Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paper or scrim

Thanks

Default Paper or scrim

Does anyone still use paper tape on flats and butts or is it just me. Have seen a few older posts where people have said it is all scrim except internals, really want to use scrim for the speed but am worried about its strength on the butts.

Thanks

hiya and welcome to the forum.
    I always use scrim on flats and butts, now and again had an issue above some doors but not for a long time, if your worried double up the scrim above doors or paper tape them.

Thanks

hi jasbevs,same as crackfiller,used to have issues above doors but wimpey made sheeters cut round them so you only have 1 joint in middle instead of a header piece and that sorted that.crossers on ceilings i give a right good fast set(trowel is closed at end of sweep)then an open 10 box and 12 set at 2, unless you get butts that are peaked then use paper.if above doors is done with header piece use paper but you wont have any bother with ceilings.

Thanks

Cheers lads. Cutting around the doors! Can not believe what I am reading, you will be telling me they make sure all their screws are put in fully and not sticking out 1 mm next, if I get two boards that touch I send thank you cards.

Thanks

hahaha need to try that 1 (thank you cards).will buy a bunch tomorrow and hope message gets through,have stopped putting screws in and painters goin nuts so it shoudlnt be too long b4 agent comes down on sheeters.

Thanks

On a David Wilson site just now, have spent more time with a screwdriver in my hand than i have a trowel, kin joiners suck.

Thanks

Wish I was as brave as big g, loving the idea of saying b@ll@cks to putting screws in and seeing what happens. Good work fella.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DMC View Post
    On a David Wilson site just now, have spent more time with a screwdriver in my hand than i have a trowel, kin joiners suck.
    know the feeling dmc,im getting a lot of screws that have missed but they have just left them in,so unless there in the angles (dont want to bugger my butterfly)im leaving them,going to bring it to a head so they know their not gettin away with it .

Season Ticket Holder belmoreboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Was always under the impression paper tape if applied properly and allowed to set properly is stronger and less likely to crack compared to scrim?!
    Also sell more paper due to face we sell more Auto Tapers and Banjos and scrim no good for these two tools!
    The Uk's No 1 Drylining & Plastering Tool Store
    01603 787464
    http://www.belmoretools.co.uk
    Skype - Facebook - Twitter - Blogger = belmoretools

Check Out http://www.SheetrockDirect.com Buy Sheetrock Products Online !

Thanks

thats the problem,if you were to apply paper tape to all your joints the drying time would be horrendous,it would work if you could get 3 or 4 houses to yourself to work between but now as soon as you start a house their askin when you can have it finished.it probably is stronger but only problems ive had was above doors but not had any since sheeters started cutting round doors and you only have 1 joint in middle instead of 2 with a header piece,it seems to have strengthened joint.with paper on the flats if you dont let it dry properly you end up with tram lines where the paper seems to be floating on the cement,its just too time consuming to use paper on the flats.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by big g View Post
    know the feeling dmc,im getting a lot of screws that have missed but they have just left them in,so unless there in the angles (dont want to bugger my butterfly)im leaving them,going to bring it to a head so they know their not gettin away with it .
    This is exactly what I have been doing for ages now, other tapers that work for same company are also doing the same!
    "YOUR PRIUS JUST SAVED ALL THE PETROL MY MUSTANG USED!"

Thanks

I've just been calling the boarders retards and now they aren't talking to me and I think they don't like me.

Thanks

Even if the sheeters thought I was a knob for not screwing in 500 screw heads for them, I at least knew the painters had my back. If there were any more than 20 to 30 visible in one plot I was forever complaining about it then I would just leave them. But you know, if they had paid for and fitted new blades every time one chipped on a screw head, or sander driveshaft snapped in the same manner, or threw me a bung for downtime then I may have had a wee a bit more consideration towards them.

Problem is though, up here most site agents were once joiners and joiners mostly do the sheeting so the majority are ignorant to our trade and have no idea what you're talking about

... so we may as well bang your head on a plasterboard wall and complain elsewhere.
    Last edited by amestaper; 01-04-2012 at 05:07 PM. Reason: just a few typos and will leave the electricians out of this
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to amestaper For This Useful Post:

Davie@ATT (15-06-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amestaper View Post
    Even if the sheeters thought I was a knob for not screwing in 500 screw heads for them, I at least knew the painters had my back. If there were any more than 20 to 30 visible in one plot I was forever complaining about it then I would just leave them. But you know, if they had paid for and fitted new blades every time one chipped on a screw head, or sander driveshaft snapped in the same manner, or threw me a bung for downtime then I may have had a wee a bit more consideration towards them.

Problem is though, up here most site agents were once joiners and joiners mostly do the sheeting so the majority are ignorant to our trade and have no idea what you're talking about

... so we may as well bang your head on a plasterboard wall and complain elsewhere.
    hi ames,ive complained to joiners, complained to their boss and not getting very far,and the main job im on the agent is very big on snaggin finishing trades,(nose up against the wall stuff)so if i leave them and painter leaves them, hes got no option but to speak to sheeters.thats the theory anyway, will see if it works.

Season Ticket Holder scottishlad2k10's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jasbevs View Post
    Does anyone still use paper tape on flats and butts or is it just me. Have seen a few older posts where people have said it is all scrim except internals, really want to use scrim for the speed but am worried about its strength on the butts.
    i always use scrim on new plasterboard but only on the flats & paper on the internals.

i always use paper on old cracked or plasterboard thats never been taped (old houses) where the plasterboards been filled (no tapes) and just painted as its better stick it on with the finish filler as finish/readymix stick to paint like sh** to fur

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amestaper View Post

i refuse to sink/send home any screws that are flush or sticking out.
    same as i refuse to pick up a hammer and nail punch or pair of pincers while painting woodwork because the joiners hit a knot with the bradgun or didnt set the depth properly

stuff joiners they have it far too easy!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    I've just been calling the boarders retards and now they aren't talking to me and I think they don't like me.
    LOL SOOOOO SIMILAR TO ME! IM ALWAYS........... "AH FU**ING JOINERS THIS JOINERS THAT" gets on their nerves

Thanks

Started a job today where the guy doing the boarding used an impact driver to put the screws in and after driving a few right through the board decided it would be best to leave them all out a bit! And I mean ALL, took my mate ages to put them in.

Thanks

Yes, scrim for me too. been asked by agents now and again to put paper tape on door headers and thats fair enough. Dont get me started on sticky-out screws though...............

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by E.K Taper View Post
    Yes, scrim for me too. been asked by agents now and again to put paper tape on door headers and thats fair enough. Dont get me started on sticky-out screws though...............
    Not sure if we would get away we scrim up here! Dont get me wrong i have used it but not really been back 2 c the houses i have done with it!!! So who knows, and what kind of fast set u guys using?

Thread Information