Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Paper or scrim

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Hey chief,Yea that wondertex can b sh*t! What i found with it is adout 5-10m from the end of the roll it starts getting like a kink in it!!
    Dropping prices i cant see that going on now as we r past the worst of it(I hope) The beads come in at about 65 for 120 meters which is not bad as u will pay what 10 a roll for wondertex/Gyproc/Lafarge flex and u have a much better corner that can take a knock or 2 without splitting!Tell him 2 contact Marcus at belmore he might get a good deal if he is buying alot. Good luck lad u dont know what ur missing! Dont get me wrong it took me a while 2 get into them but now there is no going back.
    I just use any ready mix i have at the time but the best is greentop usg! I will throw in some pva just 2 help but i do that when putting tapes on aswell.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Beermonster For This Useful Post:

big g (03-05-2012)

Thanks

I pull normal flex through a hopper works fine also

4. The Following User Says Thank You to crack filler For This Useful Post:

big g (03-05-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beermonster View Post
    Hey chief,Yea that wondertex can b sh*t! What i found with it is adout 5-10m from the end of the roll it starts getting like a kink in it!!
    Dropping prices i cant see that going on now as we r past the worst of it(I hope) The beads come in at about 65 for 120 meters which is not bad as u will pay what 10 a roll for wondertex/Gyproc/Lafarge flex and u have a much better corner that can take a knock or 2 without splitting!Tell him 2 contact Marcus at belmore he might get a good deal if he is buying alot. Good luck lad u dont know what ur missing! Dont get me wrong it took me a while 2 get into them but now there is no going back.
    I just use any ready mix i have at the time but the best is greentop usg! I will throw in some pva just 2 help but i do that when putting tapes on aswell.
    hi beermonster,tried a tub of green top this week,he gave me a tub of blue and a tub of green,not enough to box a house with so i used green to second coat flex and blue to finish,couldnt see much of a difference between the two,it looks nice but a bit too soft for me.
    ive never bedded in flex with anything other than a setting compound,it would be nice to do it with a ready mix but scared to try it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crack filler View Post
    I pull normal flex through a hopper works fine also
    what do you put through hopper crack

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by big g View Post
    what do you put through hopper crack
    Whatever joint cement I'm using at the time and then use a corner roller to wipe it out. Get the whole house on then coat it up with fast set. Boarding has to be pretty tidy though. But it speed it up a treat

8. The Following User Says Thank You to crack filler For This Useful Post:

big g (04-05-2012)

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Hey big g that greentop stuff takes some hold of tapes! Best i have tried,u cant pull a tape of if its on with that stuff it just comes of in bits!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Beermonster For This Useful Post:

big g (04-05-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by E.K Taper View Post
    Thats all well and good, but remember you've got to mix your cement up and get your bazooka and pump out! I would have the house fiba'd up by the time your gear was mixed up...................Time is money........Oh, and by the time you've got your tapes on, then bed them in, I would have the house coated wi fast set! Ive only got 2 more coats to go, and you've got THREE! (and a shed load of tools to hose out) I can start 10 boxing in a couple of hours whereas you will need to wait till tomorrow to 7" box...... I will be running the 12" box and you'll be wondering if yours is dry enough to 10" box!
    Hmmmm, I think Fibe Tape makes you more money, dont ya think?????????
    Scrim tape or easy tape we call here is always going to be quicker . But not quick enough to risk using it , ive had 3 call backs in 13 years and the were all cracked joints from using it .

Every resto Ive ever been to with cracking through out the house has always been scrim tape . On top of that no manufacturer in this country Knauf/Lafarge Csr gyproc, Boral will garentee it . Unless you back block every join walls and ceilings that being said also in this country we hang the board and this would add alot more cost and time . The guys that use easy tape in this country are generally labelled cowboys .

Plus i used both and scrim tape saves you 20 mins at best. 20 minutes time saved but at the cost of your customer having a decent job for a extra 5 years

Honorary Forum First Aid Guy
    Thanks

Trouble with paper taping everything is the drying time, tape an 1st coat, and maybe 2nd coat in a day, let that dry off for a day, then 3rd coat, then the drying time before sanding, unless you hot mud the tape and 1st coat
    With scrim it's possible (maybe) to get the 3 coats on in a day

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
    Trouble with paper taping everything is the drying time, tape an 1st coat, and maybe 2nd coat in a day, let that dry off for a day, then 3rd coat, then the drying time before sanding, unless you hot mud the tape and 1st coat
    With scrim it's possible (maybe) to get the 3 coats on in a day
    In Australia , Every thing is hot mud or as we call it base coat 1st and 2nd, apart from your 3rd finishing coat .
    Again multi purpose compound are not backed by any manufacturer here so if we use them we are on our own . Plus our time limits are to tight whe basically have to 100 m2 a day thats hang,stop,cornice so a 700m2 house is 7 days there is no time to wait for things to dry.

Thanks

Been taping for 22 years and have always used scrim (fibre tape where im from) here in the maritimes our wood is always damp and our houses are relentless for cracks. I just recently switched to paper tape and love it. I find it faster. I use the homex banjo. Yeah the drying times are longer but when you use a hot mud, it sets up but it does not completly dry. And puting your A/P over wet hotmud can create just as much problems as paper. But thats just my opinion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    I've just been calling the boarders retards and now they aren't talking to me and I think they don't like me.
    Animals ....I tell ya ...there Animals!!!!

Thanks

Hows things with you, Moore? Keeping busy?

Thanks

I take it scrim is mesh ....Good Lord!!! Tape with paper.. so you all can sleep at night without worry...
    Last edited by moore; 18-07-2012 at 12:03 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by E.K Taper View Post
    Hows things with you, Moore? Keeping busy?
    busy enough ... but..Not as busy as I would like to be... GD low ballers!! ungalay ....ungalay....

Thread Information