Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed on plasterboard finishing

Thanks

Question Advice needed on plasterboard finishing

seeking sound advice on a small problem. I am having problems trying to find information on how to finish of my plasterboard where it meets the ceiling. the ceiling is freshly plastered.
    what and how should i finish it?
    I am thinking with paper tape. If so in what order should I do it? my boards are tapered to should I fill those first and then paper tape to the ceiling and treat it the same as a internal corner or just tape flat to the ceiling?

I have looked high and low for these answers so any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance

Steve

Thanks

Paper tape is the way to go but my first thoughts are why didnt you get the walls plastered at the same time, or tape out the whole lot in one go? Any chance you could link to, or upload a photo so we can see where you're at?
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    seeking sound advice on a small problem. I am having problems trying to find information on how to finish of my plasterboard where it meets the ceiling. the ceiling is freshly plastered.
    what and how should i finish it?
    I am thinking with paper tape. If so in what order should I do it? my boards are tapered to should I fill those first and then paper tape to the ceiling and treat it the same as a internal corner or just tape flat to the ceiling?

I have looked high and low for these answers so any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance

Steve
    hi steved,sames as ames thats a strange 1,sounds as if walls were sheeted after ceiling was plastered,paper tape ceiling angles after you pva the new plaster first.are you asking how to tape walls and what materials to use.apologies if you know but its not clear in your question.

Thanks

Hi and thanks amestaper and big g for your replies. hopefully i can answer this clearly and maybe upload a photo or 2.
    Firstly this is a new build being undertaken by myself. the location is Spain and trying to obtain information here is impossible. the reason why the ceiling was plastered first is mainly the mess. I had a company plaster my ceilings throughout, they use spraying machines here and work very messy they advised me to plasterboard one the work was completed.
    So here lies my problem how do i finish the plasterboard where it meets the ceiling. where i am at is I have fixed the plasterboard in place and now need to start taping and jointing.
    hopefully this clears up my explanation and thanks for your replies.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by steved; 13-04-2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: inseted a photo

Thanks

Hi and thanks amestaper and big g for your replies. hopefully i can answer this clearly and maybe upload a photo or 2.
    Firstly this is a new build being undertaken by myself. the location is Spain and trying to obtain information here is impossible. the reason why the ceiling was plastered first is mainly the mess. I had a company plaster my ceilings throughout, they use spraying machines here and work very messy they advised me to plasterboard one the work was completed.
    So here lies my problem how do i finish the plasterboard where it meets the ceiling. where i am at is I have fixed the plasterboard in place and now need to start taping and jointing.
    hopefully this clears up my explanation and thanks for your replies.
    hi steved,alright for some working in spain lol,just tape as normal but pva the ceiling.

Thanks

So just that i understand this correctly. I can paper tape the ceiling angles after applying pva to the fresh plaster first. but before that I should paper the tapered edges first.
    Many thanks for your time and patience. As to working in Spain I came here after 22 years in HMF army and will set up a fishing business once I complete my house. sometimes I wonder if I have taken on too much but will get there in the end. at least the weather is nice
    regards
    Steve

Thanks

Hi steved, Amestaper and bigG's advice is good although I would just have mesh taped the top of the plasterboard, without overlapping onto the ceiling, and coated it up with fast set and cement

8. The Following User Says Thank You to E.K Taper For This Useful Post:

steved (14-04-2012)

Thanks

So just that i understand this correctly. I can paper tape the ceiling angles after applying pva to the fresh plaster first. but before that I should paper the tapered edges first.
    Many thanks for your time and patience. As to working in Spain I came here after 22 years in HMF army and will set up a fishing business once I complete my house. sometimes I wonder if I have taken on too much but will get there in the end. at least the weather is nice
    regards
    Steve
    what i would do is mesh tape tape flat joints and cover with a setting compound,2nd coat with a finishing compound,angle tape with finishing compound,then final coat everything.remember to pva ceiling,good luck, but if you need help have trowel willing to travel lol.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to big g For This Useful Post:

steved (14-04-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by E.K Taper View Post
    Hi steved, Amestaper and bigG's advice is good although I would just have mesh taped the top of the plasterboard, without overlapping onto the ceiling, and coated it up with fast set and cement
    ps,use paper tape on all internal angles and flex or thin coat beads on externals.

Thanks

my biggest problem here is the materials and the language barrier. They only seem to have one sort of compound it comes in three variants 4hrs 8hrs and 24hrs setting times. Being a complete novice myself I am not sure about setting compounds and finishing compounds but in the Uk at least I could ask for them.
    By final coat you are referring to just the joints? Mesh tape I presume is the self sticking with holes as opposed to paper.
    If you are into fishing big g get your trowel packed and lets go
    many thanks to all for the replies now I have an idea where to start. just hope my compound is up to the job

Thanks

my biggest problem here is the materials and the language barrier. They only seem to have one sort of compound it comes in three variants 4hrs 8hrs and 24hrs setting times. Being a complete novice myself I am not sure about setting compounds and finishing compounds but in the Uk at least I could ask for them.
    By final coat you are referring to just the joints? Mesh tape I presume is the self sticking with holes as opposed to paper.
    If you are into fishing big g get your trowel packed and lets go
    many thanks to all for the replies now I have an idea where to start. just hope my compound is up to the job
    hi,not sure about your compound and how hard it sets, so use paper on flat joints instead of mesh,and final coat is just the joints but after its dry and sanded you could roll the full walls with a coat of primer prior to painting.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to big g For This Useful Post:

steved (14-04-2012)

Thanks

posted 2 more pics in case it helps. Suprised nobody picked me up on the swimming pool ladder in my first pic I posted. and once again thanks to everyone for all your help. Will be starting the job next week after I finish tiling. looking forward to a change of work again
    Attached Images Attached Images

Season Ticket Holder scottishlad2k10's Avatar
    Thanks

its an easy fix steved ive had to do this on many jobs like erm........ jobs where only the external walls of the house were being stripped then insulated reboarded and taped. just run the papertape up the corner but not around it. plenty fast set it wont crack. cowboy? i dont know but it was better than the joiners sticking wooden beads up the internal corners.

Thanks

If it was my house I would tape the walls, then cove the corners.
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Getting the hang of this Captain perfect's Avatar
    Thanks

Down south we would paper tape the walls & cornice the ceiling !!
    Milk No Sugar.

Thanks

tape the walls stick up a nice cornice problem solved

Thanks

while the idea of cornices sound good I have a complete house to do, and I should imagine the costs would be expensive. I would therefore look at main areas maybe and not the bedrooms.

Thanks

plain old gyproc 100m coving if you can get it cheap as chips 25 per box 6 x 3m lenths if you can get it in spain .

Getting the hang of this Captain perfect's Avatar
    Thanks

I am pretty sure the local Spanish finnish is a wet finger over some painters caulk!
    Milk No Sugar.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Captain perfect View Post
    I am pretty sure the local Spanish finnish is a wet finger over some painters caulk!
    Lol. You could be right with some Se Vende properties I saw down there.

Thread Information