which other guys not in our firm have done with steel beads and they dont staple or bed them but they screw or nail them into the studs so when the studs dry out the beads move with the timber and cause cracking along with other damage to the plasterboard tbh ive never used steel beads. just external paper tape as i find it much quicker and easy to work with its what i was taught to use

  12. #12
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Default

    Nah never use the caulk thats as dodgy as it comes
    , We would use the paper joint tape you have ther for sqaure set ( which is what we call taped cieling to wall ) or angles that are not 90 degree or straight flex
    But the premuim product is steel even for internals ,sqaure set and 135 degree internal/externals if you walked to a plaster store here they would have to order in that tape of yours

  13. #13
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scottishlad2k10 View Post
    i find them crap because i end up going to jobs which other guys not in our firm have done with steel beads and they dont staple or bed them but they screw or nail them into the studs so when the studs dry out the beads move with the timber and cause cracking along with other damage to the plasterboard tbh ive never used steel beads. just external paper tape as i find it much quicker and easy to work with its what i was taught to use
    I reckon the tape would be faster allthough these days blokes are using the stopping boxes on the steel ones thats pretty quick

  14. #14
    Season Ticket Holder scottishlad2k10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    548
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts

    Default

    ah i see why wouldnt they have it on the shelf? lol

    yeah i see the guys always using boxes with beads. but im sure you could box the external tape also?

  15. #15
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Default

    Not sure , Could see why not though. Im only just learning the ways of the boxes (hate them so far )
    Put it this way if that tape of yours becomes cheaper it will probly become mainstream here , Cash is king everone wants it cheaper ,we want more money

  16. #16
    Season Ticket Holder scottishlad2k10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    548
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snappy View Post
    Not sure , Could see why not though. Im only just learning the ways of the boxes (hate them so far )
    Put it this way if that tape of yours becomes cheaper it will probly become mainstream here , Cash is king everone wants it cheaper ,we want more money
    roll of external tape 30m 12.21

    roll of internal paper tape 150m 3.40

    internal angle bead pack of 5 @ 2.5m 13.29

    external corner bead Pack of 5 @ 2.5m 22.49

    see what i use works out cheaper than beads lol

  17. #17
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Default

    Ill have to check what the rolls cost here but i know there between $40 - $100 Straight flex is about $50 a roll
    Pack of 20 steel externals is $60 for 54m

  18. #18
    Season Ticket Holder scottishlad2k10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    548
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts

    Default

    so your saying $40 - $100 a roll? jesus! thats 25.71 to 64.27 could get 2 to 4 rolls for that here lol $19.00 aud for a roll here as for the 54meters of bead for $60 ...... could almost get 3 30meter rolls of external tape for that

  19. #19
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Default

    Yeah thats Australia for you .
    Expensive place . Normal roll of papper tape is $90
    A automatic taper (bazooka) will cost $2500-$3500
    But there are good things about it to like my work vechicle
    WS291075.jpg
    400+hp 5.4lt v8 ute for brand new $40,000 roughly 20,000 Pounds

  20. #20
    Season Ticket Holder scottishlad2k10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    548
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snappy View Post
    Yeah thats Australia for you .
    Expensive place . Normal roll of papper tape is $90
    A automatic taper (bazooka) will cost $2500-$3500
    But there are good things about it to like my work vechicle
    WS291075.jpg
    400+hp 5.4lt v8 ute for brand new $40,000 roughly 20,000 Pounds
    5.4litre? you should come visit the uk for a couple of weeks with it. you probably couldnt afford to run it on fuel here for two weeks lol

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Decorators caulk
    By TonyM in forum Painting and decorating
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-09-2017, 07:24 AM
  2. Butt Joints From Hell
    By phil in forum Taping, jointing and drywall finishing
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 17-02-2013, 10:52 PM
  3. rated people
    By JON RAMBO in forum Taping, jointing and drywall finishing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 20-02-2012, 12:26 AM
  4. Stairway to Hell
    By E.K Taper in forum Taping, jointing and drywall finishing
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 27-10-2011, 09:58 PM
  5. Stainless Steel Cutter Blades for the Bazooka
    By cornerbox in forum Taping tools and materials
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-07-2011, 05:54 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •