Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paper or scrim

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beermonster View Post
    Not sure if we would get away we scrim up here! Dont get me wrong i have used it but not really been back 2 c the houses i have done with it!!! So who knows, and what kind of fast set u guys using?
    hi beermonster,only 1 fast set for me,BG red bag,stays at same consistity for 90 minutes,easy to use,easy to mix and sets solid.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to big g For This Useful Post:

Beermonster (10-04-2012)

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by big g View Post
    hi beermonster,only 1 fast set for me,BG red bag,stays at same consistity for 90 minutes,easy to use,easy to mix and sets solid.
    Yea bg fastset sets solid thats for sure!U guys down south from me use scrim all the time!Not sure why u guys r dif from up here but scrim is not a thing used much about these parts!!!There r a couple tapers that use it but they r not very good tapers,Nothing 2 do with the scrim just the tapers!!!

Season Ticket Holder scottishlad2k10's Avatar
    Thanks

Not sure if we would get away we scrim up here! Dont get me wrong i have used it but not really been back 2 c the houses i have done with it!!! So who knows, and what kind of fast set u guys using?
    gyproc

Season Ticket Holder scottishlad2k10's Avatar
    Thanks

Yea bg fastset sets solid thats for sure!U guys down south from me use scrim all the time!Not sure why u guys r dif from up here but scrim is not a thing used much about these parts!!!There r a couple tapers that use it but they r not very good tapers,Nothing 2 do with the scrim just the tapers!!!
    where is up here beer monster? ive always used fibaa tape. and most of the boys i know use it too (north west scotland) only boys with machines and tape shooters use paper here. as i cant see you being able to dispence the fibre tape from a machine? dont quote me on that just a guesstimate.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scottishlad2k10 View Post
    where is up here beer monster? ive always used fibaa tape. and most of the boys i know use it too (north west scotland) only boys with machines and tape shooters use paper here. as i cant see you being able to dispence the fibre tape from a machine? dont quote me on that just a guesstimate.
    Up in aberdeenshire lad!

Thanks

used to use paper on all my joints and to be honest by the time you go round sticking fiba you could have half a house paper taped with bazooka assuming the sheetings up to the mark(no blocking out)and i prefer working with velvet,its just the drying time.

Thanks

British Gypsum Joint Filler, Beermonster! It seems to be the norm down here, never see any sites loaded up with lafarge etc

Thanks

Always used machines so never used the scrim tape appart from on little repairs and even then its still sh1t and shows through the material , Up in aberdeen the council site's wont allow scrim now because it shows through on internals, As for screws i always get hold of the joiners that have sheeted the house to go round and check the screws before i start if the refuse i just go tell the site agent there's screws sticking out all over that soon gets them moving, I aint spending time doing there job and if i ever do i bill them for my time , Easy !!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chabev10 View Post
    Always used machines so never used the scrim tape appart from on little repairs and even then its still sh1t and shows through the material , Up in aberdeen the council site's wont allow scrim now because it shows through on internals, As for screws i always get hold of the joiners that have sheeted the house to go round and check the screws before i start if the refuse i just go tell the site agent there's screws sticking out all over that soon gets them moving, I aint spending time doing there job and if i ever do i bill them for my time , Easy !!!
    hey chabev,only time i would use scrim on angles is when plastering, never taping,every taper i know on house bashing uses fiba,you just dont get the time now or price to paper tape everything,and dont have any probs with it showing through BG stuff.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chabev10 View Post
    Paper tape only on internals for me, scrim is OK for flat tapes.

Thanks

paper tape definitely gives a better finish and don't crack. i thought scrim was illegal for joins and internals only allowed for patching. with cheap tools like the homax banjo and delko i agree with big g i can have most of the job paper taped in the time sticking scrim

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

Theres nothing wrong with using scrim if boarding is good..but you would only ever use it on flat joints definitely not internals, big g is correct about drying time you just can't use paper tape unless you've got a few houses to work in at once and thats just not happening at the moment

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klhplaster View Post
    paper tape definitely gives a better finish and don't crack. i thought scrim was illegal for joins and internals only allowed for patching. with cheap tools like the homax banjo and delko i agree with big g i can have most of the job paper taped in the time sticking scrim
    Thats all well and good, but remember you've got to mix your cement up and get your bazooka and pump out! I would have the house fiba'd up by the time your gear was mixed up...................Time is money........Oh, and by the time you've got your tapes on, then bed them in, I would have the house coated wi fast set! Ive only got 2 more coats to go, and you've got THREE! (and a shed load of tools to hose out) I can start 10 boxing in a couple of hours whereas you will need to wait till tomorrow to 7" box...... I will be running the 12" box and you'll be wondering if yours is dry enough to 10" box!
    Hmmmm, I think Fibe Tape makes you more money, dont ya think?????????

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by E.K Taper View Post
    Thats all well and good, but remember you've got to mix your cement up and get your bazooka and pump out! I would have the house fiba'd up by the time your gear was mixed up...................Time is money........Oh, and by the time you've got your tapes on, then bed them in, I would have the house coated wi fast set! Ive only got 2 more coats to go, and you've got THREE! (and a shed load of tools to hose out) I can start 10 boxing in a couple of hours whereas you will need to wait till tomorrow to 7" box...... I will be running the 12" box and you'll be wondering if yours is dry enough to 10" box!
    sorry i disagree homax banjo and delko is a very simple set up and gives you your 1st coat if anything it saves time. precision taping has a good video on youtube to see them in use. its time to get set up for paper as scrim no longer meets building regulations

16. The Following User Says Thank You to klhplaster For This Useful Post:

E.K Taper (03-05-2012)

Thanks

Nothing against scrim in building regulations here, klh, where you based then?

Honorary Forum First Aid Guy
    Thanks

EK I think I think KLH is an Aussie, definitely like the look of the Homax, will be looking to add that to my collection.

Thanks

spot on brian

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by E.K Taper View Post
    hi ek,1st day would have paper taped flats and angle taped,2nd day flex and 7 inch start 2nd on flex,3rd day 10 inch and 2nd rest of flex,finish angles,4th day 12box finish flex.thats saying everythings dry each day to do that and it wouldnt be,so only thing stopping me is the drying time,i think 3 and a half to 4 days on a standard 4 bedder is fine and i dont do it any quicker than that with fiba.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by big g View Post
    hi ek,1st day would have paper taped flats and angle taped,2nd day flex and 7 inch start 2nd on flex,3rd day 10 inch and 2nd rest of flex,finish angles,4th day 12box finish flex.thats saying everythings dry each day to do that and it wouldnt be,so only thing stopping me is the drying time,i think 3 and a half to 4 days on a standard 4 bedder is fine and i dont do it any quicker than that with fiba.

Hey big g u should get some paper faced beads and a hopper!! Compared 2 putting on flex u will enjoy the job!
    No matter how bad the boarding u can fire them on.Oh and a roller!

Thanks

Hey big g u should get some paper faced beads and a hopper!! Compared 2 putting on flex u will enjoy the job!
    No matter how bad the boarding u can fire them on.Oh and a roller!
    hi beermonster,boy i subby to supplies,and its wondertex flex,sometimes fine other times really bad,would like to try it though,hear good things about that stuff but dont think it will be anytime soon as wimpey are at him to drop his prices (or so he tells me)so dont think he will pay the extra for paper faced.what do you put through hopper with paper faced.

Thread Information