drywallschool.com

Thread: Any advice on cause of bulge on bedroom ceiling?

Thanks

Default Any advice on cause of bulge on bedroom ceiling?

Hi, for at least a year there has been a bulge on my bedroom ceiling (see photos).
    It doesn't feel wet or damp but i can push it in a bit. Think the ceiling is artexed (house is 10 yrs old). Because i've been prodding it some of the artex has now flaked off (photos show before and after!) and behind the artex it feels almost like paper which is still a bit soft but can only be pushed so far before the surface is hard again (I'm assuming this is the plasterboard).
    My Dad went up on the roof but couldn't see anything obvious. Also went in the loft, the bulge is probably under the insulation but is in an awkward area where the roof meets the floor so can't really get close to see it properly.
    Do you think it could be something to do with the ames taping rather than a leak as it does not feel damp?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Looks like the paper artex tape has blown. Possibly because of too little gear behind the tape, or due to movement. Welcome to the forum.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyM For This Useful Post:

Emma (01-04-2012)

Thanks

Thanks. I had posted the pic on another forum and everyone was telling me it was a leak. When you say paper artex tape what do you mean (sorry for being thick but i have very little knowledge of this sort of thing). Is there an easy way to fix it? Thanks.

Thanks

It seems the plaster has bubbled or lifted slightly.Nothing major plaster can sometimes flake. as your pushing up and it is soft and then you are hitting something hard i would think the hard thing is plasterboard.Using a stanley knife you should cut out the bubbled area and then fill this with a filling knife. Use a filler of some sort-your local paint shop will advise. Try to make it flat in near the corner where the finish is straight,sand it if you think necessary to make it match in with the bit in corner.apply a bit of white paint afterwards and it should be ok. Hope this helps.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to happytaper For This Useful Post:

Emma (01-04-2012)

Thanks

Thanks for that. I have poly filler in the house and also caulk. Which would you recommend and is there a cheats way to making it look like it's textured to match the artex?

Thanks

Hiya there are cheats but it might be worth a little trip to b and q. Scrape off all the loose artex and paint with some PVA buy a small tub of ready mix artex. It looks like the pattern you have is broken leather so this is going to sound strange but wrap a hair brush in a carrier bag, put the artex on with some sort of filling knife then push the hairbrush and bag on twist and pull off. Use a paintbrush to get the flat effect around the edge. Leave to dry and paint

9. The Following User Says Thank You to crack filler For This Useful Post:

Emma (02-04-2012)

Season Ticket Holder scottishlad2k10's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Emma View Post
    Hi, for at least a year there has been a bulge on my bedroom ceiling (see photos).
    It doesn't feel wet or damp but i can push it in a bit. Think the ceiling is artexed (house is 10 yrs old). Because i've been prodding it some of the artex has now flaked off (photos show before and after!) and behind the artex it feels almost like paper which is still a bit soft but can only be pushed so far before the surface is hard again (I'm assuming this is the plasterboard).
    My Dad went up on the roof but couldn't see anything obvious. Also went in the loft, the bulge is probably under the insulation but is in an awkward area where the roof meets the floor so can't really get close to see it properly.
    Do you think it could be something to do with the ames taping rather than a leak as it does not feel damp?
    the tape behind the artex has gone bos........ the filler holding the tape on was probably mixed too heavy/thick so the tape didnt adhere to the filler properly. its baisically a sandwich

artex & tape
    air
    filler & plasterboard

you wont find no buldge in the loft area

11. The Following User Says Thank You to scottishlad2k10 For This Useful Post:

Emma (04-04-2012)

Thread Information