Thread: wisdom needed

Thanks

Default wisdom needed

hi there all,im new to this forum so go easy on me hahah
    ive been tape and jointing now for about 4 years now on and off(painter and decorator by trade)but now im doing alot more jointing(more shopfitting)so i need to up my production and was thinking about getting a box for now and adding when i master each tool(and because of cost lol)

the way i usually joint is skrim tape and 2-3 coats of gyproc easy fill by hand with metal corner beads and paper internals.what in wondering is would i still use skrim tape and easy fill with the boxes because of the short working time or is there a product specifically and a system to go with it?how many boxes would i need and any other bits,general maintenance,storage between coats and keeping clean?and anything else im missing.....infact,do you want to come and do it for me lol

i know its abit long winded,but im really getting into jointing now and just want to get better and faster.any replys would be great and very much appreciated

Honorary Forum First Aid Guy
    Thanks

Terry my thoughts would be to go for tools to do the internals first, as they take the longest to do.
    Look at the BTE (Better than ever) tools, a tube, an internal applicator, a 3" flusher, a 2" direct flusher, and a handle
    http://www.belmoretools.co.uk/acatal...r_Tools_1.html

Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVA0MrRO9bc

This is the cheap(er) way to start using tools

Boxes and pumps etc http://www.belmoretools.co.uk/acatal..._Tools_56.html

A 10" and 12" box, a pump, and a box handle will get you started.
    You can run fast set/ Easifill through a box but I would fill it from the back, don't use the pump

Thanks

thanks for the reply brian,the better than ever tools look really good and not that bad priced compared to other products.have you or anyone had any experiance in using them?regarding the boxes i think im going to go for the columbia range and use joint cement,would that be the best way?

Thanks

hiya Terry welcome to the forum I use the BTE tools and love them, the mud tube does take a bit of trial and error and can be messy at first, but worth persevering with. I threw mine in the garage for 6 months after 20mins of stress. Alternately you could use a corner roller with the corner flushers a llittle bit cheaper to start off with and an instant impact on your speed on internals

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

my BTE are still in the store,tried them once but did not get on with them.should have perservered abit.

Getting the hang of this wallpaul's Avatar
    Thanks

hiya terry

i use a roller to put ames on the internal then a bte flusher well worth investing.

Thanks

Hi Terry welcome to the forum. I use the BTE kit,cant fault it. Was well worth persevering with, and as you say its reasonably priced in comparison with other manafacturers tools.

Thanks

I agree with Brian, get something that will do your internals 1st. The BTE system is not hard at all to run. If you can play a accordion, you will have no problem, just make you material like a pan cake mix. (not stiff)

As for words of wisdom, run !!!!!! get away from jointing/taping as fast as you can

Honorary Forum First Aid Guy
    Thanks

Terry this is what I carry all the time ( in a plastic Useful box) when we are doing our small refurbs, I would be quite happy to joint a house with just this lot, (plus a Hawk, and a flex edge sander)

Thread Information