Thread: Extra work

Thanks

Default Extra work

I have been machine taping and filling for two years I recently took on a large contract for a community hall I have been informed by the builder that my tender should have included a cost for extra work caused by other contractors, mainly electricians and plumbers that have put hatches in the plasterboard to move cables or pipes, I have questioned this and I wanted to post it onto your forum for feedback as I think that this may be incorrect as I only priced for the number of metres required to complete the job, nothing more. This was a scottish minor works contract

Thanks

If your tender included a square meterage price only, do you have that in writing? Why don't you give the builder your per hour day works rate for any snags or alterations caused by other trades. Seems he's pennypinching and possibly taking advantage of any inexperience you may have in my opinion. If you claim dayworks from the builder for extra work against the electricians and plumbers (no surprise there then) then they will in turn get billed by the builder as it is their mistakes and snags you are putting right... isn't it? You've already done what was asked of you, maybe they should have done their job right first time???

I don't know your complete set of circumstances. Maybe the builder will offer you a years steady work on another site, or maybe it's only a couple of hours of snagging work then I would just get on with it but make sure they know you're giving them something for nothing. If they want an extra weeks work for free, I think they are taking the piss and you can bet your arse the builder knows it.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to amestaper For This Useful Post:

skyetaper (11-05-2009)

Thanks

My opinion is that you should ask for more cash from the builder. Good luck.

Thanks

Plumbers and sparks. the usual suspects.
    The only defence a plumber or electrician could make was that the plasterboard was screwed up before there job was completed, that would then pass the buck onto the builder and i'm presuming they did the sheeting themselves and never used subbies. Either way, as long as you did your job to the correct specs, then it is not your fault and you deserve to be reimbursed in some way or other for putting someone else f*ckup right.
    This has probably happened to us all, accept that some people you work for will like to have freebies thrown in (its a value add and a good selling point). Its not a disaster, as long as you have learned something from your experience.

Thanks

Default Sorted Thanks

Thanks for your input I talked with the builder and told him its not on and stressed that I quoted my price psm and the extra work would cost me 4 days, in short he has agreed that 4 days at my day rate is agreed.
    I will be using this site again you all seem to know the crack !

Quote Originally Posted by amestaper View Post
    If your tender included a square meterage price only, do you have that in writing? Why don't you give the builder your per hour day works rate for any snags or alterations caused by other trades. Seems he's pennypinching and possibly taking advantage of any inexperience you may have in my opinion. If you claim dayworks from the builder for extra work against the electricians and plumbers (no surprise there then) then they will in turn get billed by the builder as it is their mistakes and snags you are putting right... isn't it? You've already done what was asked of you, maybe they should have done their job right first time???

I don't know your complete set of circumstances. Maybe the builder will offer you a years steady work on another site, or maybe it's only a couple of hours of snagging work then I would just get on with it but make sure they know you're giving them something for nothing. If they want an extra weeks work for free, I think they are taking the piss and you can bet your arse the builder knows it.

Thanks

Good for you and hope you took your time doing the dayworks. 1-0 to the taper.

PS. Dont be shy with the thanks as JP gave some good advice.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thread Information