Thread: looking for work

Thanks

Default looking for work

Hi there fellow tapers/plasterers how is the work sitution out there? I have just finished at the new low moss prison about 2 weeks ago and iam looking for work any one have any leads ?????????????

Thanks

Flemo PM me your number, if anythin comes up I'll pass it on to my gaffer. its all housing sites though!

Thanks

Depending on how desprate you are, try Baxter & Gillespie, they have picked up a few big sites recently, but i have heard that there prices are laughable.

Thanks

They are laughable, unless you're the one workin for them!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by E.K Taper View Post
    They are laughable, unless you're the one workin for them!

Cant think of another firm with so much work at the moment, as long as you dont want to retire a rich man. Flemo if you contact them be prepared 1 a metre if your really lucky.

Thanks

Default east end?/

Hi there does anyone know who is doing the taping and filling at the commenwealth village in the parkhead area also the new veladrome ??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flemo the trowel View Post
    Hi there does anyone know who is doing the taping and filling at the commenwealth village in the parkhead area also the new veladrome ??
    Yes, its bastard and gillespie

Thanks

My last word (honest) on Bastard and Gillespie. Last week they 're-aligned' (there phrase) prices again. The average reduction was between 15-20% per house. Have heard through the grapevine that they are currently pricing jobs at 1.62 supply and fit. Avoid at all costs.

Thanks

Something just crossed my mind. The shit rates being offered are obviously due to market conditions, supply, demand, desperate times and desperate folks being prepared to work for pennies, but also because the speed that some folks work who have been doing price work for years its still possible to earn well over 500 a week at those rates. If tapers slowed down and said they couldnt cope..... we all know this job will kill you or at least give you strain injuries if not careful so would it still be possible to earn a good wage and not have to push your body to the limits every day? Basically the same money for working half as hard - and could this tactic force taping rates back up again?

Just a thought after a few brews, it seems simple but every taper in the country would have to be on board.

I worked with an older fellow about 10 years ago (the fastest machine taper I ever saw for a 65 year old) and because he was making more cash than anyone else his bonus rates stayed static for 20 years while all other trades around him were raised. He figured that management wanted to keep him pinned at a certain wage and he never matched what they earned no matter how hard he worked for his bosses / contract managers / bonus clerks / pen pushing, tie and suit wearing lazy bastards etc, even though he could easily have been making 100k a year working for himself on the old 714 or SC60 scheme in the 90's.

I couldnt keep a straight face if I was offered the 1.62 mentioned even at a labour only rate. Any main contractor who accepts tenders as low as those from small firms is irresponsible and greedy, they know there is a probability the company could go tits up at worst, and a reasonable chance they wont even finish the job. Those are suicide rates

Who's the main contractor?
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amestaper View Post

Who's the main contractor?
    Taylor Wimpey, Belway, Persimmon, Bovis lend lease No small outfits by any means, they must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Thanks

Times are really tough, it's hard to decide when it comes to low priced jobs but if you don't then somebody else will take it. I've just been offered a job recently, 3 story houses for 2.10 supply and fit, so I told the that I charge that for labour only at least. So in the end we made an agreement with his supply he would pay 1.70 psm and and it's hard flat out work to make that 500 a week, I'd love to tell him to bugger off but there is no work out there at the moment ???

Thanks

I know rates in most places are down by around 20%, and I have read on here some of you posting you wouldn't work for this/that rate etc etc, but I'm curious as to what you feel is a decent weekly or daily wage that you should earn?

I have met tapers in the past who bleat on about they only do commercial work as the money is loads better etc and they can earn 300-400 a day so why should they work for a couple of a sqm, but then fail to realise that while they are sitting at home/in the pub waiting for that commercial job to start they are earning 0 and that 300-400 a day gets halved for every day they are not working and in a lot of cases end up earning less than a taper who does work for a couple of a sqm!.
    "YOUR PRIUS JUST SAVED ALL THE PETROL MY MUSTANG USED!"

Thanks

It's hard to talk about what you should earn per day because the difference on 2 per metre for a straight forward job and an awkward job, is massive at the end of the day. I for example find myself working the whole day with one stop to make 100 per day. If I would work at a normal pace and have 2 breaks and work 8 hours effectively, I would only earn about 70 per day.

In the good times from my personal experience, if I'm getting 2.40 per SM, I could make 200 per day but that's thanks to my ability and drive. You might find some other jointer making even more or less arguably the quality of work would be better or worse. Hope you see my point.......

Thanks

You make a good point saleen, it was a pride/principle thing with me as to why I would not work below X amount per m2. When you mention down 20%, I have been offered 20% of (80%less) than what I was earning 3 years ago and took offence as that can be XXXX's of pounds difference. I left the trade about 2 months ago and may not be back because of it.

Anyone that can make themselves 500 bucks takehome a week without killing themselves in the process has to be doing ok at the moment.
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

That's what I've been contemplating lately amestaper, to leave the trade. ...Mainly because I don't want to do a whole place for the same prices as a 3 piece suit that people will buy for the same house!

Thanks

A potential client of mine thought it ok to pay a plumber 2 to 3 thousand to fit a new bathroom suite in a day, the usual wc, washhand basin, shower bath etc then refuse my quote of 2500 for 2 men working a week to strip a whole 2 bed house of woodchip wallpaper, prep it, line it, decorate to spec including paying the joiner to custom build 2 sets of shelves. I wasn't even close either by all reports, someone else was going to do it all for under a grand. The last time I asked how it was going, the job still wasnt finished.

I will happily work away for a fair price or for free, better not ask me to work for cheap though.

Thanks

We all face the same question, when do you bite the bullet and accept that something is better than nothing?

I have done jobs of late that i wouldnt have touched a few years back, then i hear 'if you dont do it someone else will ' so through gritted teeth i do it. In 9 weeks its xmas and every penny is a prisoner just now, so the bastards are winning.

Thanks

You're better off working than not, I think. As DMC says, 9 weeks till christmas, most of us will have stacks of stuff to buy for our kids so what else can you do? If you have to do 6 jobs for the same money you would normally charge for 5 then you've gotta just do it. Sitting in the house 'on strike' aint going to buy those x-boxes, bikes and iPods, plus, the more work you do the more work you get, the more your name gets known and hopefully some better jobs will come out of it. We've just got to be thankful we got work at the moment. Things will turn in our favour I'm sure of that, it might be next year or the year after but better days will come . For now though, dont let the b*****s grind you down

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by southern jointer View Post
    That's what I've been contemplating lately amestaper, to leave the trade. ...Mainly because I don't want to do a whole place for the same prices as a 3 piece suit that people will buy for the same house!
    Hiya I'm afraid I agree with all of you, getting quite insulting, doing a posh holidiay home a few months ago and getting about 900 for the house the plumber told me that the posh toilet cost 900 really put it perspective, just a piece of sh*t

Thread Information